PDA

View Full Version : 4 Runner Suspension Install

Hudo4
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
It's been a while since I've put in a lift into any rig let alone my 4Runner. It's currently stock but I'm planning on putting in a 2.5" lift. OME881 and 890's. My question is this, will I be able to get it high enough off the floor of my garage to put the new lift on? Will a Hi Lift jack get me off the ground enough to install the coils?

Thanks for the help.

wesintl
04-12-2010, 05:29 PM
depends on how high your jack stands are. Take the wheels off of course.

Hudo4
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Ow, good point. The ones I have wouldn't be sufficient but I think I could get ones that might.

nakman
04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I've got a pair of larger ones you could borrow. You can also take my floor jack too.

I've never lifted IFS though but hey I'll help you with the back! :)

Hudo4
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Gracias Amigo. I'll have to think on it a bit. Do you remember how tall the large stands you have can go up?

nakman
04-12-2010, 05:48 PM
They can make an 80's frame high enough to install a 4" lift? I dunno, they're the 6 ton ones from HF.. so looks like 24" http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=38847&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Hudo4
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
:thumb: I'm thinking that might do it. Let me see if I have all the necessary tools for the job. Thanks Nakman

corsair23
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Remember, you don't have to actually lift the truck that high I don't think, at least not in the back....

You get the tires off, frame on jack stands and then support the axle with the floor jack and lower it a bit to aid in getting the springs in...Just don't over extend the brake lines :)

Take all this with a grain of salt coming from a guy who has only helped install lifts, never done one myself.

AxleIke
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Its up to you, but I would HIGHLY recommend getting the front springs installed onto the struts before taking anything off. It can be done with a regular spring compressor, but its HARD. We broke two doing my dad's lift. Take em to a shop (Slee) that has a wall mounted spring compressor. Takes a couple of minutes for them to do it, but its WORTH it.

Also, the front will be difficult to put in. You will REALLY have to pry the lower arm down to get the new coilovers in place. It really helps to have a second, or even a third, person.

JadeRunner
04-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Its up to you, but I would HIGHLY recommend getting the front springs installed onto the struts before taking anything off. It can be done with a regular spring compressor, but its HARD. We broke two doing my dad's lift. Take em to a shop (Slee) that has a wall mounted spring compressor. Takes a couple of minutes for them to do it, but its WORTH it.

Also, the front will be difficult to put in. You will REALLY have to pry the lower arm down to get the new coilovers in place. It really helps to have a second, or even a third, person.

I agree with Ike on having someone with the proper press to put the coil-overs together. Installing them on the front is easy. Just use your stock bottle jack between the top of the a-arm and fender well. That will push the assembly down enough to slip the coil-over in place. YotaTech.com has extensive write-ups with pictures on all this.

Ron Helmuth
04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes the rear springs are a piece of cake but if you are doing the shocks also read up and be sure you are prepared for those.

I second Axle Ike's posting on having the fronts pre-built so to speak. A wall mounted compression device is the cats meow for that setup...

I am running 881s and 890s myself and that is a good all around choice for lift without going massive on the rake and still able to fit in a standard garage. I also have some large wood blocks that assist with the reach necessary for jack support.

The Hi-Lift fits nicely in the receiver hitch out back but get it supported quickly-I can't recommend leaving the vehicle so precariously balanced for any real length of time.