PDA

View Full Version : Bending tube with heat question

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
So I'd like to bend up a cooler rack for my tire carrier before the season gets too far underway. I am wondering about bending up some square tubing to a reasonably tight curve (so that rules out the tube bender and dies I have access to).

Can I heat up the tubing with a propane torch enough to bend it around say a 2" pipe? I have a little burnz-o-matic gadget, I am wondering if this is possible for a whopping 4 corners? Or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks in advance-

nuclearlemon
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
possible, but i think a bernzomatic may not be enough heat. plenty enough for the side you're cooking, but by the time you get the rest hot, the one side cooled. may need a real torch. also might be prone to kinking, but not sure, just a wag.

AxleIke
04-23-2010, 04:22 PM
You are always welcome to come up to my folks and bend it with the oxy/acetylene. IMO, this isn't a particularly structural piece, and therefore you'll be just fine to bend it. I'd use the oxy torch though. Propane won't get you there.

I nice piece of pipe scrap of the appropriate dimensions would work wonders. I have some 2" stuff, but its thinner, and some 1.5" DOM, and an 8". Also have multiple bits of scrap.
I bet UB has some stuff hanging around too.
Up to you.

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I am wanting to bend 1x1 square tubing I think it is 16 ga. Should be somewhat easy to bend... might be harder to keep it from kinking.

Big John
04-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm going to guess that it will kink. Wouldn't it serve your purpose just as well to cut 45's and stick em together?

AxleIke
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
You can give it a shot. I've had some luck, but not with something that large. Bending it over a piece of tube is the key.

Up to you.

Corbet
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I have the 3/4" square, 3" x 180 die for my bender. I could bend up something for you if you want? Should be plenty of beef for a cooler rack. Send you the bends and you could finish.

TIMZTOY
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
I have the 3/4" square, 3" x 180 die for my bender. I could bend up something for you if you want? Should be plenty of beef for a cooler rack. Send you the bends and you could finish.

id reccomend just getting rezaf's exterior measurments of his cooler and bend it all up like your nice looking 80 cages.. and ask him how much air gap he'd like between the bar and the cooler.. finshed product would look better that way, instead of pieced togther bends ..:twocents:

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Wow, thats really generous Corbet. Hows the 3" measured? Radius?

Rezarf
04-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm going to guess that it will kink. Wouldn't it serve your purpose just as well to cut 45's and stick em together?

Cause it'll look cleaner ;)

Corbet
04-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Wow, thats really generous Corbet. Hows the 3" measured? Radius?

Just cover my cost of steel and shipping to you.

Radius is measured from the center of the tube from memory. So if I bend a 180 there is 5.25" (3 + 3 -.75) of air between the tubes. I need to put a tape across my 180 test tube to be sure. But a realitively tight fit around a cooler should not be much of a problem.

Hulk
04-24-2010, 12:19 AM
If you can bring it to Moab, I'm willing to haul it back. :)

Big John
04-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Cause it'll look cleaner ;) Seriously??? I'm not convinced that a torch bent square would look cleaner than a well put together square. Just trying to help...

Corbet
04-24-2010, 08:20 AM
If you can bring it to Moab, I'm willing to haul it back. :)

I don't think I'll have the time to get it done before I leave :(

Rezarf
04-24-2010, 09:01 AM
No worries Corbet, thanks for the offer. I may have to take Big John on just to proove a point ;) :D

I'm in no hurry, and I have a bunch of options, I just have tried the heat and bend process and don't want to mess with buying/aquiring the correct dies to make it happen for just a bend or two.

Thanks again everyone! :D

Hulk
04-24-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't think I'll have the time to get it done before I leave :(

Yeah, I wondered about that. Just thought I'd speak up as a willing deliveryman.

RockRunner
04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
If you don't want 90 degree bends welded together you can go make 22.5* cuts and have it angled. this way the corners look bend but are welded in on an angle. I hope this makes sense. 22.5+22.5+22.5+22.5=90*

Beater
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
um, 1" is 3/4" pipe right? or close? you can by pre-made 90 weld in corners, or radius bent pipe.

you could also section the tube, bend and weld shut.

lot's of ways to skin this cat. If it's just a cooler rack, you could use strap and bend that - 1" tube is overkill.

Big John
04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
No worries Corbet, thanks for the offer. I may have to take Big John on just to proove a point ;) :D

I'm in no hurry, and I have a bunch of options, I just have tried the heat and bend process and don't want to mess with buying/aquiring the correct dies to make it happen for just a bend or two.

Thanks again everyone! :D
Haha! I'll take you up on that. You make one and I'll make one and whoever makes the best looking one gets to beat Scotty over the head with the "ugly" one:eek::lmao:

Rezarf
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Haha! I'll take you up on that. You make one and I'll make one and whoever makes the best looking one gets to beat Scotty over the head with the "ugly" one:eek::lmao:

I don't even know Scotty... but deal! :D :lmao: