PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Project

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Every year, it seems I have some kind of last-minute wrenching project before Moab. This year, I vowed to fix the rusted rear sill. Ian had given me a section of 2x2 square tube at the packing party a couple years ago, and last year at Moab, Bob Brown, who was following me on a trail, noted that every time I went over a bump, he could see air between the rear of my body and the frame crossmember.

Here's what I had to start with:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:31 PM
First I measured and drilled holes for the body mounts in the square tube:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:33 PM
I had to fit the body mounts through the back of the square tube somehow, so I cut some openings:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Cutting out the old sill. As you'd imagine, the body mount bolts just twisted off, even after soaking with liquid wrench. What the hey, I got new ones! You can see the condition of the old sill - it's history!

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
After that, I posted up on the LCML, asking for advice on how to mount the spare carrier latch. I got a lot of good suggestions; in the end I cut openings through which I could install nuts and washers onto bolts. I was thinking of welding nuts in there, but wanted to make sure I had a little slop in order to position the latch just right. It was late, I was tired and this project was already taking WAY longer than I planned.

Due to parallax of the camera angle, it doesn't look like the cut-outs line up behind the holes. They actually do.

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Here's a couple other angles of the finished square tube:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Next up was to cut the "wings" for the ends. I "cheated" and used my CCoT channel on my 76 as a template. Cutting 4 of them with reasonable precision took quite a while.

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
After I had all 4 cut out, trimmed and ground, I welded them to the ends of the square tube:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Next, I cut some rectangles for the curved outside, and welded them in:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Some poor-light photos of the whole thing:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:50 PM
I decided that I wanted plenty of surface to weld the old floor pan to, so I added a length of 1/2" angle iron:

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:51 PM
The moment of truth! Fitment...yep, it fits!

Rzeppa
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Now for some Zero-Rust inside and out, with weld-through zinc where it's going to be welded:

74fj40
04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
wow! great job

Convert
04-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice work Jeff :thumb:

subzali
04-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Amazing what you can do with some sheet metal and a little ingenuity! Nice work! Want to see the finished product!

Hulk
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Looking good dude! Great fab work. You'll be looking cool in Moab.

IanB
04-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Looks good. Where did you get weld through zinc?

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Looks good. Where did you get weld through zinc?The first can I got at a body shop supply store on Broadway in Denver. Then I discovered that regular "cold galvanizing compound" from any hardware store is actually the same stuff, something like 95-97% zinc. It's half the price and saves a trip into the middle of Denver. I use it on inside surfaces which will be welded and can't be subsequently accessed.

Hey Ian, thanks so much for that square tube you gave me! It's been a long time, but I finally got around to using it.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:34 PM
For the skin, to replace what I cut out of the quarter panel, I cut some strips, then drilled them. The holes are to weld them to the wings in the channel. After I cut and drilled them, I sprayed what will be the inside surface with cold weld-through zinc.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Clamp it up and get ready to weld!

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:37 PM
One side all welded up, with the welds ground down. I did blow through some where the old metal was thin, it's tough to get the right setting for different thicknesses. Nothing a little body filler won't fix. It's still solid. Obviously, if I had more time I would have done the whole QP, but this is just a quickie job to get ready for Moab.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Welding up the other side, clamping it around the corner.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Welds all ground down on this side now, too.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:41 PM
The last welding step was to weld the rear of the bed to the new channel.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Body filler, sand, body filler, sand, repeat.

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Some Krylon "Celery" colored rattle can and it's looking good. It's not nearly Oleg quality, but it's plenty solid!

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 06:46 PM
The last step was mounting the spare carrier. It was kind of a PITA, and the spare latch retainer ended up a couple millimeters too high, but I got it figured out.

farnhamstj
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
looking good jeff

nakman
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Jeff, most impressive!! Nothing like a deadline to bring out the best in inginuity...

Rzeppa
04-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Jeff, most impressive!! Nothing like a deadline to bring out the best in inginuity...Thanks Tim, and all who replied.

I must give credit where credit is due. Our former Commander Rob Merideth inspired me years ago with his "Rob's Shade Tree Body Shop" (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6963/fixn65/) page. He mentored me in so many ways, from wrenching, to wheeling, and how to run our club. I shall remain deeply indebted to him, and strive to share the things he's taught me and pass them along to others.

Hulk
04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I ran into Rob last summer at a Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concert at Hudson Gardens. He said he bought a Harley, and had been riding it all summer. Not doing much wheeling or anything.

Jeff, great write-up of this job. I feel like I could do it, just based on your step-by-step story.

Uncle Ben
04-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Tim, and all who replied.

I must give credit where credit is due. Our former Commander Rob Merideth inspired me years ago with his "Rob's Shade Tree Body Shop" (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6963/fixn65/) page. He mentored me in so many ways, from wrenching, to wheeling, and how to run our club. I shall remain deeply indebted to him, and strive to share the things he's taught me and pass them along to others.

Rob was awesome, I miss that guy a lot. Great driver and great attitude! :thumb:

Rzeppa
04-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Jeff, great write-up of this job. I feel like I could do it, just based on your step-by-step story.Thanks so much, Matt. That's precisely the intent; not to show off but rather to inspire: "Hey, that's not a mystery, I'll bet I could do that now that I see how it's done". Total cost was about $30 worth of steel, $5 worth of body filler, $10 worth of paint, a couple sheets of sandpaper, a couple grinder wheels, a couple cutoff wheels, a sawzall blade and some fasteners. Some wire and gas of course too. And three days of my time :-)

I will admit there were a LOT of little "gotchas" I left out of the narrative. Like how it took me a half hour to get the darn last of four body mount bolts threaded into the mounting plate. How I had to grind the top spare carrier bumper to get the carrier to close because it's mounted a tad too high. Wrestling with sliding the spare carrier pins into the hinges, and then wrestling even more to remove it after I had marked where to mount the lower hinge. I always get an idea of how out-of-control a project has become when I put away my tools, and look at all the stuff that shouldn't have had anything to do with the project, but had to be employed for one little thing or another.

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with it. As I mentioned, it isn't "Oleg quality", as you can see the outline of the wings on the quarter panels, but it's plenty solid and should last for years to come.

wesintl
04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
That is nice jeff, Maybe it'll motivate me to do my 64...

Rzeppa
04-28-2006, 01:26 PM
That is nice jeff, Maybe it'll motivate me to do my 64...Thanks Wes. Let me know if you'd like some help; I learned a few things along the way that I'd probably do a little differently next time.

PabloCruise
04-29-2006, 02:43 PM
You've got skills Jeff - nice!