PDA

View Full Version : rth: FORD content...cash for help

timmbuck2
05-02-2010, 04:02 PM
So I bought a 83 F250 diesel 5 speed for the farm and towing and hauling crap. The day before we left for Moab I drove it around the block and parked it, then 30 seconds later I tried to start it and the key seems to go all the way in, but it will not turn. The outside piece that you turn actually spins all the way around without the key in it, but if you insert the key all the way, you cannot turn it at all. After a little google searches, I tried turning the wheel in both directions really hard and shaking it (it is locked) and wiggling the key all around, but nothing has worked. Odd thing is when you open the door it chimes like the key is still in the cylinder. I am going to try some graphite but I am not too positive it will help much. I am stumped, and I *really* to get this truck going ASAP, I need to get it emission tested and registered tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In fact any mechanics or locksmith type people who want to make a few bucks today or tomorrow, please give me a yell

Thanks all...and sorry about the FORD content...

SteveH
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
If this truck has a pushbutton to remove the key (on the left side of the column), there is probably a die-cast linkage part that is broken. My 1990 F-250 had this. I found that I had to turn the key further each time I tried to start it. Remove the steering column clamshells and study the linkages and bits in there. The linkage part was readily available at the dealer for $10 or so. I cut off the part that engaged the pushbutton, which made life easier.

On a truck of that age/ilk, almost any part of the lock cyl or steering column could be worn out. Fortunately, parts are cheap (ign cyls at least) and it's pretty easy to service. My biggest fear is that Ford's parts system won't show parts on truck that old.

timmbuck2
05-02-2010, 04:45 PM
thanks! the pushbutton is on the right side of the column right behind the key cylinder. IF I can find the time today I will take the plastic off and see what I can find. Thanks!

Timm

If this truck has a pushbutton to remove the key (on the left side of the column), there is probably a die-cast linkage part that is broken. My 1990 F-250 had this. I found that I had to turn the key further each time I tried to start it. Remove the steering column clamshells and study the linkages and bits in there. The linkage part was readily available at the dealer for $10 or so. I cut off the part that engaged the pushbutton, which made life easier.

On a truck of that age/ilk, almost any part of the lock cyl or steering column could be worn out. Fortunately, parts are cheap (ign cyls at least) and it's pretty easy to service. My biggest fear is that Ford's parts system won't show parts on truck that old.

SteveH
05-02-2010, 09:45 PM
On my truck, the pushbutton was on the opposite (left) side of the column. Nevertheless, if you take it apart and look in there with a good flashlight, you'll see what's going on.

TIMZTOY
05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Sound to me like a broken lock cylender. I'll put $5 on it that the lo k cylender is broken Internally. Those are cheap about 20$ or less. And you should. Be able to replace it your self. Any problems just call me

timmbuck2
05-03-2010, 12:03 AM
found out the truck was stolen a few years ago and they probably messed with the cylinder...

TIMZTOY
05-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Yep. That type of cylender is the one you can just shove a screw driver into.

timmbuck2
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
took off the plastic shroud around the steering wheel. all looks normal. directions I found on the internet make it seem easy...just push this pin in at the bottom of the cylinder *with the key in the run position*. Sigh. Sounds like I may have to drill that pin out, and it sounds like it is tricky. Anyone a mechanic with some free time!??!

timmbuck2
05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
hmm...so here is what a guy from a Ford forum says:

On your 93:
NOTE:
The following procedure applies to vehicles in which the ignition lock is inoperative and the lock cylinder cannot be rotated due to a lost or broken lock cylinder key, unknown key number, or a lock cylinder cap that has been damaged and/or broken to the extent that the lock cylinder cannot be rotated.
Removal
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove steering wheel as outlined.
3. Using channel lock pliers or vise grip pliers, twist lock cylinder cap until it separates from the lock cylinder.
4. Using a 3/8-inch diameter drill, drill down middle of ignition lock key slot approximately 44mm (1-3/4 inch) until lock cylinder breaks loose from breakaway base of lock cylinder. Remove lock cylinder and drill shavings from lock cylinder housing.
5. Remove retainer, washer, ignition switch and actuator. Thoroughly clean all drill shavings and other foreign materials from casting.
6. Carefully inspect lock cylinder housing for damage from the above operation. If damage is apparent, housing must be replaced.

Installation
1. Replace lock cylinder housing, if damaged.
2. Install actuator and ignition switch as outlined.
3. Install trim and electrical parts.
4. Install new ignition lock cylinder as outlined.
5. Install steering wheel as outlined.
6. Connect battery ground cable.
7. Check lock cylinder operation.

timmbuck2
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
heck I would rather just break the darn thing and not have to use a key, for now....any former car thieves on here? ;)

TIMZTOY
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
All of that process takes only about 20 minutes providing the drilling step cooperates. Can this Waite till Sunday ? Or do you need it now ?

I work
today 12-9
tommorw 8-5
Friday 8-5