PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Annual Triple Bypass -Aug 14-

wesintl
05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
This is my fav area of colorado. I will carry this on. If it's the same usual suspects i have some ideas on something new. If people are set on Italian, Pearl, Taylor we can do that too. I'd hate to see this run disappear.

Thank you Bruce and Barbara for leading all these years.

Camping planned for Dorchester in taylor park.

Sunday there is a possibility of schofield, lead king, paradise divide.

Map of planned route:
http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=104058938114739330032.00048da66346880d59dbf&ll=38.962012,-106.680765&spn=0.04952,0.077162&z=14&iwloc=00048da66780d45b07caa

Old40Dog
05-21-2010, 10:06 PM
This is my fav area of colorado. I will carry this on. If it's the same usual suspects i have some ideas on something new. If people are set on Italian, Pearl, Taylor we can do that too. I'd hate to see this run disappear.

Thank you Bruce and Barbara for leading all these years.

Thanks Wes! And thanks to Bruce and Barb!!! We'll plan to be there!

Romer
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Rachel and I may join the party. This will be our first time. Always seem to miss it

Assuming there will be a central place for our campers

Convert
06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Wes
I like that area also might be up for it this year, been a couple of years since I made this run.

ttubb
06-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Well, Wes, you know I am in. Great fun last year!
Thanks to Bruce and Barb for their leadership. I hope they come again....:o

Terry

Romer
06-23-2010, 05:56 AM
I may have spoke to soon. Bonni has something planned the 14th of August

ttubb
07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Here are a few pics from last year to "entice" those that have not done this.....Terry

RockRunner
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Depending on the calendar we may make it. What area do you guys camp at? I would like to tow it up there and park the camper somewhere close. The 4Runner does not like steep highways...........

ttubb
07-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Depending on the calendar we may make it. What area do you guys camp at? I would like to tow it up there and park the camper somewhere close. The 4Runner does not like steep highways...........

Dorchester camp ground north of Taylor Res.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
We may be able to join in on this one, checking with the wife. Wes are you bringing your pop-up, is the campe site a spot we will be returning to at the end of the day?

subzali
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I've been kicking this around as a birthday gift to myself, and I'll probably be there. But I might split off after Pearl Pass to head back home, so it'll only be 2/3ds of the trip...

wesintl
08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
We may be able to join in on this one, checking with the wife. Wes are you bringing your pop-up, is the campe site a spot we will be returning to at the end of the day?

sorry, was on vacation the last week and a half.

I'm not taking my popup since the wife and kids won't be going.

If we do the regular route we'll camp at dorchester like in the past. Plenty of space for campers. Just know if you bring the little ones it's a long day. Leave at 8 and we usually don't get back til 6ish. Usually the lunch spot (ashcroft) is later in the day, sometimes 2-3pm and sometimes not much more than 20-30 min depending on time left to get back.

I have been kicking around the idea of not doing the same thing and mixing it up with a trip over tayor, then pearl, then camping up past gothic. and sunday running lead king and paradise divide. food at the teocalli tamale in cb and bust on home. that would mean different camp spots.

It depends on the attendees. If we have the same ole group we might change it up. If we have a bunch of people that haven't run the italian, pearl, taylor we'll do that.

I need a list of people that are serious about going, or are definatley going. Either way the run has awesome scenery and is a fun run.

ttubb
08-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Wes, I am planning on going, either way. Since I live close, I may not camp this year, just meet up at the start and hang around the camp fire each night for a bit. I will be running my 4Runner. Thanks for taking this on. T

Old40Dog
08-02-2010, 08:32 PM
It depends on the attendees. If we have the same ole group we might change it up. If we have a bunch of people that haven't run the italian, pearl, taylor we'll do that.

I need a list of people that are serious about going, or are definatley going. Either way the run has awesome scenery and is a fun run.

