PDA

View Full Version : 1989 4x4 truck

franktown99
04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a 1989 4X4 withe a 22re I think it has a w-56 trans (5 speed )dose anyone know if there are any special tools required to R&R the input shaft bearing and how hard is it. Any input would be awsome. Thanks

TIMZTOY
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Slide hammer with a bearing puller.

I've also seen a trick but never done it. Fill the hole with greese and find a round tube to fit the hole and hammer the round Tube into the hole. The force will force the grease to push the bearing out. A 3/8" socket that fits the holl with a extention in backwords should fill the void nicely

nuclearlemon
04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Slide hammer with a bearing puller.

I've also seen a trick but never done it. Fill the hole with greese and find a round tube to fit the hole and hammer the round Tube into the hole. The force will force the grease to push the bearing out. A 3/8" socket that fits the holl with a extention in backwords should fill the void nicely

that'd be for the pilot bearing. he asked about the input shaft bearing. which one do you mean, franktown :confused:

input shaft bearing, if it's like a big truck, is on the mainshaft inside the front bearing cover. could try heating the bearing if it's already trashed...might make it expand enough to slide off the shaft, but i've never torn into a w56, so i couldn't say for sure.

TIMZTOY
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
that'd be for the pilot bearing. he asked about the input shaft bearing. which one do you mean, franktown :confused:

input shaft bearing, if it's like a big truck, is on the mainshaft inside the front bearing cover. could try heating the bearing if it's already trashed...might make it expand enough to slide off the shaft, but i've never torn into a w56, so i couldn't say for sure.

tomato tamato.. lol my bad.. :lmao::lmao: any ways theres a good shad tree trick for a piolit bearing.. lol

franktown99
04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah I think the pilot bearing is ok. I got some good advise on here before that helped me narrow it down to the input bearing. P.S. on the pilot use wax (a candle) insted of grease it works just as well and way easyer to clean.