PDA

View Full Version : Picketwire Canyon

Beachboy
05-19-2010, 11:52 AM
This is a different kind of off-roading trip. I have made reservations to off-road to Picketwire Canyon on October 9th to see the largest dinosaur trackway in the US. This is the area south of La Junta that the army is trying to expand their base, which would shut down the canyon. The forest Service offers an all day 4 wheel drive tours to the canyon every Saturday in May/June and Sept/Oct. Otherwise you hike either 5-8 miles each way to see the tracks and rock art. I doubt the off roading will be very hard, but if anybody is interested I would love to have company. They only allow 40 people per trip and you must make reservations. I will be staying at the KOA in La Junta during this time.

Old40Dog
05-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I think this is the one we did on a bicycle several years back. The fossils are WONDERFUL.

However, we camped near the top of the canyon and then had to walk the bikes down into the canyon as it was to steepto ride. Any chance you still camp close by? Its quite a hike into La Junta.

October would be great! We'll keep watching.

Lars
05-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I did this last spring. The wheelen is not hard at all. Did it in a stock 4runner The trip is really cool. Would highly recoment it.

wesintl
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
sounds interesting. definite maybe