PDA

View Full Version : 97 Runner keyless question

FJ_Mark
04-14-2010, 07:10 PM
My neighbor bought a 97 runner at auction. So he doesn't know if it ever had keyless entry or not. Is there an easy way to tell if it was equipped? If so would he only need to get remotes and program them? If not does anyone know what is needed and the rough cost?

Thanks

4runner luv
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I believe Toyota installed very basic Pursuit alarms/keyless entry systems made by Audiovox in 96 and 97... maybe 98 too, before going to a fancier system. My 96 has it, and I didn't know it when I bought it. I thought it was aftermarket when I discovered it, but upon further investigation, it seems that it was installed from the factory. I bought a remote on eBay, programmed it, and voila, it worked.

Look behind the panel under the steering wheel. There should be 2 modules (black boxes). One is the vibration sensor (which doesn't seem to work on mine), and the other is the ECM for the alarm. It will have 2 exposed fuses and a bunch of wires. Also, there would be a loudspeaker next to the brake fluid reservoir under the hood. It doesn't look factory installed, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Oh, and a valet switch on the kick panel thing on the driver's side (tucked up near the dash).

Then again, I could be completely full of s$%t. Well I know I am already, but specifically on this.

Let us know if you find anything.

-Shayn

p.s. you can get the exact same complete systems with remotes for about $70 on eBay. I paid $20 just for my remote.

JadeRunner
04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I think they all had the keyless entry. Just not the alarm portion. Shayn is right, about 20 bucks or so on e-bay for a remote. Program it and he's good to go.

TIMZTOY
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I believe Toyota installed very basic Pursuit alarms/keyless entry systems made by Audiovox in 96 and 97... maybe 98 too, before going to a fancier system. My 96 has it, and I didn't know it when I bought it. I thought it was aftermarket when I discovered it, but upon further investigation, it seems that it was installed from the factory. I bought a remote on eBay, programmed it, and voila, it worked.

Look behind the panel under the steering wheel. There should be 2 modules (black boxes). One is the vibration sensor (which doesn't seem to work on mine), and the other is the ECM for the alarm. It will have 2 exposed fuses and a bunch of wires. Also, there would be a loudspeaker next to the brake fluid reservoir under the hood. It doesn't look factory installed, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Oh, and a valet switch on the kick panel thing on the driver's side (tucked up near the dash).

thats a 100% aftermarket unit install.. it my or maynot be a toyota unit.. but how its installed is defentlly aftermarket.. if im not mistaken the oem keyless units are part of the bcm and prewired into the car making it compleatlly invisible and use the car's horns.. and a PITA to install the oem units.. i also belive all 4runners came with keyless and an alarm was a option.. your best and easyiest think to do is to run your vin number and see if it was installe from the dealer.. that way all you have to do is buy a fob and program..

4runner luv
04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I should have been more specific I guess. It was a dealer installed option that a lot of dealers offered on more than just 4runners for that time period.

FJ_Mark
04-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will take a look to see if it looks like it had the alarm system installed. It has the security light/blank in the console. I'm not sure if they all did or only those with the alarm system.

SteveH
04-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I have a '98 with the (dreadful) VIP 3000 factory alarm. Blinking light on the console by the rear window switch. The alarm 'computer' is under the driver's seat - look for a 4" x6" or so box with a connector plugged into it. If you only want the power lock function, put the alarm in 'valet mode' and that turns off most of the features, except the panic alarm.

I have the owner's manual, but I'm sure the info is available online.