PDA

View Full Version : 97 FZJ80 epic fail on emissions

timmbuck2
05-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Amber just went to get emissions on her 1997 80 and failed miserably. Bad gas cap and I think she said that CO2 was supposed to be something like 15 and hers was 181. There is a check engine light that I think is O2 sensors. Will replace those, but ARGH! Oh Mr. Robbie, expect a PM and email soon. :)

T

nakman
05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Bummer, man, just went through this myself. here's the saga: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10919&highlight=fail+emissions

timmbuck2
05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
ok...so HC limit is 1.2 and she got 6.36

CO limit is 15 and she got 181.05?!?!?!?

nox was only 1.07

Could the check engine light (for o2 sensor last I checked) plus some old gas (been sitting for a couple of weeks with very little highway miles) make the CO *that* high??

nakman
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that CO is much higher than just bad gas... I think you're looking at O2 sensors and cats man, sorry. :(

edit: what's the CEL code? 420? 401? do you need to borrow a code reader for a while?

nattybumppo
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
If you have to get a cat, try Bud's Muffler at 10th and Sante Fe. They just put one on my Audi and it cut emissions down to almost nothing, for $380.

bh4rnnr
05-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Amber just went to get emissions on her 1997 80 and failed miserably. Bad gas cap and I think she said that CO2 was supposed to be something like 15 and hers was 181. There is a check engine light that I think is O2 sensors. Will replace those, but ARGH! Oh Mr. Robbie, expect a PM and email soon. :)

T

Wont help with CL, but did you drive it on the highway before hand? Makes a huge difference!!!

nuclearlemon
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
timm, has the rig been tuned up at all? that will help, along with a clean air filter and a couple cans of heet, but you definitely have something else going on.

got to do mine this month. went over my 08 results and they were hc gpm .1787, co gpm 1.6557, and nox .6021. we'll see if it's all still good. i recently cleaned out the tube through the manifold, which officially eliminated any p0401 codes that it occasionally threw. all i get now are occassional o2 sensors, but i think that's from a leaky flex pipe. going to throw a couple cans of air line antifreeze in first and cross my fingers that it will pass.

Convert
05-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Cats
Been there done that good tune up would help

Hulk
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I ended up with 2 new cats (plus both O2 sensors). Finally passed with flying colors.

nuclearlemon
05-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm at the one in Arvada now . They spent a lot of time looking under neath. Not sure if it's the single cat or jerry rigged exhaust

Uncle Ben
05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm at the one in Arvada now . They spent a lot of time looking under neath. Not sure if it's the single cat or jerry rigged exhaust

Good luck Ige!

nuclearlemon
05-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Passed all but carbon. 1.0832 over

Uncle Ben
05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Passed all but carbon. 1.0832 over

Impressive! Carbon is rich fuel mix. Some heat in the tank or a stop at someplace that sells Ethanol and your good to go! Most of the 80 failures have been high NO. That is from to high of cylinder pressure or insufficient cats.

LARGEONE
05-15-2010, 03:44 PM
My friend down the street failed on his two weeks ago. His NOx was over the NEW NOx limit. It would have passed before, but not now. Anyway, two new O2s (Boulder Toyota matched Dan's price, by the way!) and he passed with flying colors. It was hard to find a technician who could keep the test on the line with the older vehicle throttle, but once someone was able to do that, his NOx was in the 2 range instead of close to 6!

Just thought I'd post as an FYI.

CO is usually a different issue, IIRC...like CATS :(

Good luck!

pmccumber
05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I ended up with 2 new cats (plus both O2 sensors). Finally passed with flying colors.

I want to really thank you guys ... I was having a great deal of anxiety about where to dump my money next and this thread has quelled it to a large degree. Phew! I have my emissions coming up here in August so I don't have to worry about saving any money any time soon; that is a relief!

Uncle Ben
05-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Matt, how high is your EGT now with two cats and a SC?

farnhamstj
05-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Bummer Tim and Ige, but I'll the the eco friendly guy here and say that the system works. Tim, if your rig is polluting that much, you should repair it. Not trying to start a debate just sharing my feelings. If our club preaches, "stay the trail" "tread lightly" etc. Then adhering to emissions standards is something we should all do.

Just so you don't think I'm a whack job, I believe driving a 12 year old V8 Landcruiser with 200k on the clock is more enviromentaly freindly than buying a NEW Prius.

Good luck with the repairs.

Uncle Ben
05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Bummer Tim and Ige, but I'll the the eco friendly guy here and say that the system works. Tim, if your rig is polluting that much, you should repair it. Not trying to start a debate just sharing my feelings. If our club preaches, "stay the trail" "tread lightly" etc. Then adhering to emissions standards is something we should all do.

Just so you don't think I'm a whack job, I believe driving a 12 year old V8 Landcruiser with 200k on the clock is more enviromentaly freindly than buying a NEW Prius.

Good luck with the repairs.

What your Liberal thinking fails to realize is that these vehicle DO meet the standard that they were designed to meet. The new standards put in place nearly three years ago are designed to get these vehicles off the road by now having to pass standards that they were never engineered for. Our "free" country is shaping up to Liberal mind set nicely. We do have the right to have and bear arms but we can't get ammunition and recycling the key to our future so scrap everything and sell the scrap to third world countrys. Perfect! :rant:

MDH33
05-16-2010, 12:31 PM
If I can get my 1985 FJ60 that only runs on 5 cylinders to pass the emissions tests easily, I would think you guys with 80's and 100's should be able to get them to pass no problem. ;) My 60 blows more smoke when cold than a pot-head at a reefer rally. :hill:

Hulk
05-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Matt, how high is your EGT now with two cats and a SC?

Haven't measured it since the SC install. Is there an easy way to do this? I'd be interested.

Uncle Ben
05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Haven't measured it since the SC install. Is there an easy way to do this? I'd be interested.

First off....does it smell when you working it? How hot is the floor?

timmbuck2
05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that CO is much higher than just bad gas... I think you're looking at O2 sensors and cats man, sorry. :(

edit: what's the CEL code? 420? 401? do you need to borrow a code reader for a while?

I think I might take you up on the code reader offer. PM a time and place and your beverage of choice.

thanks

T

nakman
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
I think I might take you up on the code reader offer. PM a time and place and your beverage of choice.

thanks

T

Well as much as you're welcome to this thing, you're probably better off just doing the free rental thing from Auto Zone.. or borrowing someone else's? It would be cheaper and easier than chasing me down these next few weeks. I'm on my way to San Jose right now, will be in Connecticut next week, so heck I could bring it to the meeting the following week but you probably need before then right? I only have a simple reader, it's not a Scangage II or anything.

timmbuck2
05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
no worries, going to just get new carts anyway and (hopefully) be done with it. thanks!

timmbuck2
05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
does it smell when you working it?

hmm...new sig line?? :D

so, the amazing power of preventive maintenance....or heck just regular ole oil changes....

was about to call and schedule an appointment for new cats, and Robbie answered an email and asked if I had done the basics yet. I also was reading on MUD that new cats mainly helped with NOX issues, not so much with CO issues. So last night I changed the oil, new air filter, new sparkplugs, bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment, replaced front O2 sensor that was throwing the code and then reset the cel, and swapped gas caps with my 80. This morning added 2 bottles of red Heet and drove it up to Evergreen for Starbucks to heat it all up, then back down to the testing station off of 58th and Wads. Passed with flying colors! CO dropped to 1.8!! Thanks for all the advice, guess I get to wait at least 2 more years for new cats!! :thumb:

TIMZTOY
05-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Lol. Nice. Sure beats 300-600 on new cats and now your going to get better gasmillage.