PDA

View Full Version : Mini truck suspension & axle stuff

Air Randy
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
OK, I'm going to wider diamond axle housings & links so I'm going to be able to re-use most of my existing running gear HW. But I will have a lot of stuff I will no longer need too. Everything was installed new 3 months ago and has less than 500 miles on it and 1 weeks worth of trails at Moab:

1985 front axle housing with knuckle ball gussets, top truss, diff armor, MC inner axle seals, all this was done new 3 months ago-$175 OBO

IFS width rear axle housing with diff armor, 3 hole spring perches-$50

IFS width chrome moly rear axles, including new bearings, seals and bearing cups. Ready to slide in if used with disc brakes. If you are going to use drum brakes you will have to press the bearings cups off, install your drum backing plate, then press the bearing cups on again. 3 mo old-$250 ($400 new)

All Pro long travel front rockcrawler leaf springs. 6" lift and these will relocate your front axle 1.5" forward versus stock. They are the same length as stock and are a direct bolt-in, includes bushings & greasable bolts. 3 mo old-$150 ($250 new)

All Pro long travel rear rock crawler leaf springs. 6" lift, they are longer than stock so you have to weld a new hanger bracket on your frame ahead of the stock mount location. Includes bushings & greasable bolts. 3 mo old-$200 ($300 new)

Front U bolt flip kits including HD U bolts. 3 mo old -$30

Rear U bolt flip kit including HD U bolts. 3 mo old - $30

6" front greasable shackles, 3 mo old-$50

6" rear greasable shackles, 3 mo old-$50

2 Bilstein 5150 reservoir shocks 14" -3 mo old $100

2 Bilstein 5150 reservoir shocks 12" -3 mo old $100

If someone wants to buy the complete set of leaf springs, shackles, U bolt flip kits and shocks, I will sell the package for $650

I you want the housings & axles too I can also make a package deal too. If you are converting to a SAS front this is virtually everything you need to do it. Call if you need more info. Randy 303-319-8976

rover67
05-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Calling PERRY!!!!

DaveInDenver
05-06-2010, 04:01 PM
How much SAS welding is included in those prices? :-)

MDH33
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Calling PERRY!!!!

That's what I was thinking too. He was talking about taking it to Profitts and having it out of commission for the whole summer. With this set up, we could probably all help him out and have his 'runner running again in a week. ;)

DaveInDenver
05-06-2010, 04:15 PM
How tall does the roof end up being running an SAS with the All-Pro springs? I would only be able to add about 6" of height to my truck and still be able to close the WilderNest.

Yeah, this has Perry written all over it.

Squishy!
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey I'm interested in those All-Pro springs front and rear. IIRC I think I'm running 4" springs(calling Red Chili!), but I'm going 37" tires next go-round (on the blue truck) so i'm wanting a little taller.

Air Randy
05-06-2010, 10:50 PM
How tall does the roof end up being running an SAS with the All-Pro springs? I would only be able to add about 6" of height to my truck and still be able to close the WilderNest.

Yeah, this has Perry written all over it.

I think they give you 6" of lift.

If Perry wants to go SAS I'll volunteer my shop, plasma cutter and MIG welder to the project. As long as others with more experience come over to help, I bet we could get this knocked out in a weekend easy.

I can tell him exactly which brackets he would need to order from TrailGear to make the kit complete.

AxleIke
05-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Randy, since I can't do the bead locks, I want to call dibs on the rear cromo axles, if you've still got them.

bh4rnnr
05-07-2010, 07:08 AM
I think they give you 6" of lift.

If Perry wants to go SAS I'll volunteer my shop, plasma cutter and MIG welder to the project. As long as others with more experience come over to help, I bet we could get this knocked out in a weekend easy.

I can tell him exactly which brackets he would need to order from TrailGear to make the kit complete.

Verry kind of you Randy:bowdown:.

I'll PM you this weekend when I have time.

:beer::beer:

J Kimmel
05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I help you put that under there Perry, with the bracket kit its a snap.

MDH33
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Hey I'm interested in those All-Pro springs front and rear. IIRC I think I'm running 4" springs(calling Red Chili!), but I'm going 37" tires next go-round (on the blue truck) so i'm wanting a little taller.

Randy, since I can't do the bead locks, I want to call dibs on the rear cromo axles, if you've still got them.

You guys aren't going to give Perry a shot at the whole package before you call dibs on pieces? Dats Cold!:hill:

AxleIke
05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
You guys aren't going to give Perry a shot at the whole package before you call dibs on pieces?

:rolleyes:

Perry can have em. Didn't read the thread closely to see that it had been called for him already.

Uncle Ben
05-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Verry kind of you Randy:bowdown:.

I'll PM you this weekend when I have time.

:beer::beer:

:thumb::thumb::bowdown::perry:

rover67
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Awesome, Perry, just what the doctor ordered, I'd also be willing to help out if I am in town when it get rolling!

SWEET!!!

MDH33
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
:rolleyes:

Perry can have em. Didn't read the thread closely to see that it had been called for him already.

I wasn't busting your chops. ;) Fair enough to get in line, and Perry didn't even say for sure he wanted the stuff. We're just giving him pressure because he needs it. :)

Uncle Ben
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I wasn't busting your chops. ;) Fair enough to get in line, and Perry didn't even say for sure he wanted the stuff. We're just giving him pressure because he needs it. :)

No problem lining up for any parts Perry might not get!

Air Randy
05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Were going to have to help Perry round up the rest of the bits to make the front axle complete since I'm keeping most of my stuff from it.

If he wants the Longfield inner axle shafts he will also need outers/birfs; a diff;knuckles, hubs, brakes, etc. All I will have left is the housing itself, the inners, the drag link and tie rod. Perry will also need:

High steer arms-$130
Front drop hanger-$75
Frame tubes/jigs-$40
Shock hoops-$50
Frt & rear Extd brake lines-$70
Vented rotors-$80
Motor mount covers-$8
1.5" wheel spacers-$80 **
Rear spring&shackle hanger brackets-$65
All of these items and the prices our from the TrailGear website.

**Skye has a kit that allows you to use your IFS wheel hubs, IFS calipers along with the vented rotors included above. This widens the front axle 3" without using wheel spacers and gives you better brakes than stock mini truck. The kit is $229.

He already has the IFS width rear so he can use the CM axles if he wants to mount his backing plates on them.

rover67
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I have knuckles, calipers, and rotors for a 60 axle..

will those work?

RLMS
05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I have knuckles, calipers, and rotors for a 60 axle..

will those work?

yep!!:D

rover67
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
cool, I also have the hubs for the rotors/wheels

Air Randy
05-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Then he has almost everything he needs for the front axle. He'll need birfs/axles and a diff. I have a stock open diff with, I think, 4.10's in it. That should match the rear diff on his IFS truck right?

Seems like a shame though to have it all tore apart and not put some type of locker in there.............

DaveInDenver
05-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Perry is running 5.29 gears in both axles right now and has a rear locker.

Air Randy
05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Perry is running 5.29 gears in both axles right now and has a rear locker.

So he's going to have to track down a set of 5.29 gears for an 8" diff and some sort of locker if he wants that up front.

rover67
05-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Will my old 60 diff bolt into the minitruck housing? they are bigger right?

wesintl
05-07-2010, 05:09 PM
perry should just put 60 axles under the runner :hill:

rover67
05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
hey that's an idea! I have both front and rear!

I like the way we are building Perry's truck for him here :)

Air Randy
05-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Not a bad idea, it would give him a little more width. But it would probably be a much more involved install. I know if you put 60 axles under a 40 you have to outboard the springs on the frame to fit the spring pads in front. I'm thinking you might have to do the same, or cut off the spring pads and put news one on both sides.

Air Randy
05-07-2010, 08:32 PM
When is Perry going to weigh in here so we can get started on this thing? :D

nakman
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Is Perry getting a leaf front end? Or are we doing a 3 or 4-link? I bet we could scrape up a few 80 panhards... :)

TIMZTOY
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
i too would like the sas parts if perry dosent want them.. because im wanting to sas a mini also..

Air Randy
05-08-2010, 09:16 AM
i too would like the sas parts if perry dosent want them.. because im wanting to sas a mini also..

First one to step forward with money in hand...........

bh4rnnr
05-08-2010, 09:48 AM
When is Perry going to weigh in here so we can get started on this thing? :D

Just letting you guys get all the details worke out:hill:

Is Perry getting a leaf front end? Or are we doing a 3 or 4-link? I bet we could scrape up a few 80 panhards... :)

Tim, this is an interesting idea. Christo and the rest of the fabricating guys, what would be involved in getting a 80 suspension under the 4runner?

hey that's an idea! I have both front and rear!

I like the way we are building Perry's truck for him here :) Thanks guys, way to change my plans:hill::bowdown:.

Since we hijacked Randy's thread already, here was my thought on th 4runner:

Sas up front. Arb's front and read as i'm getting worried about that 12 year old eazylocker. Dual t-cases and rear fenders so Nathaniel doesnt have to shovel mud off the truck:eek:.

Randy, it'll be about a week before I can get a little bit of spending money. So if Tim's ready now, go ahead.

AxleIke
05-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Just letting you guys get all the details worke out:hill:

Tim, this is an interesting idea. Christo and the rest of the fabricating guys, what would be involved in getting a 80 suspension under the 4runner?

I would suggest against doing this.

The 80 front suspension is a good factory set up, but with the amount of fabrication involved, you would have the same amount of time into linking it with a traditional 3 link, and that is going to provide you with a lot more adjustability and a suspension that doesn't bind up. Radius arms by their nature bind, and limit flex quite a bit.

I tried to run the 80 radius arms in my set up, and found them to be extremely limiting in flex, even less than leaf springs.

I guess this all depends on how much time and money and effort you want to put into this.

Going with randy's stuff could net you one weekend of down time provided you have everything ready to go. Links will take longer, and require more mods.

Up to you though. IMO, links are far superior to leafs and get rid of all kinds of issues, plus allow you to run a much lower truck.

Uncle Ben
05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Even if most of the hardware is free doing links can be costly especially on the front. Coil overs are the best bang for the buck but are very pricey. Coil buckets are much easier but take room that you probably don't have. Volunteer efforts offered are awesome but your design and critical fab work most likely are going to cost ya. I would get Randy's discards and do an SAS with lift and run that sucka. You can always do links later if needed. Just my 2 cents

nakman
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah I was just funnin, wasn't really thinking 80 front end, but a more simple 3-link.. that 3rd gen runner near Randy's camp at CM was just beautiful, a ton of travel and wasn't super tall off the ground. But I agree with :kevin:, :perry:, do it simple and just leaf it first, then you can decide if you want to upgrade to a 3-link setup later, especially since your downtime is likely to be at someone else's house.

Air Randy
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Randy, it'll be about a week before I can get a little bit of spending money. So if Tim's ready now, go ahead.

No problem, all of the stuff is still on my truck so no big hurry. Biggest thing is I do have some people lined up wanting bits and pieces and I'm holding them off so you have first dibs on the complete setup. Let me know what you do and don't want so I don't lose my buyers on the bits.