PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Pass Saturday June 19

MDH33
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
-------
EDIT:

Saturday, June 19th. Meet at the trailhead along Guanella Pass Rd. at 9am. Bring trash bags, gloves, water and lunch. I'll bring some lopers and shovels from the Forest Service. We'll be touring the trails and checking the conditions out, picking up whatever trash we see and maybe trimming back some of the brush. Should be lots of time for sightseeing too. A few people will be camping along the creek Friday night.
--------

I am hoping we can get a group together at least twice this summer to run Argentine and do some clean-up work. For those of you who are new, Argentine Pass is one of our clubs adopted trails and we try to get up there a few times over the course of the year to volunteer our time, clean up the trail and campsites, cut out overgrown brush, post signs if needed, close illegal routes, and talk to any wheelers we meet. The upper section to the pass will still be snowed in, but there will be plenty to do on the lower sections.

I hope we can get a good number from Rising Sun to help out this year. Our volunteer hours last year were not that great, so we should try to step it up a notch, especially with the number of people in the club.

NOTE: I changed the meeting time to 9am. 8 might have been a little early. ;)

:thumb:

bh4rnnr
05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
In:cool:.

treerootCO
05-09-2010, 06:08 PM
In if I am off ;)

Mendocino
05-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Count me in schedule permitting. I'm supposed to come home from Egypt on the 18th and heading to Seattle on the 20th.

SRT08BUS
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I can say 4sures on this one, I'm putting in the vacation request as I type!

Old40Dog
05-09-2010, 08:48 PM
In! :)

Hulk
05-10-2010, 01:08 AM
That's the day before Father's Day. Just an F.Y.I.

MDH33
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
That's the day before Father's Day. Just an F.Y.I.

Yes it is. I really want to get up there at least once in June. The Ham field day is the following weekend, so I think this is the best date.

Heck, there's great camping along the Argentine Pass trail. I can't think of better fathers day weekend. Run Argentine Saturday, camp out and run Spring Creek on Sunday. :thumb:

subzali
05-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for setting this up Martin, this is really important for our club to be doing. And BTW folks, if you go up to Argentine at ANY TIME during the year, pick up a little trash and do a general survey of the area, and then TELL MYSELF OR MARTIN HOW MANY HOURS YOU SPENT UP THERE SO WE CAN PASS THAT ON TO BRANT AND HAVE IT RECORDED FOR OUR CLUB. As Martin said, our hours have been a little short but that's not so much because people haven't been going up there, it's more a lack of passing it on to Brant. Thanks

MDH33
05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I emailed Brant and the 19th should be fine. I'll post up a meeting time and directions soon. Anyone else able to come? The more people the better. If we have enough rigs, we can split into groups and cover more ground.

SRT08BUS
05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I might be able to grab a couple of people to help as well. I'd like to go hit a trail this week, or even that one, but I'm still waiting for my shocks to get in.

Bruiser
05-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Can anyone tell me where the good camping spots are around there? My wife and I have camping written on the calendar that weekend so I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone. Camp Friday night and help with cleanup on Saturday. Then maybe stay one more night, depending on what my Dad wants to do for fathers day. Anyone else is welcome to join to if they like the idea.

Justin

SRT08BUS
05-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Can anyone tell me where the good camping spots are around there?
Justin

I'll be checking out Geneva Creek on June 13th with FrontRange4X4, that's on the south side of Guanella Pass, I can let you know about the area and any other that we may check out that day.

MDH33
05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Can anyone tell me where the good camping spots are around there? My wife and I have camping written on the calendar that weekend so I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone. Camp Friday night and help with cleanup on Saturday. Then maybe stay one more night, depending on what my Dad wants to do for fathers day. Anyone else is welcome to join to if they like the idea.

Justin

Justin, there are excellent campsites along Leavenworth creek, which is the lower part of the loop of the Argentine Pass trail. Several of the campsites are right on the creek. As you head up the trail, just take the first main right hand trail and it starts to follow the creek and passes under some power lines. I can post a map too if needed, but they're easy to find. Hope you can make it Saturday for the cleanup run. :thumb:

MDH33
05-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Wow. Only SIX people in this club are willing to go work on our trail?? :confused:

C'mon people. It will be more wheeling and site-seeing than manual labor, I promise. ;)

MountainGoat
05-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I am willing and able. See you there! :thumb:

Bruiser
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks Martin. Our plan right now is to camp up there on Friday and then meet up with you all on Saturday morning.

