PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Boondoggle

pmccumber
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
On my 80, the thing leaks out of the DS, rattled like a Mariachi band, and whistled like a steam engine through and ever broadening range of speeds.

So, I got a new OEM gasket, photocopied the FSM sections of relevance, and scheduled Elite to pop it out and reinstall with the new gasket following recommended procedures.

Oh they popped it; blew it up in the first 2 minutes of trying to remove it. So then they came back with new glass 6 hours later and spent 2 hours pulling, stretching, and poking trying to get the new one until it blew as well.

Now I get to come home early on Monday and watch the shennaniginz again. I think Will Ferrell will play the role of my glass installer in the movie.

Not only that, I got &(#% Chinese cheapo glass and glass shards EVERYWHERE inside my cab and in my engine bay.

I really need to see somebody working on my rig who isn't treating it like Sherman marching across the Georgia.

Uncle Ben
04-11-2010, 11:16 AM
On my 80, the thing leaks out of the DS, rattled like a Mariachi band, and whistled like a steam engine through and ever broadening range of speeds.

So, I got a new OEM gasket, photocopied the FSM sections of relevance, and scheduled Elite to pop it out and reinstall with the new gasket following recommended procedures.

Oh they popped it; blew it up in the first 2 minutes of trying to remove it. So then they came back with new glass 6 hours later and spent 2 hours pulling, stretching, and poking trying to get the new one until it blew as well.

Now I get to come home early on Monday and watch the shennaniginz again. I think Will Ferrell will play the role of my glass installer in the movie.

Not only that, I got &(#% Chinese cheapo glass and glass shards EVERYWHERE inside and in my engine bay.

I really need to see somebody working on my rig who isn't treating it like Sherman marching across the Georgia.

I think your dealing with a boob that works for Elite more than the company itself. I have used them exclusivly for several years and I have zero complaints! Try taking it to the shop rather than having them come to you.

treerootCO
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Last 80 windshield I had installed was through Elite with a non OEM gasket. I have no complaints with the install. There are no leaks and no wind noise. They did use Chinese glass though. Not sure if there is any way around that anymore.

Make sure your wind noise isn't coming from the sun roof. You will hear the whistle from the passenger side A pillar.

Shark Bait
04-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I went up to see Jerry Ekberg at Boulder Toyota and he had Elite do it. It went fine and I got a great deal. :cool:

pmccumber
04-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Make sure your wind noise isn't coming from the sun roof. You will hear the whistle from the passenger side A pillar.

Awright, hode up. Seriously? Specifically, what is the source of the whistle then?

Crash
04-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Elite replaced the windshield on the 80 and it took the installer two tries after blowing up the first replacement glass. Then I took the truck to an autobody shop for an estimate to repair the gouges on the roof and A-pillars - $800! Called Elite, they said they would pay for it. Took the truck back to the Elite-approved body shop and they wouldn't do the repairs because Elite was refusing to pay for a similar situation on a car they originally said they would pay for repairs on. Elite said "sorry" and that was it, no repairs made. The boob installer screwed up the paint and first windshield and then Elite wouldn't pay for the repairs. No more Elite autoglass for me.

Uncle Ben
04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Elite replaced the windshield on the 80 and it took the installer two tries after blowing up the first replacement glass. Then I took the truck to an autobody shop for an estimate to repair the gouges on the roof and A-pillars - $800! Called Elite, they said they would pay for it. Took the truck back to the Elite-approved body shop and they wouldn't do the repairs because Elite was refusing to pay for a similar situation on a car they originally said they would pay for repairs on. Elite said "sorry" and that was it, no repairs made. The boob installer screwed up the paint and first windshield and then Elite wouldn't pay for the repairs. No more Elite autoglass for me.

Interesting! Maybe it's what glass shop did it more than anything....I don't know. Poor customer service means a lot to me! If they don't care if I come back I don't have any reason to go there in the first place!

Nay
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Try taking it to the shop rather than having them come to you.

He'll need a windshield for that :lmao: (sorry, couldn't help it)

Uncle Ben
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
He'll need a windshield for that :lmao: (sorry, couldn't help it)

Read man! All he needs is eye protection and he can drive it anywhere! :p: :hill:

RockRunner
04-11-2010, 04:20 PM
We used Elite on the 4Runner last year. They just ripped of the chrome trim around the window frame, when it was time to put it back on it would not fit imagine that:rolleyes: So the guy called his boss and they would replace the trim, just had to order it.

Six weeks later they got the part after I called them to see if it was in.:mad: Guy comes out and he brings a new windshield, installs it and wants to leave. Hold on there buddy what about my frame?? The guy had no clue.
Had him call his boss and he said they would come out the next day and fix it.

