PDA

View Full Version : Free Mombassa Roof top tent

lfd270ben
05-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes free first gen roof top tent. There is a catch though :rolleyes: during that massive wind storm last week I was driving down 93 and it broke its mounting hardware and came off at highway speeds:eek:. Good for some parts the fabric and ladder are good. I am keeping the mattress though. Come get it all or nothing.

74fj40
05-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Definitely interested. do you know if you can source parts seperately?

MDH33
05-09-2010, 12:45 PM
..There is a catch though :rolleyes: during that massive wind storm last week I was driving down 93 and it broke its mounting hardware and came off at highway speeds:eek:.

Wow, that's crazy. :eek: What kind of damage to the tent, or your rig?

hyperboarder
05-09-2010, 01:59 PM
How's the frame, bent? Still usable at all?

lfd270ben
05-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Sold for nothing to Max's dad!!! that disappeared way faster then I though it would.

lfd270ben
05-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Does any one have a hook up on the newer version Mombasa RTT?

Chris
05-09-2010, 02:20 PM
it broke its mounting hardware and came off at highway speeds

Wow, that sucks but now has me worried, what is the standard mounting? I have no idea what's been done to mine before I got it and want to make sure your experience isn't duplicated.

lfd270ben
05-09-2010, 09:19 PM
It was mounted with 4 x 1/4" bolts. It happened on Tuesday I was on 128 headed towards 93 and I was traveling about 65mph so with the wind speed the tent was fighting the better part of a constant 140 + mph winds. My friend was following and he said the cover tore then billowed out acting like a parachute next thing he knew one corner lifted a little then the whole thing came off and tumbled down the shoulder. Guess I should have spent the extra $4 on grade 8 hardware. I must say though my Gamiviti roof rack didn't even budge.

cbmontgo
05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
It was mounted with 4 x 1/4" bolts. It happened on Tuesday I was on 128 headed towards 93 and I was traveling about 65mph so with the wind speed the tent was fighting the better part of a constant 140 + mph winds. My friend was following and he said the cover tore then billowed out acting like a parachute next thing he knew one corner lifted a little then the whole thing came off and tumbled down the shoulder. Guess I should have spent the extra $4 on grade 8 hardware. I must say though my Gamiviti roof rack didn't even budge.

Wow. I may need to re-mount mine as well. I've seen mine jump around a little over the years at highway speeds...grade 8 may be the way to go!

nakman
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Ben glad the rack held up! Sorry about the tent though, wow... :eek:

for a new one I would look at the Campinglab stuff http://www.campinglab.com/carpatecho02.html# probably what I'll do if/when I ever retire the cheapo Monbossa..

lfd270ben
05-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Ben glad the rack held up! Sorry about the tent though, wow... :eek:

for a new one I would look at the Campinglab stuff http://www.campinglab.com/carpatecho02.html# probably what I'll do if/when I ever retire the cheapo Monbossa..

Tim,
I was looking at the Camping Lab website and the medium size tent appears to be the same tent as the new Mombasa? I wonder who copied who first? The Camping Lab tent is $100 + cheaper. The biggest size looks awesome though I guess I need to go talk to the :Princess:

Chris
05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
campinglab.com = rooftoptent.com = mombassa?

I'm still trying to figure out what I have. It's got the rooftoptent.com label.

lfd270ben
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Well I was waiting to give the tent away and I started to look at a little closer. What I found was even after its tumble the only thing wrong was all the plastic pieces were shattered and the cover is trash. So I am remaking them all in steel. Does anyone have a extra cover by chance?

cbmontgo
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Well I was waiting to give the tent away and I started to look at a little closer. What I found was even after its tumble the only thing wrong was all the plastic pieces were shattered and the cover is trash. So I am remaking them all in steel. Does anyone have a extra cover by chance?

The covers are hard to come by. I tried to buy an extra from them a year or two ago and could not get one for the old style Mombasa.

lfd270ben
05-19-2010, 09:18 PM
The covers are hard to come by. I tried to buy an extra from them a year or two ago and could not get one for the old style Mombasa.

Thanks, Looks like I will have to piece mine together.

MDH33
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM

I need to replace the cover on my ARB tent and I was quoted $142.50 for an upgraded replacement from an ARB dealer. Not sure what the dimensions of the Mombasa are, but they look similar to the ARB. get some measurements and we can compare.

Also, once I get my new cover, you can have my old one if you want to use it to repair yours. My cover is fine, but the zipper is toast. (It would cost nearly as much to have a shop sew on a new zipper that size as it would to replace the cover and the new ARB is heavier duty.)

lfd270ben
05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I need to replace the cover on my ARB tent and I was quoted $142.50 for an upgraded replacement from an ARB dealer. Not sure what the dimensions of the Mombasa are, but they look similar to the ARB. get some measurements and we can compare.

Also, once I get my new cover, you can have my old one if you want to use it to repair yours. My cover is fine, but the zipper is toast. (It would cost nearly as much to have a shop sew on a new zipper that size as it would to replace the cover and the new ARB is heavier duty.)

Awesome just let me know when the new one comes in.
Thanks,
Ben

Chris
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
A replacement cover costs $85.

--
Regards

Fernando Lander
Owner
www.campinglab.com
fernando@campinglab.com
4960NW 165th St unit b21
Miami, FL 33014

Uncle Ben
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
A replacement cover costs $85.

--
Regards

Fernando Lander
Owner
www.campinglab.com
fernando@campinglab.com
4960NW 165th St unit b21
Miami, FL 33014

Yup....just bought one a couple months ago. Fernando (Camping Lab) is a great vendor!