Wes, Idelle & I are in and will be down Friday night late in her 80 with a small tent. First time there, so any route you choose will be fine with us.

ttubb
08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I vote for plan B. Lead King is beautiful! T

subzali
08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm out. Took a serious look at my 40 and decided it wasn't ready to do this trip. Leaky radiator and a lot of other miscellaneous issues are going to put it off till next year. Sigh

Old40Dog
08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm out. Took a serious look at my 40 and decided it wasn't ready to do this trip. Leaky radiator and a lot of other miscellaneous issues are going to put it off till next year. Sigh

Too bad Matt :(, was looking forward to catching up with ya! I kinda made the same decision last week on my 40. Too many minor items adding up to too many :weld: potential problems on a run. Will take care of 'em in anticipation of getting it back to Moab in April '11 stronger than ever. Fortunately, picked up an 80 for Idelle a while back as a DD that we can take on this trip!

ajax
08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
just joined, my name is ryan i live in gunnison, so i will do this run with you guys, williams pass is now open too if you want something diff

FJ40zen
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi, My name is Bob and I am the VP of the Horsetooth Club in Fort Collins. Do you guys mind if I tag along that weekend? I asked the :Princess: and she is good with it, so I am ready to pack up and go if it is ok with you folks.

ttubb
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi, My name is Bob and I am the VP of the Horsetooth Club in Fort Collins. Do you guys mind if I tag along that weekend? I asked the :Princess: and she is good with it, so I am ready to pack up and go if it is ok with you folks.

You folks are always welcome! Glad to have you come along. Terry :thumb:

ttubb
08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
just joined, my name is ryan i live in gunnison, so i will do this run with you guys, williams pass is now open too if you want something diff

Welcome Ryan. I am in Crested Butte so we will have to hook up. Terry

ajax
08-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Welcome Ryan. I am in Crested Butte so we will have to hook up. Terry

yea def, what kind of truck do you have ive been here for 10 years so surely ive seen ya, want to do williams this weekend

ttubb
08-03-2010, 03:05 PM
yea def, what kind of truck do you have ive been here for 10 years so surely ive seen ya, want to do williams this weekend

See my signature for the vehicles I have now. I used to have a 95 FZJ-80, maroon with a white top. My son has it now in Ark. Most of us put our rigs and mods in our sig line.
Can't wheel this weekend due to prior plans. Thanks though. Terry

Here are some pics of my 40

Sorry about the hijack, Wes. :hill:

ajax
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
See my signature for the vehicles I have now. I used to have a 95 FZJ-80, maroon with a white top. My son has it now in Ark. Most of us put our rigs and mods in our sig line.
Can't wheel this weekend due to prior plans. Thanks though. Terry

Here are some pics of my 40

Sorry about the hijack, Wes. :hill:

yup seen up both, very nice and clean 40

ajax
08-03-2010, 06:03 PM
lotus creek rd has a nice rock obstacle then scenic after that, goes to slaughterhouse gulch then to cumberland, stock cant get through the obstacle i dont think, also tellurium is the road before taylor, never drove it but typical rocky rough road above timber line, and there is another road near the top of taylor pass, called taylor divide takes you to star mountain and some mines, use to connect with east brush creek just thrown out other options, i dont care

FJ40zen
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I work on the west end of Lakewood and was planning on leaving at noon Friday from there. Would I get to Dorchester about 6pm?

wesintl
08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
probably more like 3 -3:30. it's only 2 to BV and maybe an hour over cottonwood pass.

FJ40zen
08-04-2010, 11:35 AM
probably more like 3 -3:30. it's only 2 to BV and maybe an hour over cottonwood pass.

Maybe that may not be a bad thing. Are other RS folks going to be there around that time? If not, I could probably loaf around and get down there later. :D

wesintl
08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
depends when I can bolt work

camping is here: right on the corner of 2nd left off co742 where you can see the turnaround and down along that rd on the right are spots.
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=dorchester+campground&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dorchester+campground&hnear=dorchester+campground&cid=0,0,15098060692599519336&ei=qe1aTL3dNcL_nQeR96HqAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQnwIwAw

go over cottonwood pass - make a right at the bottom near the lake where it T's and go down that road something like 5-7 miles. it's just off the road on the left.

FJ40zen
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks Wes, I ran google earth and feel like I was there. :hill: Should be no problem to find.

DanS
08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm in. I'll be bringing the faux-lux. Not sure yet if I'll just leave Idaho Springs real early, or try to camp on Friday night (I don't get back to DEN until 8:25 Friday night), but I'm planning on the run either way...

If I have to catch up, What should my 2M be monitoring? Colorado Connection?