Justin

bh4rnnr
05-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks Martin. Our plan right now is to camp up there on Friday and then meet up with you all on Saturday morning.

Justin

Justin, there is also a nice camp just above Waldorf as you head towards McCullen Mountain. It's right at timberline.

MDH33
05-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I am willing and able. See you there! :thumb:

Justin

Awesome! Thanks guys. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-16-2010, 11:11 AM
It looks like I'm in too! What is the scope of work this trip? I'm looking at camping and hitting Spring Creek on Sunday....just have to decide what planet killer to use. ;)

MDH33
05-16-2010, 11:20 AM
It looks like I'm in too! What is the scope of work this trip? I'm looking at camping and hitting Spring Creek on Sunday....just have to decide what planet killer to use. ;)

Great, glad you can make it. :thumb:

We'll probably split into two groups and take the high road and low road and pick up any trash we see, clean up the campsites and if we bring some lopers or saws, we can cut back some of the overgrown brush. We'll want to check out the conditions of the signage we've placed and post a new Stay the Trail poster. If time permits, we can go over to the far side of the valley across the creek and clean up and check on the illegal routes and drag some more tree trunks to block them. Matt found some illegal ATV tracks last season that he reported and blocked off, so we could check those out and see if there's anything new.

Uncle Ben
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Great, glad you can make it. :thumb:

We'll probably split into two groups and take the high road and low road and pick up any trash we see, clean up the campsites and if we bring some lopers or saws, we can cut back some of the overgrown brush. We'll want to check out the conditions of the signage we've placed and post a new Stay the Trail poster. If time permits, we can go over to the far side of the valley across the creek and clean up and check on the illegal routes and drag some more tree trunks to block them. Matt found some illegal ATV tracks last season that he reported and blocked off, so we could check those out and see if there's anything new.

Sounds great! I have all that kind of stuff....what would you like me to bring?

PhatFJ
05-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I should be able to make this. I can bring a chainsaw if needed, I also have lots of 18v LIO tools (circ saw, recip saw, drill standard and hammer) if we need for signage and such. See you there.

Brian

FJBRADY
05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I am a definite maybe and I would be happy to help out. I should know for certain in a few weeks.

MDH33
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Great! I'll talk to Brant some more about it this week and see what we can plan on and what tools we'll need.

TIMZTOY
05-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Justin

im in, anything you need me to bring ??

bruiser.. the wife and i would be up for some camping if youd like some company ....

subzali
05-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Martin, just to be clear the illegal ATV tracks are off the main road (not the powerline road and not on the other side of the valley). When you pass the Stay the Trail sign keep going for a bit and there will be a spur that takes off to the right (uphill) and heads back away from you. Follow that past a fire ring as it curves up and to your left and you will see the ATV tracks again on the uphill left hand side. If you have any questions let me know, I think this should be a high priority for this trip. I can try to get you close coordinates if needed. EDIT: nevermind, they are in this linked thread:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10742

Sorry I won't be there :(

Bruiser
05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Sounds like there might be a few folks interested in a Rising Sun camp out. Myself or someone else will post up a camping site area when more details are finalized.

im in, anything you need me to bring ??

bruiser.. the wife and i would be up for some camping if youd like some company ....

MDH33
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Martin, just to be clear the illegal ATV tracks are off the main road (not the powerline road and not on the other side of the valley). When you pass the Stay the Trail sign keep going for a bit and there will be a spur that takes off to the right (uphill) and heads back away from you. Follow that past a fire ring as it curves up and to your left and you will see the ATV tracks again on the uphill left hand side.

Sorry I won't be there :(

Awesome, thanks Matt. I hadn't read your report on that in awhile, so I forgot which side it was on.

Sorry you won't be there too. Hope you can get back up here soon. :thumb:

MDH33
05-27-2010, 09:26 AM
I just posted the meetup time in the first post of the thread. I may end up camping Friday night now as well. We'll be meeting at the trailhead Saturday morning at 8am. I'll have my Ham on Friday night if anyone else is planning on camping out. I'll try to get the big campsite along the creek.

FJBRADY
06-02-2010, 02:33 PM
I am in for this, but I will be about an hour late.

MDH33
06-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I am in for this, but I will be about an hour late.

