PDA

View Full Version : New Ham-ditilly-acious

DaveInDenver
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM
KDLDX Thomas F Rompies
KDLDQ Perry Loughridge

Congrats fellas!

I think both KDLDX and KDLDQ are rather smooth calls for auto assigned.

jacdaw
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Nice work dudes!

rover67
04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
SWEET!!!! Congrats Guys!!!!

I like the call signs!!

bh4rnnr
04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Those do sound good:cool:

Gonna have to try out the 2800 tomorrow:D

RockRunner
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys :D I was trying to figure out why they don't show the like this instead of 0? I guess it is just like computers where they don't use a o in the name or serial numbers.

I am thinking of getting a vanity call sign just because, KR0MPS. Was my nickname in school so that would be cool and easy. What ya'll think?:cool:

Inukshuk
04-16-2010, 12:21 AM

What time?

DaveInDenver
04-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Mine's on everyday driving into and home from work.

Groucho
04-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Call Sign Weight
KD0LDX 80
KD0LDQ 82

Not the "skinniest" on the block, but I doubt either will be contesting using CW in the near future.

Click here for your callsign weight (http://www.radioqth.net/cwweight.aspx)

Congrats fellas. Welcome to the club.

FJBRADY
04-16-2010, 08:21 AM
:eek: I am an 86. I usually say mine like I am operating a radio station....just like Adrienne Barbeau in the FOG. Soft and sultry.

jacdaw
04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Of the three call signs I've had my current is the pig at 74. I've also had a 70 and a 60.
And sadly I always sound like a commercial station when signing vox.

Jacket
04-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Call Sign Weight
KD0LDX 80
KD0LDQ 82

Not the "skinniest" on the block, but I doubt either will be contesting using CW in the near future.

Click here for your callsign weight (http://www.radioqth.net/cwweight.aspx)

Congrats fellas. Welcome to the club.

I'm pretty sure I still win the "fat guy" award. 88 baby!

- KD0FQQ

bh4rnnr
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
What time?

I'll be on after work, say 4:15. Should be on for some time.

DaveInDenver
04-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Of the three call signs I've had my current is the pig at 74. I've also had a 70 and a 60.
And sadly I always sound like a commercial station when signing vox.
I assumed that was intentional. I was listening to an IRLP QSO this morning between N0PQV (big time IRLP Elmer local here in Denver, Terry) and a fella in Nevada on the Western Reflector. His call was K0KOA, which when I heard it I thought of you and your K0BCO.

Hulk
04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
I am thinking of getting a vanity call sign just because, KR0MPS. Was my nickname in school so that would be cool and easy. What ya'll think?:cool:

Sounds good. :thumb:

Congrats, Tom and Perry!

nakman
04-16-2010, 09:33 AM
great job, guys, looking forward to your future legit transmissions!

hmm... now how to remember...

Tom: KD0LDX Low range Drive-By.. Lotsa Dom eXo... Likes Daughterofrandy's Xj?

Perry KD0LDQ Loves Desert Quiche... the Last Dude Quiet... loves Dairy Queen?

jacdaw
04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I assumed that was intentional. I was listening to an IRLP QSO this morning between N0PQV (big time IRLP Elmer local here in Denver, Terry) and a fella in Nevada on the Western Reflector. His call was K0KOA, which when I heard it I thought of you and your K0BCO.It was an intentional vanity call, but I was not aware of KBCO when I requested it. I had just moved here and wanted to ditch my 6 call and identify with my new home. I could not figure out why so many people asked me about my license plate until one day I was riding with my GF and she had the station on. Doh! I'm a Sirius subscriber. So I listened for a few days. It's a ClearChannel station and they completely ripped off KFOG in S.F. for slogans and programming. And they play John Mayer. I hate KBCO. One of these days I'm gonna pop for a new call sign. Maybe n0bco.:D Bummer, it's taken. I'd love the Alex Chilton tribute call: n0sex but again, taken...

