PDA

View Full Version : 3FE removal thread

theRash
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I thought I'd start a thread on the removal. Since I'm not sure how long the take and the engine swap will take. I thought I'd just do a thread on just the removal.

paid a guy 800.00 bucks (includes gas) for a running FJ62 in TX to tow it up to Castle Rock ( I thought it was a good price right?). It got here in the afternoon on 4/10.

Over the last two days I was just draining fuid and removing relevant pieces that needed to go.

I'm a slow mover and may not be doing it as good as any other guys but I'm doing the best I can. Plus I want to keep it organized as much as possible.

My goal is to swap it in directly. It can use a rebuild but I want ti driveable for a bit first. It will need a new rear main seal and and a few obvious things but no rebuild right now. My other goal is to get it removed before my vaca in May. My installation of the 3FE will come in late May time frame.

Let me know what you guys think. Plus a little question. Is there a way I can hoist the engine out without removing the intake manifold?

Here's some pics of the progress so far.

Crash
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
You want to know what I think?
Oh my. Looks like a project.
Good luck.

TIMZTOY
04-14-2010, 11:19 PM
not sure off hand what size the intake manifold and exhaust manifold bolts are, but you can lift it with a chain from the manifold bolts, just use a longet bolt of the same thread pitch.. and thread it in all the way.. im sure a few ppl will say no dont do that.. but its an option.. and one ive used several times of all sorts of diffrent motors.. brands and all..

theRash
04-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Timstoy, I'm looking into that and also just taking the intake off and not risk it.

so I took off the valve cover to discover this black oily sludge stuff. I can't tell if its dirt plus oil or just bad old oil. Its caked all over the rocker panel area and under the valve cover. I also noticed black oily junk at the throttle body. Did the PO not replace the oil ever or is there someting more I should look into? It doesn't appear burned like at all and when I drained the oil it was thick and black. My first thought is that its dirty.

Air Randy
04-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Thats what it looks like to me, just really dirty oil that was consistently not changed when it should have been. You are rebuilding this thing before dropping it in the new rig, right?

theRash
04-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Thats what it looks like to me, just really dirty oil that was consistently not changed when it should have been. You are rebuilding this thing before dropping it in the new rig, right?

At first I just wanted to throw it in and use it for a bit and rebuild later. But I'm starting to reconsider that idea. I got the time but it really all depends upon my funds. Since I'm going to spend the time doing the work I better do it right and not have to pull the engine out again later.

PabloCruise
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
I thought I'd start a thread on the removal. Since I'm not sure how long the take and the engine swap will take. I thought I'd just do a thread on just the removal.

paid a guy 800.00 bucks (includes gas) for a running FJ62 in TX to tow it up to Castle Rock ( I thought it was a good price right?). It got here in the afternoon on 4/10.

Over the last two days I was just draining fuid and removing relevant pieces that needed to go.

I'm a slow mover and may not be doing it as good as any other guys but I'm doing the best I can. Plus I want to keep it organized as much as possible.

My goal is to swap it in directly. It can use a rebuild but I want ti driveable for a bit first. It will need a new rear main seal and and a few obvious things but no rebuild right now. My other goal is to get it removed before my vaca in May. My installation of the 3FE will come in late May time frame.

Let me know what you guys think. Plus a little question. Is there a way I can hoist the engine out without removing the intake manifold?

Here's some pics of the progress so far.

Scott, I look forward to following this.

Request: could you get me a photo detailing the tensioners for the AC and PS? I am trying to visualize if I can fit the 3FE AC compressor on the 3FE in my Pig. Details of those tensioners and the AC mount would be great if you can manage.

PabloCruise
04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Timstoy, I'm looking into that and also just taking the intake off and not risk it.

so I took off the valve cover to discover this black oily sludge stuff. I can't tell if its dirt plus oil or just bad old oil. Its caked all over the rocker panel area and under the valve cover. I also noticed black oily junk at the throttle body. Did the PO not replace the oil ever or is there someting more I should look into? It doesn't appear burned like at all and when I drained the oil it was thick and black. My first thought is that its dirty.

My understanding is that this is the curse of the 3FE and how the PCV system breathes off the top of the valve cover.

Take a look in the intake manifold (beyond the throttle body) where the PCV and EGR come in. My guess is that it will look fairly nasty.

Air Randy
04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Since it's out of the truck you can always do a shade tree rebuild on it if funds don't allow a full rebuild. Shade tree = disassemble the whole thing, hone the cylinders really well, reassemble using new piston rings, rod/crank bearings, gaskets/seals, etc. As long as the pistons/cylinders arent badly scored you'll be OK for a long time. Of course, it's always better to get the cylinders bored, new pistons, etc as part of a quality rebuild. Either way get the head rebuilt as a valve/valve guide/head gasket would be your most likely issue soon if you just drop the motor in. Also, if you can, use new timing gears and probably a new oil pump. It's surprisingly inexpensive if you're doing the labor yourself. Even if you do the most basic rebuild without too many new parts, getting the head done, new bearings and new gaskets & seals will keep it leak free and probably running well for a long time.

theRash
04-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Since it's out of the truck you can always do a shade tree rebuild on it if funds don't allow a full rebuild. Shade tree = disassemble the whole thing, hone the cylinders really well, reassemble using new piston rings, rod/crank bearings, gaskets/seals, etc. As long as the pistons/cylinders arent badly scored you'll be OK for a long time. Of course, it's always better to get the cylinders bored, new pistons, etc as part of a quality rebuild. Either way get the head rebuilt as a valve/valve guide/head gasket would be your most likely issue soon if you just drop the motor in. Also, if you can, use new timing gears and probably a new oil pump. It's surprisingly inexpensive if you're doing the labor yourself. Even if you do the most basic rebuild without too many new parts, getting the head done, new bearings and new gaskets & seals will keep it leak free and probably running well for a long time.

lol. A shade tree rebuild is what I'll end up doing. thanks a bunch.

[QUOTE=pablocruise; Request: could you get me a photo detailing the tensioners for the AC and PS? I am trying to visualize if I can fit the 3FE AC compressor on the 3FE in my Pig. Details of those tensioners and the AC mount would be great if you can manage.[/QUOTE]

Pm me with your email addy. I've got tons of pics. engine is out and on the floor. I have a few more pieces of the wiring harness to remove and a few misc items and its good to go.

theRash
04-20-2010, 12:28 AM
This pic illustrates why it got towed and not driven up to CO.
Its the panel that looks inside the transfer case. Not sure what he did to get teh gears sheared like this.

PabloCruise
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow on the t-case.

PM sent.