Awesome, no worries about getting there late. You'll be able to find us on the trail. If you have HAM or CB, just call when you get there and I'll let you know where the groups are.

nuclearlemon
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm in...wouldn't mind camping either.

MDH33
06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Glad you can make it Ige. :beer:

cajunrock
06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I am at the fire station the day before and will be late getting there. what CB channel will you be on?
Thanks for the warm welcome at last nights meeting/drinking social-ing

Old40Dog
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I just posted the meetup time in the first post of the thread. I may end up camping Friday night now as well. We'll be meeting at the trailhead Saturday morning at 8am. I'll have my Ham on Friday night if anyone else is planning on camping out. I'll try to get the big campsite along the creek.

I'll be camping Friday and Saturday night so I can catch Spring Creek on the way home Sunday! :campfire:

Bruiser
06-05-2010, 08:35 AM

Matt, where is this big campsite along the creek. My wife and I are a 95% for going camping and I will probably even leave earlier in the afternoon to get up there. Sounds like we have at least 4 or 5 groups in for camping so I want to be sure the grab the right spot.

Justin

cajunrock
06-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Is it OK to bring my dog on the clean up run?

MDH33
06-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Matt, where is this big campsite along the creek. ...

no way... did you really just call me MATT?? :gaah:

corsair23
06-06-2010, 12:12 AM

LOL - The new name is starting to stick :lmao:

subzali
06-06-2010, 08:32 AM
lol Bruiser, that's Martin, I'm Matt (one of them) :D

It's really not as bad as you think Martin...:p:

Bruiser I'm not 100% sure but the big campsite Martin mentioned is on the Argentine Pass trail. Once you turn off the Guanella Pass Road you go up a 1/4 or 1/2 mile and there will be a culvert and a place where the creek crosses the trail. The campsite is very near that location, maybe slightly above the culvert.

Bruiser
06-06-2010, 09:14 AM

Huh, I guess I did. :bowdown: I must have been :beer:

Bruiser
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
It's really not as bad as you think Martin...:p:

I wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so tragic that it keeps happening.

MATT, thanks for the info on the where the camp site is. When it gets closer I will post up my estimated departure time so if anyone wants to head out early we can meet up and caravan it. Right now I am thinking sometime around 1pm or so.

MARTIN , ummmmm, just wanted to say your name for practice. :cheers:

Justin

MDH33
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm going to recon the lower trail tomorrow, so I'll get some good directions and distances posted. I recall that the campsite that can accommodate a larger group is along the creek after you pass under the power lines and before you start the climb to the upper trail.

Old40Dog
06-06-2010, 11:05 PM
MATT, thanks for the info on the where the camp site is. When it gets closer I will post up my estimated departure time so if anyone wants to head out early we can meet up and caravan it. Right now I am thinking sometime around 1pm or so.

MARTIN , ummmmm, just wanted to say your name for practice. :cheers:

Justin

Justin, Should be able to meet up with you at El Rancho on Friday afternoon so keep me in the loop. I'm also planning to camp up there on Saturday night so I can do the Father's Day run at Spring Creek Sunday on the way back home. Any others thinking of the same plan?

Jacket
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM

It's time to accept your fate. Just make it easier on everyone and change your name. :beer:

I like the idea of camping Friday and working on Saturday, so I'm hoping to join. Spring Creek on Sunday doesn't look like it'll work for me now, so Argentine will be my fathers day present to myself.

nakman
06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I like the idea of camping Friday and working on Saturday, so I'm hoping to join. Spring Creek on Sunday doesn't look like it'll work for me now, so Argentine will be my fathers day present to myself.

I'm thinking along those same lines as well. :thumb: :beer2:

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 03:41 AM

I'm thinking along those same lines as well. :thumb: :beer2:

Right now that looks like the least complicated option for me and Megan (Daughter #3) too!

Hudo4
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Camping AND then manual labor?? One of my favorites. I'm in. Just let me know when we're camping and where. :D

FJBRADY
06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Martin, what should we bring with us? Shovel?

Also anywhere to park a trailer before the trail head?

MDH33
06-08-2010, 03:35 PM
I am at the fire station the day before and will be late getting there. what CB channel will you be on?

CB 4 and HAM 146.460.

Is it OK to bring my dog on the clean up run?

Ok if they are in your rig or on a leash please.

Hey Martin, what should we bring with us? Shovel?

Also anywhere to park a trailer before the trail head?