Appointment number three, guy is there and has the trim parts. Starts with the first piece, long bottom section. Next was the A pillar piece that would not stay no matter what the guy did. Finally he had it and told me good bye, HUH:confused:

I asked him what about the other pieces?? Nope just those, back on the phone. The shop told me they never replaced them before so why now? Long and short of it is my insurance withheld payment and Elite just wrote it off.

Now I need a new windshield again so where do I go????

pmccumber
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM

So the other story is I had a guy who does chip repair by the Home Depot in Longmont repair some spots on my SC on Saturday. After 30 minutes I can just tell the guy totally knows what he is doing. He offered to do my windshield and give me a list of choices for the glass. I can get an American made PPG with no tint installed for $170 by this guy.

I'm gonna give Elite until 11am to call me back. Then I'm going with this guy.

@Crash - My new gasket looks like it was given to a 6 month old pit bull for a chew toy. If I think about it enough, I'll get really POed.

SteveH
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
RE: Chinese glass - my '87 Camry got a new windshield from Safelite (while in my brother's care) and the new glass had too much curvature in the middle, so it leaked at the bottom center, and (far worse) the wiper arms actually rubbed on the glass, until I modified the wipers. I would have never believed that anyone's quality control could be so poor, but this surely was. I would have stormed the Safelite shop where he had the work done and demanded a replacement that fit, but it was in another state. So, beware of misshapen replacement glass!

pmccumber
04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
So the windshield is in. Elite came back, two of them this time. Of of the guys, Jaimie out of Longmont, is outstanding. He made the whole process look extremely simple. I think the first guy really had a difficult time with the new gasket, which I understand is difficult for anyone.

But after all this, if you're looking for somebody at Elite, as for Jaimie (that is a Spanish name so use the phonetic "H").

As for the leaks, rattles, and whistles? We shall see soon.

DaveInDenver
04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Try taking it to the shop rather than having them come to you.
If you have the time I've found this repeatably has better results than field replacement. Seems the higher variability of weather ends up with lots of different results. The guy inside the shop isn't getting sand blasted in the wind or rushing to bet a rain storm. OTOH with the Hilux it seems that unless the installer is a real numbnut the installs are mostly drama-free (save for the trim, I've had the same problems as Tom, but they don't leak at least). Probably a combo of more traditional gasket installation and that they probably do 20x more than Cruisers. Heck, we're lucky North America that they even use real windshield glue on the Hilux. In the 3rd world they install the windscreen glass with a cow dung and tree sap mixture.

Uncle Ben
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
If you have the time I've found this repeatably has better results than field replacement. Seems the higher variability of weather ends up with lots of different results. The guy inside the shop isn't getting sand blasted in the wind or rushing to bet a rain storm. OTOH with the Hilux it seems that unless the installer is a real numbnut the installs are mostly drama-free (save for the trim, I've had the same problems as Tom, but they don't leak at least). Probably a combo of more traditional gasket installation and that they probably do 20x more than Cruisers. Heck, we're lucky North America that they even use real windshield glue on the Hilux. In the 3rd world they install the windscreen glass with a cow dung and tree sap mixture.

The bosses and guys with seniority work at the shop.

DaveInDenver
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
The bosses and guys with seniority work at the shop.
That makes sense, too.

Phrog
04-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I've had good experiences with 'Blue Ribbon Auto Glass' (303 466 6874) based in Broomfield. This is a one-man operation - Rusty answers the phone, drives the van, does the work. High quality work, reasonable prices, responsive to phone calls, shows up when he says he will. Highly recommended.

-Phrog

treerootCO
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Went to Elite yesterday for a new windshield in the Duramax. PPG got bought out/sold to PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works. According to the manager Elite no longer offers U.S.A. made glass. Everything in the shop was XYG or PGW.

60wag
04-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm in the market for a new windshield as of two weeks ago. I'm going to wait until after moab.
Are there any brands of glass that are recd for 80s?

treerootCO
04-16-2010, 01:40 PM
i'm In The Market For A New Windshield As Of Two Weeks Ago. I'm Going To Wait Until After Moab.
Are There Any Brands Of Glass That Are Recd For 80s?

Oem ;)

rover67
12-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I've had good experiences with 'Blue Ribbon Auto Glass' (303 466 6874) based in Broomfield. This is a one-man operation - Rusty answers the phone, drives the van, does the work. High quality work, reasonable prices, responsive to phone calls, shows up when he says he will. Highly recommended.

-Phrog

Gonna give Rusty a try today for a new windshield on the Cherokee, appt. set for 10:30 :)

rover67
12-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, Rusty just finished. It looks nice and he was a really nice guy. I think I'll use him for everything. Al's TDI and the 60 need windshields pretty badly too. I dig the fact that he's a one man show and seems to really care about doing things right. He said he'd show up between 10:30 and 11 and he got here at 10:45.