PDA

View Full Version : Montrose-Western Slope Run anyone?

Air Randy
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
In the High Trails magazine the Western Slope 4 Wheelers are inviting everyone to a weekend fun run June 26th & 27th based in Montrose.

It says "We are offering up two days of trails from easy sightseeing to extreme rockcrawling for you to run. We will have experienced guides leading and gunning the trails who not only know the in's and out's of the trails but also the history of the area".

It's free and sounds like fun, Montrose that time of year is great. I'm thinking about doing it. I would leave Friday afternoon and arrive Friday night. We will stay in a campground in the area. Then run trails Saturday, short trail Sunday morning then back home Sunday night. They're asking anyone who wants to attend to RSVP by May 15th and tell them if you want easy, internediate or hard trails.

Uncle Ben
04-13-2010, 05:58 PM
hmmmmmmm....

RockRunner
04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds interesting? I'll check with the calendar :Princess: and see what is happening.

How long of a drive is Montrose? Didn't we drive through it Randy? 3-4 hours?:confused:

RedCreeper
04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
mmmmm. would be fun to bring down the new toy to play with. mmmmmmm

corsair23
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
How long of a drive is Montrose? Didn't we drive through it Randy? 3-4 hours?:confused:

More like 5-6 hours, give or take depending on what you are driving, towing, stops, etc. via 285 and Hwy 50. If towing it is probably a little faster to take I70 to Grand Junction and then south on Hwy 50

There is a nice State campground just north of Ridgway CO (Dutch Charlie campground at Ridgway State Park). Stay up on the mesa part and you'll even have some shade. Might be something closer to Montrose but we've always stayed here on our annual family camping/boating trip to the Ouray area. About 1/2 hour drive to Montrose from the camp ground and about a 20 min drive into Ouray.

SRT08BUS
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I've always wanted to do a run around that way, put my down for a 4sures and I'll worry about getting the time off in a week or two.

Old40Dog
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Don't think there's much on our calendar for that part of June, so we're a definite "maybe". :lmao: Love that country in the summer. Will know for sure after CM 2010.

IMO, We should pick a camping area to shoot for as a group (RS) if possible.

Air Randy
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
I really like the idea of everyone staying together as a group in a campground, sort of a mini-Moab type event.

Tom, yes we went through Montrose when we took the southern route to Moab. It would be about 5.5 - 6 hours for us via I-70. It takes us 4.5 hours to GJ towing and it's another hour south to Montrose.

For anyone who wants to go, please RSVP directly to Perry Reed at:
desertrat27@hotmail.com.

I'm going to go ahead and commit now to signing up too!

bh4rnnr
04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Some great wheeling can be had in Montrose:thumb:

Air Randy
04-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Oooh, it even looks like Moab. I'm in, sent my RSVP.

AxleIke
04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Hmmmm....That looks fun.

J Kimmel
04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Montrose is one of my most favorite places to wheel. I like going at off times (like Moab) with just a few friends. The trails are relentless and just a lot of fun fun fun :)

Air Randy
05-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Here is the latest update I got from Perry Reed:

Randy,
Here's the plan:
I've only heard from your group and three others. Plus, with all the snow in the high country, not many roads will be open. So what we've decided to do is this.
We are planning on a trip over the Alpine Loop ( Ouray, Lake City, Silverton) on Saturday.
Sunday we will run Corkscrew Pass and Hurricane,(snow melt permitting).
Saturday night is a full moon.Along with some members of the Creeper Jeepers in Durango, We are going to do a moonlight run up Engineer Pass that night with the possibility of a campout. Again snow melt permitting. If there is too much snow, we can move to a lower elevation or if some so choose, they can stay in Ouray and return after the moonlight run.
If you have any in your group that want to run the hardcore trails west of Montrose, the Western Slope guys will have someone available to guide you there.
Let me know what you would like to do.
Thanks,
Perry

So, it sounds like we could turn this in to a big Rising Sun event with something for everyone: lots of scenic wheeling, camping, a night run, and the chance for harder trails for those that desire it.

Who is still seriosuly interested? We should start trying to lock down the plan pretty quick if were seriosuly considering participating.

Old40Dog
05-20-2010, 12:54 PM
So, it sounds like we could turn this in to a big Rising Sun event with something for everyone: lots of scenic wheeling, camping, a night run, and the chance for harder trails for those that desire it.

Who is still seriosuly interested? We should start trying to lock down the plan pretty quick if were seriosuly considering participating.

I've got it on the calender, Randy. Just forgot to RSVP! I'm open to pretty much any of the runs Perry mentioned.

What's the email or website to RSVP?

Air Randy
05-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Contact name is Perry Reed at desertrat27@hotmail.com

Old40Dog
05-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Contact name is Perry Reed at desertrat27@hotmail.com

DAAAAA..:confused:now I see it on the previous page..........gotta get some sleep soon!

RLMS
05-23-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm in, if I can get time to fix the W.P.

Justin

spcruiser
05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll meet you guys over there, I would really like to run the montrose trails.
Or at least attempt to survive the montrose trails. :eek:
Post up were you will camping and I will see who else I can drag over from this side of the montains. I will rsvp.

Air Randy
05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Here is the latest email response from Perry:

Randy,
I've heard from a couple of other people. Had a few cancel out but I'm sure there will be last minute folks come in. All are welcome since there isn't any registration. They basically just need to let me know where they want to go. I've spoken with Jim Skellett, the President of the Western Slope 4-Wheelers. They will lead the trails west of town, while we will be leading the San Juan trails and Bangs Canyon.
The trails in the mountains, Engineer, Cinnamon and Corkscrew, are easy to moderate. The trail west of Montrose, Die Trying, Calamity, & Cactus Ridge, are all hardcore. One trail, Scratch & Dent is tough but doable in a built rig. 35"s and two lockers. Bangs Canyon in Grand Jct is more Moab like but still a moderate trail. Our trip for the weekend is mostly scenic stuff. Mainly the moonlight run up Engineer. It will be an interesting trip in the dark but with a full moon, We'll be able to see pretty well.
You can stay at any of the campgrounds in Montrose. I would recommend the Cedar Creek campground. 970-249-3884. It's just across the street from our meeting place and close to restaurants and my house!
Give me a call if you have any questions I can't answer by e-mail.
970-249-5731
See you next month.
Thanks,
Perry

Old40Dog
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Checked availability online at Cedar Creek and they're only showing 3 sites available for the 25-27th.

Are we still planning to stay at one place as group? Any other ideas or suggestions?

RedCreeper
05-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Randy I sent Perry a email as tentative. Depends of a few hurdles. But really am trying to make this one.

SRT08BUS
05-24-2010, 03:24 PM
I have to back out on this one if I wanna stay in a relationship, I'm told:rolleyes:

Old40Dog
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
:risingsun Bump!

From what I can tell from the posts, it looks like, Randy, Kenny, Justin, Dave & Steve(Durango).

Anybody else in?

Corbet
06-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Off topic but will someone have room for a set of tires along with their trailer queen. Art is holding a set of 35's that need a ride out this way :)

OK back to your regularly scheduled discussion

Air Randy
06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure we'll be making this one either.