Bring gloves, good footwear, water, sunscreen, lunch. I should be able to get any tools we need from the forest service. This is the first run of the season for us up there, so we don't have any tasks scheduled. The plan is to drive the entire trail system (that's not snowed in) and check out the condition of the trail with some light maintenance as needed such as blocking illegal user created routes (atv's), clean up sites, trim back brush, repair signs, etc. If we determine there is a big project to do, like repair trail, we'll schedule that with the FS for later.

There is usually room to park a trailer at the trailhead. I've seen atv trailers there and just below on the road many times.

So far here's the count (I put "maybe" next to your name if you were tentative in your post):

Martin
Perry
Mike D. - maybe
Jeff H. - maybe
Brandon
Dave
Justin +1
Dan
Brian - maybe
Steve B.
Tim +1
Ige
cajunrock (name?)
Matt - maybe
Tim N.
Brent H.

Those interested in camping:

Martin - camping
Dave - camping
Justin - camping
Brandon - camping
Tim - camping
Ige - camping
Matt - camping
Tim N. - camping
Brent H. - camping

We might need to split into groups for camping since the spot I was thinking of can only accommodate about 4-5 rigs, but there are plenty of sites scattered around up there.

Uncle Ben
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Gonna have to put a maybe next to my name. :( Seems mom is helping with fathers day plans :rant:

MDH33
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Gonna have to put a maybe next to my name. :( Seems mom is helping with fathers day plans :rant:

Hope you can still make it for the run even if you can't camp out too. :beer:

subzali
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I like your new sig line Martin...:D lol

nakman
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Camping AND then manual labor?? One of my favorites. I'm in. Just let me know when we're camping and where. :D

Brent let's hook up after work on Friday and drive up together.. I'll go load the fridge at lunch so I should be able to hit the road right around 5 :D

MDH33
06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I should be getting up there around 6-6:30 Friday evening. So whoever gets up there first, try to grab the sites along the creek if possible. :thumb:

Hudo4
06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a plan Tim. Meet at my place at say a little after 5? I'll have all my gear ready to go. Can't wait. I take it Gavin's coming also?

nakman
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Gavin's got T-ball now on Saturdays, and he didn't want to miss it so he's skipping camping. Tough call for him since he knew you & Martin were going..

anyway Martin we'll try to get up there at about that same time, I'll give you a call on that fancy radio thingy..

Uncle Ben
06-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Martin, it is with a frown I have to bail on the who weekend I had planned. If you need tools or anything let me know and I'll get them to someone.

Have fun!

bh4rnnr
06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Martin, it is with a frown I have to bail on the who weekend I had planned. If you need tools or anything let me know and I'll get them to someone.

Have fun!

Bummer man, was looking forward to catching up with ya, next time.

Uncle Ben
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Bummer man, was looking forward to catching up with ya, next time.

I being forced to having fun with the wife to on a mini expedition in the 80. :rolleyes: :bowdown::Princess:

bh4rnnr
06-13-2010, 08:19 PM
I being forced to having fun with the wife to on a mini expedition in the 80. :rolleyes: :bowdown::Princess:

The parking lots in Park Meadows suck! Better turn on both lockers!

Uncle Ben
06-13-2010, 08:29 PM
The parking lots in Park Meadows suck! Better turn on both lockers!

Actually been working on the RTT/awnings/pantry/galley/bathroom-shower/fish hunting mall wheeler all weekend. I have to make this smooth and fun or it will be a miserable trip for us all and then it will be back to solo trips for me soooooooo.....Park Meadows will be an adventure fo sho! :bowdown::Princess::Princess: :thumb::thumb:

SRT08BUS
06-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Just myself but might be up to some camping.

Bruiser
06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Looks like you can get pretty close to the top. Although, these guys look to have gotten in some fairly hairy situations along the way.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=169104

Justin

MDH33
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Looks like you can get pretty close to the top. Although, these guys look to have gotten in some fairly hairy situations along the way.

Justin

I saw that. Pretty stupid to be driving those shelf roads in a snowstorm like it was last weekend. :rolleyes:

With the warm temps this week it should melt some of that and we might be able to get higher than we normally do this time of year. Should be fun. :thumb:

Old40Dog
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Justin

Guess I'll take a jacket! :eek:

bh4rnnr
06-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Still planning on making this trip. Will be there just for the day.

Jacket
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm out for camping - the Mrs made other plans for us....

