PDA

View Full Version : 80 series rear cross member

Jacket
05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I've followed enough 80's on the trail to notice that even with an aftermarket bumper, the butt on those rigs drags over a lot of rocks. I assume this is largely because the rear cross member extends several inches beyond the body, and thus you cannot tuck a rear bumper nicely below the body and gain valuable departure clearance without cutting the frame.

So I guess my question is whether this is a common modification (cutting the frame), or why someone wouldn't do it? I spend 0 time in the 80 section on Mud, so don't hold it against me if this is a newb question.....

FJBRADY
05-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I've followed enough 80's on the trail to notice that even with an aftermarket bumper, the butt on those rigs drags over a lot of rocks. I assume this is largely because the rear cross member extends several inches beyond the body, and thus you cannot tuck a rear bumper nicely below the body and gain valuable departure clearance without cutting the frame.

So I guess my question is whether this is a common modification (cutting the frame), or why someone wouldn't do it? I spend 0 time in the 80 section on Mud, so don't hold it against me if this is a newb question.....

You getting an 80?

nuclearlemon
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
makes mounting a spare tire carrier difficult. mine was cut off at the tailgate when i got it. i have a bumper now that will handle being drug, so i don't care.

powderpig
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I really do not think a couple of inches makes that much difference. :rolleyes: To make a good difference, you would really need to bob the back end and loose about 16 inches of the rear. It a wagon, it has overhang. Put some metal on it and drag it.:D

nakman
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah it's a pretty common mod- the 4x4labs bumper requires it, for example, among others, see http://www.4x4labs.com/products/rear-bumpers/ The easy argument is the new beefy bumper is way stronger than that cross member was... so cutting it shouldn't involve much heartache.

But I would side with :robbie: here, I have less lift than him and smaller tires, and still don't think the overhang is that bad for how I use the truck and heck I've got the worst production aftermarket bumper available in terms of departure angle (Kaymar). Ok, second worse, the ARB one would be #1.

But still, a little butt drag hasn't seemed to slow me down much, and I've eloquently dragged it across several rocks in Colorado, Utah, and California.. so like a lot of possible mods out there this one probably isn't for me. :)

Jacket
05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
I looked at picture earlier of a rear bumper scrape, and it struck a memory of watching Neil throughout Devils Racetrack. Just thought I'd ask...no disrespect to the 80 owners :)

Bikeman
05-21-2010, 07:28 PM
It is one of the best mods I have done, that is, cutting 3.5" off my frame and making a new crossmember out of rectangle stock and having tube bent around it.

I have a better departure angle than an 80 with a swingout with 8" lift and 40's:D.

Nay, care to chime in?

Convert
05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I took 4 inches out of the frame and added a cross member when I built my rear bumper and it does drag less IMHO

LARGEONE
05-22-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm a dragger as well!!! My spare tire is mounted so low that it actually hits before my bumper does...not a good thing as it torques the swing-away when it drags. It's on my list of summer projects and is THE reason I bought my welder!!! No plans to chop the cross-member at this point.

farnhamstj
05-22-2010, 07:43 PM
While mine is not an 80. 100 frame is pretty much the same. Rear cross member and 2" were cut of the back of my 100. Does a couple inches make that much a difference? When the only offering of a lift is 2.5" you bet. It surprises me more people don't do it. For me it was about still being able to use 2" receiver and have a reasonable departure angle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMM8ckE5sCQ

Corbet
05-22-2010, 07:58 PM
All you 80 owners with lifts and aftermarket bumpers complaining about dragging your butts:rolleyes: