PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a pin

pmccumber
04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
So I'm doing the Pin 7 Mod. Is there a trick to pulling that pin out? I looked at that video a guy put up and he used a needle nose and just pulled it out. That doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.

Hants
04-18-2010, 06:12 PM
There's a plastic piece across the back that you kind of pop out, then the pin can be removed.

When I did it years ago, it was the first time I'd messed with the Toyota plugs -- end up breaking the wire before I figured out how it worked. Now the wire is taped to the harness (disconnected) -- effective, even if not exactly what I intended! :eek:

pmccumber
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
There's a plastic piece across the back that you kind of pop out, then the pin can be removed.

When I did it years ago, it was the first time I'd messed with the Toyota plugs -- end up breaking the wire before I figured out how it worked. Now the wire is taped to the harness (disconnected) -- effective, even if not exactly what I intended! :eek:

In all the FAQs, nobody mentioned that. Even the little video, never saw the guy pop that piece out. I saw that piece, and wondered if that is what it was for. Damn. It is probably a given for people who do that kind of thing but I didn't get it.

I went back out to look at it again, came back in and my wife was on the computer. I got impatient and went out and pulled ... it right off. Thanks for the response but I taped it up just like you did and it works just fine.

If it ever needs to be reattached, I'll hafta attach another pin and remove the other one. But that isn't gonna happen.

Thanks again.

Hulk
04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
I've never done the Pin7 mod. I need to get me some edumacation on why I should be doing this, I guess.

nakman
04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I've never done the Pin7 mod. I need to get me some edumacation on why I should be doing this, I guess.

Did it years ago at Huxley's house... great mod. Best benefit is open center diff while in low range- handy for high traction areas involving tight turns, like Fins & Things, Hells Revenge, also the driveway and boat ramp if you ever wrestle trailers. Much easier on your driveline to avoid the binding and forced tire slip- I notice it even more now that I've got another truck that can't do this, and I really wish it would.

corsair23
04-19-2010, 02:59 AM

Slacker!! Get 'er done already...

Guess I should get around to doing mine as well :hill: - I could bring my pick set and we could have a late afternoon pin 7 pulling party in BFE :D

For Paul...You'll learn on these Toyota connectors (at least on the 80)...There is usually a plastic piece that holds the pins in but in ADDITION to that plastic piece, typically the connectors themselves have a barb that juts out that also locks the connector/pin in. Think of a fish hook barb. That is where a small pick comes in handy.

I could act all smart like I've know this for years but the reality is I learned this from Slee - One of the first mods I looked up even if I still haven't done it :rolleyes:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_cdl_pin7mod.htm

Hants
04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
...Best benefit is open center diff while in low range- handy for high traction areas involving tight turns, like Fins & Things, Hells Revenge, also the driveway and boat ramp if you ever wrestle trailers.

Also "fixes" the shift-points when in Low, IIRC.

pmccumber
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Slee's HOWTO is PERFECT! Damn. I bought my switch for the other half of the mod from them and it had instructions with it but they were only for the switch in the dash part. I should have looked on their website but I just thought all their useful info on this topic came with the switch. I guess technically it is a different part of the mod but this would have really been handy.

If I had to now I could do the switch in the dash in 5 minutes and Pin 7 in 15. Nice mod when all said and done.

I'm going to Mud and sticking the link to Slee's HOWTO in the FAQ.

LARGEONE
04-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I just modified an extra hazard switch, so Hulk or others if you guys want to have a pin 7 mod party at my house, I'd be interested!!! Now that PM is the expert, we could have him and Nak come over to supervise and hand out beers!!! I've never even had my dash apart, so it would be helpful to have someone show me how to do that without breaking the dash!!!

I guess this will have to wait until after CM?

P

nakman
04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Well Paul you're in luck because you don't have to open the dash to do pin7, it's in the kick panel by your left foot. :) You do, however, need to remove the stereo/heater bezel and yes I'm pro at that, mine's been off more times than I can count. After CM for sure..

Hulk
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I do have the CDL switch. I just haven't done the Pin7 mod. I'll bring my picks too, and maybe we can fool around with this a CM, Jeff.

LARGEONE
04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Nakman...I was referring to the bezel, but even that has never been taken off by me!!! I would love to make sure that I don't do something stupid to crack the bezel on my virgin voyage! I'm sure there are great directions on Mud, but how much fun is that?

corsair23
04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks, Nakman...I was referring to the bezel, but even that has never been taken off by me!!! I would love to make sure that I don't do something stupid to crack the bezel on my virgin voyage! I'm sure there are great directions on Mud, but how much fun is that?

If I didn't crack mine on either rig or Hulk's when we did his CDL, you won't crack yours :) - Literally just 8 screws...

Remove the tcase knob, shift the rig into neutral, remove the 4 screws on the shift console cover (2 on each side), lift it up a bit and disconnect the PWR/2ND buttons connector, lift off the console, pull out the ashtray, remove the 2 screws hiding behind it, remove the "pocket" (flat head screwdriver to gently pry down the locking tabs) and the 2 screws hiding behind it or alternately remove you OEM cupholder if you installed that.

Then gently pull on the console on the top center, bottom center, and then left side. You can't pull it out too far unless you start disconnecting stuff.

Now that I think about it, you probably don't even need to remove the shift console cover but I always do for more space to work or to run wires etc.

IIRC 15 mins or so start to finish...It usually takes longer to decide where you want to put the switch than to install it...Of course if you want to rearrange the switches this will add time. In my case I dropped the antenna up/down switch to the bottom row, shifted the top switches over to the right, and installed the CDL in the top row, far left. We could get 'er done in the parking lot before a meeting :thumb:

LARGEONE
05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Did both the 7-pin and the CDL today! Easy, except for trying to get the wires out of the transmission module...for some reason mine didn't want to come out!!! Yay!

pmccumber
05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
This is one mod, probably the only mod, that I could be of use for. If anyone ever wants to do it, I'd certainly help.

Matt, can't believe you've never done it.

Tim, yeah, I can bet you've had that panel off a ton with all those LEDs. With my CB, LED mike holder, and the CDL switch, I'm getting good at it too.

As far as not getting the wire out, if you open the connector as the Slee writeup suggests, it should come out pretty easily.

LARGEONE
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Actually...I was able to get the wire pin out of the connector very easily thanks to Christo's directions. It was trying to pull the connector out of the module that gave me trouble. It's hard to get two hands up in there and the connector was sticking to the Trans module. The bezel came off way easier than I expected...a few screws and a slight pull and bam!