But I'll be up on Saturday morning.

nakman
06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

wesintl
06-17-2010, 09:48 AM
thinking about brining the fam and trying to get a camping spot right at the beginning of the trail. be nice to camp this weekend. what's the chances of getting one of those spots at 5-6 tomorrow?

Old40Dog
06-17-2010, 12:39 PM
thinking about brining the fam and trying to get a camping spot right at the beginning of the trail. be nice to camp this weekend. what's the chances of getting one of those spots at 5-6 tomorrow?

Hey Wes, that'll be great! Bruiser & I are going to arrive up there around 3:30 and will do what we can to secure a number of sites for those plannning to camp. Is anybody planning to be up there any sooner on Friday ?

MDH33
06-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Updated count:

Martin
Perry
Mike D. - maybe
Jeff H. - maybe
Brandon
Dave
Justin +1
Dan
Brian - maybe
Steve B. +1
Tim +1
Ige
cajunrock (name?)
Matt
Tim N.
Brent H.
Wes

Those interested in camping:

Dave - camping
Justin - camping
Brandon - camping
Tim - camping
Ige - camping
Wes - camping
Tim N. - camping
Brent H. - camping

The best camping spots are along the lower trail by the creek. I can think of at least 3 really good ones. There are others near the start of the trail and a couple up higher near Waldorf. Hard to say what we'll find available though.

FJBRADY
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
In case you need an official count add Michele, she is the shorty driving the fourty on Sat......holla!

Gator1
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I am a new guy who came to the meeting June 2. thanks for the first aid kit, let's hope I don't need it anytime soon.

I am planning on heading out on Friday night, spending the night and following all you yahoos up the pass Saturday morning, chipping in on whatever maintenance I can do.

Bringing my girlfriend and dog.

Just a head's up, didn't see it anywhere but guanella pass is closed halfway through due to a rockslide. It shouldn'e affect access to Argentine/McClellan mt. But if anyone is planning to use Guanella to get anywhere else... no go.

Also, A lot of construction at the beginning of guanella pass road heading out of Georgetown, intermittent closures like 9am-11am and 1pm-3pm.

Doug Z

Chris
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Just noticed this and echo Gator1. We ran into the same issues running Geneva Creek last weekend. Not as big an issue for that but adds a long drive for Argentine.

Guanella Pass Road remains closed adjacent to the Cabin Creek Hydroelectric Plant. The summit cannot be accessed from Georgetown. If you need further information, please leave a message on the Road & Bridge line at 303-679-2334, Road Concerns, and someone will call you back. You may also check the Guanella Pass Road Information line at 303-569-3251, ext 2, and the County website at www.co.clear-creek.co.us for updates.

The I70 side is closed only open to the folks that live there and twice a day for them.

MDH33
06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
The Argentine trailhead is below where the closure is, so unless people are driving from the 285 side, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

So cn you make it Chris? :)

Chris
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks Martin, I guess my memory's letting me down again. I thought Argentine was after the hydro plant. Argentine is one of Barb's favorite trails and she's been asking if it's open so we may be able to make it Saturday knowing it's accessible. No camping for me though since Father's Day is Sunday.

Old40Dog
06-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Wes, that'll be great! Bruiser & I are going to arrive up there around 3:30 and will do what we can to secure a number of sites for those plannning to camp. Is anybody planning to be up there any sooner on Friday ?

The best camping spots are along the lower trail by the creek. I can think of at least 3 really good ones. There are others near the start of the trail and a couple up higher near Waldorf. Hard to say what we'll find available though. I'll be arriving up there around 6:30. Keep your radios on. :)

Martin, We'll try to hold on to enough spots for 9-10 rigs then. 10-4....:lmao:

MDH33
06-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm out for camping Friday. Can't make it happen with the :Princess::Princess:'s and working 2 jobs. :(

I'll see you all Saturday at the trailhead. 9am.

nuclearlemon
06-18-2010, 08:45 AM
\

Ok if they are in your rig or on a leash please.

:

count me out then. i'll find someplace where my dogs are welcome.

Bruiser
06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Dave and I are up here. Second camping spot past the creek. We also parked Dave's truck at the next spot up in case we need more space.

SRT08BUS
06-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm gonna be a no show for camping but will be there in the morning.

nakman
06-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Guys drive up that road by the creek, just after the adopt a road sign stay straight instead of taking the switchback- we're about 8 minutes up the road, along the creek. :beer: