PDA

View Full Version : Did routine maintenance bring the stink?

Rezarf
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
So I am doing a bit of summer pre-season mainenance and I was swapping out my spark plugs, #1-5 slip right out, #6 plug is nearly stuck. I took my time and had to use a cheater bar :eek: to get it out!

It came out fine, the threads look fine, nothing looks boogered up at all.

Why do you think it got stuck in there so hard? Perhaps I forgot anti-sieze? Anyway, anything to look for before slapping a new plug back in?

Thanks in advance-

Drew

PS. I couldn't stop thinking of all the work Isaac just did so I turned the plug about a 1/2 turn at a time, then let it chill and dissapate any heat building up. Then another 1/2 turn... repeat. Man, there are a lot of threads ;)

Uncle Ben
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
How does the electrode look? I ask as if it's pinging it will flare the end of the plug making it a be-atch to screw out.

Rezarf
05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
That could be it. The new one went in just fine... so looks like I am good to go!

I have a bit of soot and a bit of oil... just about right for an old 2f! :D

TIMZTOY
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Make sure you set the gap first !! Just about all plugs now are Pre gaped. Lol but not to the gap You need. Lol.

DaveInDenver
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Pretty normal to have the bottom couple of threads of a spark plug get fouled, particularly in an old engine that needs to be tuned up. Just was just carbon and what-not probably.

Rezarf
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
UB, I just checked the threads, there appears to be no expansion. This one was wierd! Glad it is all back together. Carb tuned, new air filter, and new plugs... darn near runs like a top. ;)

AxleIke
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Yikes! Glad that went okay!