RicardoJM
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Congrats guys!!!

nakman
04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
That's funny, John, I always figured you must really like KBCO..

DaveInDenver
04-16-2010, 07:57 PM
I'll be on after work, say 4:15. Should be on for some time.
Tried you several times this afternoon from about 1700HNR to 1800HNR on 146.460 simplex with 50 watts. I believe I heard you through the scratchiness but I'm guessing you could not make me out. What are you running power wise and antenna wise? I was hitting the repeaters up on Mt Thorodin alright with low power and so I'm pretty sure my end was working.

nakman
04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I had a good QSO with Perry around 17:00, I think we were both headed towards Boulder. Dave I heard you around 5:30 calling.. I tried to call you back after my errand was complete but you must have been back in the house. I also heard Tom trying to call Perry a couple of times but I was too tied up to jump in.. plus I was up in Boulder and it was pretty scratchy. nice to hear you guys out there though, in any case.

bh4rnnr
04-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Tried you several times this afternoon from about 1700HNR to 1800HNR on 146.460 simplex with 50 watts. I believe I heard you through the scratchiness but I'm guessing you could not make me out. What are you running power wise and antenna wise? I was hitting the repeaters up on Mt Thorodin alright with low power and so I'm pretty sure my end was working.

Sorry Dave, realized with the new Cat/Muffler setup, kinda hard to here the radio on the Highway. Plus I couldnt remember everyones callsigns:rolleyes: Also realised I was transmitting on Low power. Still need some time behind the wheel, so to speak.

I had a good QSO with Perry around 17:00, I think we were both headed towards Boulder. Dave I heard you around 5:30 calling.. I tried to call you back after my errand was complete but you must have been back in the house. I also heard Tom trying to call Perry a couple of times but I was too tied up to jump in.. plus I was up in Boulder and it was pretty scratchy. nice to hear you guys out there though, in any case.

Yeah Tim, good to catch you:cool:, thought I reconized your call sign so i'm gald I sent it out there. I as well heard Tom, but it was breaking up. Tim, I was thinking about this after our CQ, but couldn't remember the "proper" ending. What's the best way to end?

Feels good to finaly be a Ham guy:beer:

nakman
04-17-2010, 11:11 PM
What's the best way to end?

Feels good to finally be a Ham guy:beer:

Several ways to "end." call sign-wise, as long as you identified yourself once in the last 10 minutes your fine, so actually no need to even say you're clear. You could actually just say "alright see ya" if you were in a conversation (QSO), and if no one was talking to you then just don't talk again. However better etiquette usually prevails, so I'll give you a few of my favorite options.

Option 1: Conversation is winding down, you're done talking, but figure the other guy would have one last word after you. So I say my goodbyes, my see ya laters, then say "K0NAK, and I'll be clear on your final." that identifies my station one last time, and also implies that you'd talk one more time, after which you wouldn't hear me again and I'm turning my radio off (or changing the channel) after your last transmission.

Option 2: I suddenly gotta go (or I'm just over this conversation) so I say "hey man good talking to you, I'm gonna clear out... K0NAK clear." that pretty much implies that I just shut my radio off.

Option 3: Probably the most polite, and this one is to say the other guy's call sign as well. So "hey man good talking to you, KD0LDQ, K0NAK clear an monitoring." that one implies that our conversation (QSO) is over, but I'm keeping the radio on and not changing the channel.

Option 4 is just quit talking..

don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be... monitor the local repeaters and listen to some of the other locals (non-RS), like jump on 145.460 in the mornings between around 7:15 and 8:00 to hear that morning crew run through their usual routine.. very eloquent, very polite, by the book, yet very casual. And continue to listen on runs, and I'm sure you pick up your own style.

bh4rnnr
04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Several ways to "end." call sign-wise, as long as you identified yourself once in the last 10 minutes your fine, so actually no need to even say you're clear. You could actually just say "alright see ya" if you were in a conversation (QSO), and if no one was talking to you then just don't talk again. However better etiquette usually prevails, so I'll give you a few of my favorite options.

Option 1: Conversation is winding down, you're done talking, but figure the other guy would have one last word after you. So I say my goodbyes, my see ya laters, then say "K0NAK, and I'll be clear on your final." that identifies my station one last time, and also implies that you'd talk one more time, after which you wouldn't hear me again and I'm turning my radio off (or changing the channel) after your last transmission.

Option 2: I suddenly gotta go (or I'm just over this conversation) so I say "hey man good talking to you, I'm gonna clear out... K0NAK clear." that pretty much implies that I just shut my radio off.

Option 3: Probably the most polite, and this one is to say the other guy's call sign as well. So "hey man good talking to you, KD0LDQ, K0NAK clear an monitoring." that one implies that our conversation (QSO) is over, but I'm keeping the radio on and not changing the channel.

Option 4 is just quit talking..

don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be... monitor the local repeaters and listen to some of the other locals (non-RS), like jump on 145.460 in the mornings between around 7:15 and 8:00 to hear that morning crew run through their usual routine.. very eloquent, very polite, by the book, yet very casual. And continue to listen on runs, and I'm sure you pick up your own style.

You guys had a QSO (pronounced cue-so), this is the Q-code for a conversation or contact. CQ (see-cue, which is just a phonetic for 'seek you' more or less) is what you use to call when looking for a contact.

The way you would end a QSO is to just sign off, saying something to the effect of...

"Good chatting with you Tim, gotta run for that hot date with the boss' daughter. So 73s K0NAK, this is KD0LDQ signing off and will be clear on your final."

"OK Perry, nice hearing you on the radio, let us know how that date with Hildagard the 800 lbs woman goes. K0NAK clear and monitoring."

"KC0PEG"

"Go ahead Dave."

"Hi Tim, yeah poor Perry, eh?"

etc, etc, etc.

BTW, Nakman's option 4 is called "Getting Frank'd". It's a long and dorky explanation why and we really don't want to turn newbies off at this point.

The most important thing is that you give your call sign on your last transmission. You also have to give it at the beginning and every 10 minutes.

Alright, think that clears things up:eek:.

As far as Hildagard, couldnt tell ya. My boss is my Dad and I dont remember having a big sis.....

Inukshuk
04-18-2010, 10:01 AM
don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be...

x2. Remember how it all worked just fine in Wyoming, when you were only listening. ;) Since I can never remember call signs I always add my name and ask for the other person's name.

What's the best way to end?

Happy! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

RockRunner
04-18-2010, 10:46 AM
x2. Remember how it all worked just fine in Wyoming, when you were only listening. ;) Since I can never remember call signs I always add my name and ask for the other person's name.

Happy! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Now that is my kind of ending:bowdown::lmao:

Groucho
04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Tim and Dave offer awesome info on ending the QSO (thanks Dave for explaining the que-soh sound!:thumb:).

I will add, as the HAM radio guru must, that at the end of the LAST transmission the only thing that must be included in the LAST transmission (at any time during the LAST transmission) is the transmitting stations callsign. It doesn't matter about anything else, goodbyes, 73's and 88's, whatever.

When you are not going to transmit on the frequency again as part of the current QSO you must, as part of FCC's part 97 rules which govern the Amateur Radio services, identify the station by voice or CW (or packet, etc) the stations callsign.

Contrary to Daniel's desire :lmao: to identify whomever he is speaking to :puppykisses: as well as himself (thanks for falling asleep in my class!) only your own call need be said by you.

Its easy enough to remember--Give YOUR callsign every ten minutes and during the last transmission (by you).

No amateur operator need give anyone elses callsign as part of their transmission. You are responsible for the correct operation of your own station, not anyone elses. I know it seems hard to grasp, but you may start a transmission by asking if whomever you wish to speak to is out there by their name. Example:

(Once it is determined that the frequency is not in use, or an appropriate time to break in is figured out)
Nathaniel-- Hey perry, this is Nathaniel, you there?

Perry--Yeah this is perry, go ahead nathaniel.

Nathaniel--You got the spare port-a-potty?

Perry--yes I do.

Nathaniel--Thanks. well see you in a few. WIIN

Perry--yeah, I figure about ten minutes. KDLDQ

Done. Perfectly acceptable. And in case i didn't hear anything from Perry, i would have just said

WIIN, clear.

Now, most of us identify more than that, which is more courteous seeing as though we aren't the only people using the frequency. But this is the bare minimum. I suggest somewhere in between. I'll politely tell anyone who I hear doing something that might get someones feathers ruffled.

Helpful?

Groucho
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
As you all know because you so diligently read your license manual from cover to cover, the only music that may be a part of an amateur radio stations transmission is during what?

When it is part of the background noise during a space shuttle transmission.

At no other time is an Amateur radio station allowed to transmit (or retransmit) music. So keep that in mind and turn the stereo down a bit when you're on the air.

:offtobed:

DaveInDenver
04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
When it is part of the background noise during a space shuttle transmission.
There is one other exception to that rule and that is NOAA (and only NOAA) weather radio may be re-transmitted by an amateur station. Otherwise turn the background sounds down fellas!

RockRunner
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
There goes my pirate radio idea :( Now I have to figure another way to get the Dixie chicks soe airtime:rolleyes:

jacdaw
04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
There goes my pirate radio idea :( Now I have to figure another way to get the Dixie chicks soe airtime:rolleyes:ANd now, even if you do it on your CB you could lose your ham gear and your license. You're now held to a higher standard, Grasshopper.

RockRunner
04-19-2010, 10:20 PM
ANd now, even if you do it on your CB you could lose your ham gear and your license. You're now held to a higher standard, Grasshopper.

Great, I knew I should have stayed with smoke signals and a drum:rolleyes:

Groucho
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Great, I knew I should have stayed with smoke signals and a drum:rolleyes:

I know its almost time for Markofsky to head out on the Kokopelli trail and warn the spirits that we are arriving in the land of Moab, but don't start him on the flute until he is across state lines. Then it is an awesome addition to the landscape.

jacdaw
04-20-2010, 03:21 AM
I know its almost time for Markofsky to head out on the Kokopelli trail and warn the spirits that we are arriving in the land of Moab, but don't start him on the flute until he is across state lines. Then it is an awesome addition to the landscape.I brought several nice Lakota flutes into CO when I moved here. Are you saying I should not play them at home? They were made in AZ but the guy moved his shop to Paonia recently.

Groucho
04-20-2010, 06:55 AM
I brought several nice Lakota flutes into CO when I moved here. Are you saying I should not play them at home? They were made in AZ but the guy moved his shop to Paonia recently.

Then they're OK. I just bought my first hop plant rhizomes from a guy outta Paonia. My folks lived there for a while before I was born (in the middle ages:lmao:).

Naw, just bustin Markofsky's chops. I think his flute playing at the trail we went on with him last year was great. He's very spiritual...

Inukshuk
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Perry--Yeah this is perry, go ahead nathaniel.
Nathaniel--You got the spare port-a-potty?
Perry--yes I do.
Nathaniel--Thanks. well see you in a few. WIIN
Perry--yeah, I figure about ten minutes. KDLDQ

It is true! You can actually hear and understand KDLDQ :perry: on HAM! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

As you all know because you so diligently read your license manual from cover to cover

There is a manual? :p:

I brought several nice Lakota flutes into CO when I moved here.

Bring them and the drums! :drumsticks::campfire::drumsticks:

Naw, just bustin Markofsky's chops. I think his flute playing at the trail we went on with him last year was great. He's very spiritual...

Namaste boom shaka laka!
Inukshuk Clear

Groucho
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Namaste to you!

jacdaw
04-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I can't play Cumbayah on my flutes, but I can play it on the old git-fiddle.