PDA

View Full Version : Denver area Run on May 8th?

toy1195e
05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm still pretty new to the area, went on two runs with the club last summer.

Just wondering if anyone would want to do a day trip on May 8th? Not sure how much snow is still on the trails, is it too early to do something that wouldn't be all snow?

Paul

-'85 solid axle pickup, 3" lift, winch, 31's, locked front and rear

corsair23
05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Should be some stuff open by now...I'd be up for it but it is still soccer season for the kiddos...

RedCreeper
05-04-2010, 05:46 PM
May be depends on where..... may have the time to do it....

pramjockey
05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Definite possibility - gotta check with the boss

toy1195e
05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
May be depends on where..... may have the time to do it....

Hopefully one of you will have a suggestion for an area that should be suitable for this time of year. Nothing too far away.

SRT08BUS
05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
If I can get all the stuff changed I need to, I'm in. Maybe something around 103/Idaho Springs.

RedCreeper
05-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Not sure if i can make it now. Life just happend. I will keep looking at the post just in case.

Gmann
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I am interested. I also don't know what we could run at this point. If Anyone has any ideas regardless if you can make the run, throw out some ideas for us. Anybody,Anyone?????? Much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

RedCreeper
05-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Depends on what everyone is looking for. There is Switzerland, Bunce School Road, Yankee Hill which are closer. Not sure about Kingson Peak. Just throwing them out there.

Loki
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Would Bunce School Road be open? I'm interested in a run... Just been waiting for the snow to go away.

Air Randy
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
You may want to consider Spring Creek. Heres the description of it from Traildamage.com:

Spring Creek
Clear Creek County, Colorado
View this on the Colorado Trailheads Map

Nearby Towns: Idaho Springs, Georgetown
Nearby Trails: Bill Moore Lake, Kingston Peak, Red Elephant Hill, Saxon Mountain, Cascade Creek
Season: Year Round
Trail Length: 5.5 miles
Elevation: 8,100 to 11,000 feet

This is a fun trail that is very accessible because it is close to Denver and low enough in elevation that it can be run very early and late in the year compared to many Colorado trails. It's also right next to a Starbucks, which is a nice bonus.

You start on the trail right next to I-70 and you can hear it or see it for a good portion of the trail. It starts up a steep hill of rock and you will come to a "Y" in the road where you can continue straight ahead or turn right. If you go straight then right away you get to the first obstacle, a big hill of rock and dirt. Go to the right side of the lower part of the hill for the easiest line. If you turn right at the "Y" you can bypass the hill but it's worth checking out (it's very easy to turn around if you decide not to take the hill). This obstacle can be very difficult and dangerous if it is muddy at the bottom. It is probably the most dangerous of all of the obstacles on this trail.

You'll climb the mountain after the first obstacle, often on narrow shelf roads. There is a rocky second obstacle near the edge of the mountain on a switchback, overlooking the highway and a nice view of Georgetown. Careful tire placement will get you through these rocks without any issues (keep your tires on the high points).

The third major obstacle is at another switchback, though this one is safer in the trees. It is much more difficult and it is in the shade, making it stay muddy when the second obstacle is dry. There are many lines through the obstacle though none of them is particularly easy.

You'll see more rocky hills and some cliffs, along with a few smaller rock challenges. These challenges get more interesting with snow or rain as most of the trail is dirt.

The most challenging part is the Rock Garden. It's a lengthy, rocky piece of the trail with many ways through it. There are some easy lines and some very difficult lines, so you'll need to get out and plan your route before attempting it for the first time. There is a brief bypass to the right of the rocks that will get you around the biggest of the obstacle's rocks, but it won't get you around all of it. Be sure to watch for signs as this bypass may be closed in the near future.

When you get to the top you'll find the large meadow with a gorgeous view. Turn right to go down Saxon Mountain to Georgetown (moderate trail) or turn left to visit a network of trails including Cascade Creek (moderate), Ute Creek (easy), Spring Gulch (easy), and Trail Creek (easy). See the map and additional trail information on this site for details about these trails and roads.

Driving Directions

Take I-70 from Denver to the Downieville exit 234 about 5 minutes past Idaho Springs. Turn right at the bottom of the exit, then left again to run alongside the highway on a frontage road. You'll pass under I-70 to continue west, then turn left to cross the creek. The trail starts to your left next to the creek.

Meeting Places

Meet at the Starbucks next to the gas station at Downieville, exit 234 off of I-70.

Blackdiamond72
05-05-2010, 07:13 PM
That starbucks is closed for a remodel, just an FYI.

You can run that trail up to the Argentine Mine, beautiful area and the trail is mostly in the trees so it never gets too much snow. I ran in a few weeks back. I'd lead a trail run up there but alas, I have to work. The trail goes towards argentine pass and the ghost town of Waldorf. Should be able to find a description somewhere online. Leads out of Georgetown.

subzali
05-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Slaughterhouse is probably open...

...hey James is our "Stay the Trail" banner still doing ok on Argentine? Did you notice?

MDH33
05-06-2010, 07:15 AM
May 8th is the trail cleanup day at Lefthand Canyon. If you have time and want to head out to the trails and do some good to help keep them open, I would encourage everyone to attend. :thumb:

pramjockey
05-06-2010, 07:43 AM
May 8th is the trail cleanup day at Lefthand Canyon. If you have time and want to head out to the trails and do some good to help keep them open, I would encourage everyone to attend. :thumb:

You know, that's a really good point.

SRT08BUS
05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm out for this weekend, I've been waiting for a call back to get the round about cost for installing Icon back shocks, Slee LCA's and a Icon rear height adjust bar. And I still have to get the money together for it. If I can break away from work as well, I might be able to use the ranch truck to go help out at LHC.

toy1195e
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Where can I find info on this?

MDH33
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Where can I find info on this?

The Trail Ridge Runners and COHVCO are getting this together. Here's a link to the flyer with all the info:

http://trr4wd.com/lefthand_cln10.htm

toy1195e
05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
The Trail Ridge Runners and COHVCO are getting this together. Here's a link to the flyer with all the info:

http://trr4wd.com/lefthand_cln10.htm

Thanks, I may just go to this and hope for a trail run a bit later.