PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek Sunday May 23rd anyone?

Air Randy
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Were thinking about doing a run up to Spring Creek this Sunday, it's supposed to be sunny & 80 degrees. Anyone interested?

Nay
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
SC is often snowbound at the level of the rock garden at this time of year - any confirmation that the trail is passable to the top?

Air Randy
05-19-2010, 06:19 PM
No, I haven't heard from anyone who has been up there recently or read any trail reports. But were getting close enough to Memorial Day weekend I thought it was time for someone to give it a go.

RedCreeper
05-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Randy,
Depending on where and when i may be up for something on Memorial weekend. Will need to test out the toy somewhere if you dont do this one. Hope to have it back together tuesday or so.

Nay
05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
No, I haven't heard from anyone who has been up there recently or read any trail reports. But were getting close enough to Memorial Day weekend I thought it was time for someone to give it a go.

Bravery for sure. Nothing like a cabin fever driven crowd on SC when everybody has to turn around after bashing on the switchbacks below the garden.

Let me know if you get confirmation that it is clear...

FJBRADY
05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Were thinking about doing a run up to Spring Creek this Sunday, it's supposed to be sunny & 80 degrees. Anyone interested?

Very very tempting. Are you still planning this and what time on Sunday?

Air Randy
05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Very very tempting. Are you still planning this and what time on Sunday?

Probably the usual, meet at the ski rental place parking lot next to Burger King around 9 AM, leave for the trail head around 9:30.

Dee came up with this wheeling trip after you and I talked about fixing your spring hanger. If you want to wheel Sunday too lets plan on that, and have you come over on Saturday instead for us to get your rig fixed up.

FJBRADY
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Probably the usual, meet at the ski rental place parking lot next to Burger King around 9 AM, leave for the trail head around 9:30.

Dee came up with this wheeling trip after you and I talked about fixing your spring hanger. If you want to wheel Sunday too lets plan on that, and have you come over on Saturday instead for us to get your rig fixed up.

Good deal no turning back now. :thumb:

Old40Dog
05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Considering it. :confused:

No current report on traildamage.com. But does indicate that its a good early or late trail choice. Elevation 8,000-11,000ft.

Very little snow in Mt Evans area beginning at 9,000 ft except for the real shady areas.

Air Randy
05-20-2010, 12:41 PM
I think it's worth a shot. I have to think unless it's totally impassable that others have already been up there by now busting through it. Of course, I have been wrong before........more than once actually.......actually quite a bit:D

Uncle Ben
05-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I think it's worth a shot. I have to think unless it's totally impassable that others have already been up there by now busting through it. Of course, I have been wrong before........more than once actually.......actually quite a bit:D

Run it! Snow just makes it a different challenge. Nay's just worried that there will be too much sun flair on the lens for good poser shots! :eek: :p::hill:

Air Randy
05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: UB, you should come too so we have an old salt like yourself to keep us out of trouble

There is a guy from CO4x4 that is supposed to go up there today. If he does I've asked that he post up the conditions.

There was a report from a group that went up May 2nd. They started late in the day and only went part way since it started snowing, but they didn't get turned back by snow on the ground.

Here is one picture from the first obstacle which was way dry then.

Uncle Ben
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: UB, you should come too so we have an old salt like yourself to keep us out of trouble

There is a guy from CO4x4 that is supposed to go up there today. If he does I've asked that he post up the conditions.

There was a report from a group that went up May 2nd. They started late in the day and only went part way since it started snowing, but they didn't get turned back by snow on the ground.

Here is one picture from the first obstacle which was way dry then.

I considered it but Sat we gave grad parties to go to and Sunday I only have 1/2 the day to get yard work done before a close friend from SD shows up and we get lazy, laugh and drink beer to the wee morning hours. Man do I need this.....way too grumpy and stressed out lately! Have fun and I am always available for a rescue mission! ;)

Red_Chili
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
If only it were Saturday instead!

Rzeppa
05-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Good luck and let us know what you find. The reason I have always chosen Father's Day for our annual Spring Creek run is that is normally about when the trail becomes passable at the higher elevations. With this year's cold and wet spring, I would expect deep drifts up high, as I have seen every time I try to run that trail before Father's day. The foot of snow that accumulated last Friday is probably mostly still there. OTOH a fair amount of it may melt after this weekend's warm forecast. You never know for sure.

I'll be posting up my announcement of our annual Father's Day Spring Creek run shortly. This will be the 11th annual!

Nay
05-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Run it! Snow just makes it a different challenge. Nay's just worried that there will be too much sun flair on the lens for good poser shots! :eek: :p::hill:

I know, I know. I'm tempted to go and pose and follow in the path of those who surely should go before me :hill:

Uncle Ben
05-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I know, I know. I'm tempted to go and pose and follow in the path of those who surely should go before me :hill:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::thumb::thumb:

Old40Dog
05-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Good luck and let us know what you find. The reason I have always chosen Father's Day for our annual Spring Creek run is that is normally about when the trail becomes passable at the higher elevations. With this year's cold and wet spring, I would expect deep drifts up high, as I have seen every time I try to run that trail before Father's day. The foot of snow that accumulated last Friday is probably mostly still there. OTOH a fair amount of it may melt after this weekend's warm forecast. You never know for sure.

I'll be posting up my announcement of our annual Father's Day Spring Creek run shortly. This will be the 11th annual!

I'll plan on bringing the tire chains for my 35's I got from subzali a few months ago...need to check them out anyway....you guys may want to bring 'em too....just in case..:D

This is sounding like more and more fun with every post :eek:

Dr. Schlegs
05-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I would consider going need to fix something first. I will talk to Steve and Randy later today.

FJBRADY
05-21-2010, 08:19 AM
....you guys may want to bring 'em too....just in case..:D

Nope V8 throttle and Super Swampers get me through the white stuff and the brown stuff for that matter. :hill:

Dave this is a fun trail....it will keep you on your toes. The first obstical is optional and the rock garden does have a bypass if you need it, but after wheeling with you in Moab you won't need it.

FJBRADY
05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
I would consider going need to fix something first. I will talk to Steve and Randy later today.

What you talking about Willis? I mean what do you need to get fixed?

Uncle Ben
05-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I'll plan on bringing the tire chains for my 35's I got from subzali a few months ago...need to check them out anyway....you guys may want to bring 'em too....just in case..:D

This is sounding like more and more fun with every post :eek:

*(edited) My chain comment modified and suppressed....

Nay
05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
NDave this is a fun trail....it will keep you on your toes. The first obstical is optional and the rock garden does have a bypass if you need it, but after wheeling with you in Moab you won't need it.

Yea, I know :D

I don't like the Rock Garden bypass, it's more fun to beach the whale on the worst lines if historical behavior holds :hill:

SRT08BUS
05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I might be in for it if I don't have to work. If I do I'll try to take Cascade Creek when I get off and see if I can reach you guys at the top on the CB.

Air Randy
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I might be in for it if I don't have to work. If I do I'll try to take Cascade Creek when I get off and see if I can reach you guys at the top on the CB.

I will also have my ham radio on 146.460

Nay
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Looks like you have a shot at getting to the top of the rock garden if you keep working at it tomorrow. I'm gonna give it a few weeks, too much to do tomorrow for a "sink the 80" run :D

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=167987

JadeRunner
05-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow, there's still a lot of snow up high on the trail. Looks like a winch fest. I can't go myself, but have fun.

Air Randy
05-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah, that doesn't look like too much fun. I think were going to cancel Spring Creek and run Chinaman's Gulch instead.