PDA

View Full Version : Ride The Rockies 2010 June 12th - 20th

rover67
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I thought I should post this up and see if anybody else here is doing Ride The Rockies this year. I will not be doing it, but I will be following Allison in the 60 as she does it. I'll have both dogs and everything else with me in the truck.

I will be driving ahead each day and finding a camp spot along the way somewhere for us to stay each night. While she's riding I'll be wheeling whatever local trails I am around, fishing, and mountain biking.

Anyone is welcome to join me for the week or any part of it. Plans are flexible for each day, all I have to do is drop her off at the starts and pick her up at the finishes.

First few days will be in the Fruita/Grand Junction area (MTB), then we'll be migrating down towards Durango/Ouray (Wheeling).

http://www.ridetherockies.com/

Lemme know!

Hulk
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Very cool. Karie and I did RTR back in 1998. I've always wanted to do it again.

rover67
05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
See if you can get time off Dave, I'll setup camp each night and have food waiting :)

Matt, that's awesome that you guys did it, it was probably fun to do it together!

Corbet
05-18-2010, 08:18 PM
see you for your Durango stop ;)

RicardoJM
05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Ride The Rockies is something I've sadly never done and which I have always wanted. It's a matter of getting a solid week off from work and there just never seems to be enough time. I'd also have to get a road bike of some sort, money, money.

You should go for it. I did this a few years ago with my fishing buddy John. John was in his early 60s and has led a more active life than most folks. He had done RTR a few times and used to run marathons. I really enjoyed the experience even though it was physically brutal for me. :D

Regarding the bike, ride what you have - it will work just fine. If you feel you must get a new bike, hit up the garage sales. John did the ride in a $15 garage sale 21 speed mountain bike with big knobby tires. His shifter for the front dérailleur developed a problem on day 2 - leaving him with the middle seven speeds. The RTR support crew could not round up shifter parts that would work; as no one rides 21 speeds any more. By the last day, John had figured out how to use a pump clamp to tension the cable so that he could use each of the front rings. So at the bottom of a climb he would put it on the small front ring and at the top he would stop and put it on the big ring.

My youngest son rides a 70s/80s vintage Miyata 710 12 speed that I picked up at a garage sale for $8. 27" rims, shifters on the down tubes, heavy steel frame and bright red. He has no problem hopping on the bike a heading out for a 30 mile ride when the mood hits him. Sure, he'd like a new, lighter bike but for now this one works just fine.

Bikes are much easier to work on than FJ40s and an older (quality) bike will get you where you need to go - just keep pedaling.:thumb: