PDA

View Full Version : Man I am in deep!

Rezarf
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM
So this weekend as I have a big list of major work to get done before heading to the high country for the summer, things like: new headers to install, new locker to install, major tune up to do, etc. I decide to instead make my dash look pretty again.

Yesterday I pulled the glove box door and ash tray and stripped them down to bare metal and primed them up. I "re-lettered" my dash knobs with some white enamel to make them pop again.

Today I dove into the gauge cluster and I am now pretty deep! :D

I am down to the shell of the cluster, pulled the glass out, replaced all the bulbs with LEDs and am in the process of stripping off the old rusty paint and getting ready for new. I touched up the needles with some hunter orange paint and overall it is a fun project, but man... there is a lot to that little gauge cluster.

Anyhow our camera is MIA so no pics yet...

Lots to do before putting it back together.:thumb:

Drew

nuclearlemon
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Anyhow our camera is MIA so no pics yet...
w

u suck

no pics = no proof you got squat done ;)

TIMZTOY
05-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Yea. I haven't seen sh*t yet. so...... You haven't done anything yet ?:p::lmao:

Uncle Ben
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Liar! :rolleyes:

Hulk
05-04-2010, 01:06 AM
I want to see the LED install, Drew.

Rezarf
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Yea. I haven't seen sh*t yet.

Well, I can show you that if you'd like! :hill: :thumb:

CardinalFJ60
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
the interior is torn out of my 40...this is on the list of projects. Love to see what you've done.

Rezarf
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, our camera is offically gone :( we accidently (read me) left it somewhere on campus on Thursday night and all lost and founds have turned up empty.

Anyhow, I did get the cluster back in, but I put an idiot scratch right in the front when reinstalling it! :rant: Isn't that how it HAS to happen? :rant:

Otherwise it looks awesome! I can acutally see all the gauges perfectly, and may need to dim them a bit at night ;) :cool:

The turn signals are so bright it is a bit alarming, again... :cool:

Actually, I removed the shields that cover the main lights as well, and it makes such a big difference, I can see all the dust that I left behind inside the cluster :o

I used a little Flitz on the glass and that really brought the glass back into shape, it is now... well, as clear as glass. ;)

As soon as we get a new camera I will post up a few pics, and maybe how I plan on fixin' my boo-boo.

Corbet
05-04-2010, 10:39 PM
what no camera phone? email to yourself then post up. Otherwise I'm with everyone else. Your making this all up:p:

Uncle Ben
05-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Well, our camera is offically gone :( we accidently (read me) left it somewhere on campus on Thursday night and all lost and founds have turned up empty.

Anyhow, I did get the cluster back in, but I put an idiot scratch right in the front when reinstalling it! :rant: Isn't that how it HAS to happen? :rant:

Otherwise it looks awesome! I can acutally see all the gauges perfectly, and may need to dim them a bit at night ;) :cool:

The turn signals are so bright it is a bit alarming, again... :cool:

Actually, I removed the shields that cover the main lights as well, and it makes such a big difference, I can see all the dust that I left behind inside the cluster :o

I used a little Flitz on the glass and that really brought the glass back into shape, it is now... well, as clear as glass. ;)

As soon as we get a new camera I will post up a few pics, and maybe how I plan on fixin' my boo-boo.

:blah::blah::blah::blah:

subzali
05-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Drew, are you doing a new rear locker or are you installing a front locker?

AxleIke
05-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Drew, are you doing a new rear locker or are you installing a front locker?

Pretty sure he's putting in the rear locker he's had sitting around for quite some time. He's open front and rear right now.

CardinalFJ60
06-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I pulled the gauge cluster yesterday for clean up etc...

1. how'd you pull the light shields off? drill'em out or something?
2. did you pull the face off? (the silver part?) just opening those tabs?
3. the labels for fuel, temp etc...that plate is starting to rust and I'm no artist, any suggestions on sprucing that up? it's just black and white.
4. do you have any of that orange paint left? I love to 'borrow' enough to hit the speedo needle.

what LEDs (PN) did you get and where?

thanks!

