PDA

View Full Version : What's a good product to protect plywood

JadeRunner
04-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I want to paint or spray somthing heavy duty on the exposed plywood on the underside of my new off-road pop-up trailer. It's going to get muddy and wet etc. and I want to protect it.

What's a good product for this.

Uncle Ben
04-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Any of the 1 part uratane products such as Duraback, Line-X, Rhinoliner, etc..... That stuff really sticks to wood!

nakman
04-28-2006, 08:46 AM
That's a good idea, Scott, I can't believe they leave that usb exposed like that. Dang another thing I need to do this year... (thanks a lot, buddy!) I would think just paint or primer would work too, in the interim until you can do something more substantial.

Though given some recent off-road history, maybe sheet metal is more appropriate? :lmao:

Uncle Ben
04-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Though given some recent off-road history, maybe sheet metal is more appropriate? :lmao:

LOL I was thinking the same but I think 3/16" would be minimum Yoder plating! :lmao: :beer:

Bobzooki
04-28-2006, 09:18 AM
LOL I was thinking the same but I think 3/16" would be minimum Yoder plating! :lmao: :beer:

I'm thinking Scott would need quarter-inch steel. I don't think he's ever heard the word "finesse". :hill: :D :rolleyes:

nakman
04-28-2006, 09:22 AM
In my head is a picture of an old rowboat, bolted up to the bottom of the camper. Protection to go through anything, provides great aerodynamics, plus internal storage!

Rzeppa
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Scott, the toughest coating for wood that I know of is marine spar varnish. It's made for decks and masts on boats, so you know it will handle the worst environments. I use it on all outdoor wood, and is vastly superior to any polyurethane product I have tried. I am currently using it on my redecking project.

JadeRunner
04-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Scott, the toughest coating for wood that I know of is marine spar varnish. It's made for decks and masts on boats, so you know it will handle the worst environments. I use it on all outdoor wood, and is vastly superior to any polyurethane product I have tried. I am currently using it on my redecking project.

So where can I pick that up big guy.

You guys crack me up.

Rzeppa
04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
So where can I pick that up big guy.Green Mountain Ace Hardware was where I got a gallon last week, was around $30 or so.