-s

Hulk
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
There's a really old article in TT about pulling off the light shields. IIRC, I used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel when I did mine 10 years ago. I'll see if I can find the article and scan it.

CardinalFJ60
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
a Dremel was my first thought...however 30k rpm got me scared at first. a copy of that article would be great.
thanks.

Rezarf
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I pulled the gauge cluster yesterday for clean up etc...

1. how'd you pull the light shields off? drill'em out or something?
2. did you pull the face off? (the silver part?) just opening those tabs?
3. the labels for fuel, temp etc...that plate is starting to rust and I'm no artist, any suggestions on sprucing that up? it's just black and white.
4. do you have any of that orange paint left? I love to 'borrow' enough to hit the speedo needle.

what LEDs (PN) did you get and where?

thanks!

-s

1. I just grabbed them with a set of vice grip needle nose pliers and wiggled back and forth like a paper clip till they snapped off. Took about 2 minutes.

2. Yup, pulled the whole thing. Bent back the bottom and side tabs, left the front in place. I used a steel punch/drift to reset them when I was done.

3. That's a tough one, it looks like they were silk screened on there (or similar). I guess you could repaint it black and have someone cut you some new vinyl letters, but it seems sketchy to me. I would clean them up as much as possible or track down a cleaner peice.

4. I am away for the summer so I doubt you want to wait, but if you do, by all means you can borrow it! :thumb:

The LEDs I got from www.superbrightleds.com search the FAQ on mud and they come right up. If you do order some Shawn would you get me a replacement dash light for the pull knobs, somehow I forgot to add one to my order and shipping is as much as the bulb, so if I can jump in and split it with you that'd be cool. Thanks!

CardinalFJ60
06-01-2010, 04:58 PM
thanks!!! and I'll totally add them to the order. as a matter of fact, before I order, I'll place a thread to see if anyone else needs some LEDs

MDH33
06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
thanks!!! and I'll totally add them to the order. as a matter of fact, before I order, I'll place a thread to see if anyone else needs some LEDs

I've been wanting to do this mod too, so if you order, let me know and I'll throw in on it for some LED's. :thumb:

corsair23
06-01-2010, 05:19 PM

:cool:

I want to do some LED in the popup...I was totally jealous having to use our Coleman lantern at CM10 in the popup while Nakman was sporting LEDs galore with no worries of draining the battery :D

ttubb
06-02-2010, 07:24 AM
The LEDs I got from www.superbrightleds.com search the FAQ on mud and they come right up. If you do order some Shawn would you get me a replacement dash light for the pull knobs, somehow I forgot to add one to my order and shipping is as much as the bulb, so if I can jump in and split it with you that'd be cool. Thanks!

I could not find a cross-reference for a 1978 FJ-40 on the site. Could you give me the numbers you ordered for instrument and interior light bulbs? Thanks, Terry

subzali
06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Trollhole on MUD came up with the bulb numbers...

...and a quick trip to my bio page to come up with the link I saved there reveals...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/69423-light-bulbs-land-cruisers.html

BTW thanks Isaac, I thought Drew already put that locker in the rear of his truck...

By the way the LEDs worked great for my instrument cluster, but I wouldn't recommend them for the control knob illumination (located in the dash foam). It wasn't nearly as bright as the incandescent bulb...

...and by the way check out this website (this is amaurer on MUD) for more illumination/gauge ideas...:D
http://www.cruiseruser.com/gaugerep.html

ttubb
06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Trollhole on MUD came up with the bulb numbers...

...and a quick trip to my bio page to come up with the link I saved there reveals...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/69423-light-bulbs-land-cruisers.html

[/url]

Thanks Matt. Ordered bulbs for the 40 and the 4Runner. Terry