Dan

ttubb
08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Wes, I may have a couple of local guys come along if that is OK. One has a highly moded FJ Cruiser and the other a Jeep (but he drive a 100 series LC). Terry

wesintl
08-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Sounds good Terry.

Dan, We will use simplex 146.460 and if for some reason that is in use we'll use 146.580. It's difficult to get repeater down in the valley north of taylor lake from what I remember.

I've heard some people want to run lead king and I haven't heard anyone definite with a camper so we'll go with the change up plan. NOTE: 2 different camp spots

-Fri night camp dorchester.
-Taylor pass to Ashcroft
-pearl pass to CB
-Sat Camp schofield, maybe check out the bells with a short hike @ the top of schofield
-lead king
- check out crystal mill
-paradise divide
-burrito teocalli tamali in CB

Attending:
Terry - runner -FJ - jeep
old40dog - 80
ajax
fj40zen - 40
Dan - diesel mini

I'll be in my BJ70

ajax
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
i ll be coming from gunny sat morning what time do you want me to meet youj guys, and may have a friend coming with his jeep

FJ40zen
08-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Are you all using cb ch4 otherwise? :D

wesintl
08-07-2010, 11:04 PM
ajax - 8am the train leaves dorchester.

ah CB 4, yes. If i can remember i'll put my cb in the 70.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I have 2 hand held CBs you can borrow, if you run out of time to install CB in your 70.

Let me know if you need them.

I really wanted to do this run but it is going to be tough to sell it after a long RS weekend.

But I am trying....Selling the camping and Crested Butte aspect..

wesintl
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Chris, with the change in route it should not be a long day for the kids. You could probably veer off and take them into town to the playground etc.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Do you have any pics of the camp site? got it..

Might put the RTT on if the routes are not super technical..

Wes are your kids coming? Figure that out too

I'm not sure it would be cool to be the only ones with kids..

ttubb
08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you have any pics of the camp site? got it..

Might put the RTT on if the routes are not super technical..

Wes are your kids coming? Figure that out too

I'm not sure it would be cool to be the only ones with kids..

It would be great to have you AND your kids come along! TT

Caribou Sandstorm
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks T!

The way Melinda is talking I think we are a lock.

Just need to decide to swap the racks and toss the RTT up there or low tent it...I am thinking no RTT is going to be way easier on prep.

I have to work half day on Friday so we probably won't get to the camp site much before 5pm.

wesintl
08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
awesome Chris I'm glad you Melinda and the kids can make it.

ttubb
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Forecast looks beautiful for the weekend up here. 70 degrees and sunny. We have had a lot of rain, but this week it is clear and sunny now.
Should be a great time for camping! T

DanS
08-10-2010, 05:52 PM
OK, since I have to leave tomorrow for work, and will be leaving from work when I get back friday night (leaving DIA at roughly 8:30PM if there are any other silly late departures) I'm busy packing now.

Of course in doing this I realize that I am missing a few bits from my normal complement. Namely the tool kit (I do have my super emergency minor repair kit which never leaves the truck, but it's not good for much really), and a hi-lift. Doubt I'll have time to drive down to NM to pick up either between now and 10AM tomorrow when I leave for work....

As long as someone else has those bits, I'm allright (I'm guessing there'll be a few...). I do have my collapsible shovel and ice axe though, if anyone ever needs those. ;)

I'm looking forward to it. I guess I got lucky--I rarely get weekends off, and in this case I only have the two days off, without enough time to go back to NM to work on the 40 (which is an all-consuming project as I try to wrap it up), and sitting around Idaho Springs is good and all, but I need to wheel a little bit this summer.... Otherwise I look silly with the bumpers, antennaes and CO2 tank....

See you guys LATE friday night or 8:00AM Saturday morning!

Dan

OilHammer
08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Looking at making this one with the family. My rents are in town with the RV though, so I need to figure out where they can park and jump in the 450 with us. It's a pretty big rig....like 45' and a car trailer. Any ideas on where they should park for home base that will allow us to shuttle back and forth for them and make this run?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Looks like we are out for this one, a quick eval of what we need to accomplish over the next few weekends, sealed the deal..

The Giant apple tree in the back yard is losing major lims, as I right this one just fell outside my office..Banner year for apples and the only chance I am going to have to thin the branches before there are none left is this weekend.

We got married under this tree and I gotta save it.

Also the new Cedar shingles look like the need more stain..I have been putting this off all summer...

wesintl
08-10-2010, 10:05 PM
45' :eek:
Barry, you could bring it to Dorchester and or dinnerstation campground. It would fit. or you could go over to cb and park it at lake irwin and drive back around. Problem is we are not going home base this trip but I can give you directions back to dorchester or dinnerstation via jacks cabin cut off from CB.

Actually a good spot is to park it would be MT crested butte in the ski area parking lot. You would have to drive around back to Dorchester which would take about an hour (terry?) Then you could trail ride over taylor and pearl. we'll go past mt cb to camp up at schofield. You could join us on schofield/lead king sunday.

OilHammer
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Looks like we are out for this one, a quick eval of what we need to accomplish over the next few weekends, sealed the deal..

The Giant apple tree in the back yard is losing major lims, as I right this one just fell outside my office..Banner year for apples and the only chance I am going to have to thin the branches before there are none left is this weekend.

We got married under this tree and I gotta save it.

Also the new Cedar shingles look like the need more stain..I have been putting this off all summer...

Pfftt!!! Come on man. You have to find a better excuse than that! Your tree needs trimming and the cat needs a bath????

OilHammer
08-10-2010, 10:17 PM
45' :eek:
Barry, you could bring it to Dorchester and or dinnerstation campground. It would fit. or you could go over to cb and park it at lake irwin and drive back around. Problem is we are not going home base this trip but I can give you directions back to dorchester or dinnerstation via jacks cabin cut off from CB.

Actually a good spot is to park it would be MT crested butte in the ski area parking lot. You would have to drive around back to Dorchester which would take about an hour (terry?) Then you could trail ride over taylor and pearl. we'll go past mt cb to camp up at schofield. You could join us on schofield/lead king sunday.

Yeah, it's freaking huge. Three axles.... bit overkill, but they did travel 1500 miles to get here in it. My thought was to park it at Gunnison the first night, then shuttle back to it and move it Sat night over to CB. A lot of driving around to get there, but they are stoked to join in. I took them to Moab last year and they can't quit talking about it. Figured it was time to show them the backroads of Co.

ttubb
08-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Yeah, it's freaking huge. Three axles.... bit overkill, but they did travel 1500 miles to get here in it. My thought was to park it at Gunnison the first night, then shuttle back to it and move it Sat night over to CB. A lot of driving around to get there, but they are stoked to join in. I took them to Moab last year and they can't quit talking about it. Figured it was time to show them the backroads of Co.

I agree with Wes. I would park it up at Mt. Crested Butte ski area parking lot. That would be central to the runs. It will take 1 1/2 hours to drive from Mt. CB back to the Dorchester camping area via Jack's Cabin Cutoff.

If you come in Friday you can meet up with me and Jim Deer at the Gas Cafe (gas station/cafe just entering Crested Butte from Mt. Crested Butte on north side of town). We will DEPART at 6:30 am on Saturday so lets meet a few minutes prior to that. We will be driving over to Dorchester to meet up with the group. Red 4Runner and a black FJ Cruiser. I will be on CB Ch 4 and 2meter 146.460. Terry

Beater
08-11-2010, 06:39 AM
wes - I may be in.

anyone got teens coming or small children? my boy is probably coming and could use a distraction with all the other stuff.

DanS
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
So, change in my plans... I got out of work, and I'm flying up to Montana to drive a 60 back for my little sister, so I SHOULD be back midday Friday. Either the 60 takes a crap and I won't make it at all, or I'll be in fine shape and be to Dorchester Friday evening--decent time.

Dan

Beater
08-11-2010, 06:43 PM
so are we staying at dorchester both nights?

ttubb
08-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds good Terry.

Dan, We will use simplex 146.460 and if for some reason that is in use we'll use 146.580. It's difficult to get repeater down in the valley north of taylor lake from what I remember.

I've heard some people want to run lead king and I haven't heard anyone definite with a camper so we'll go with the change up plan. NOTE: 2 different camp spots

-Fri night camp dorchester.
-Taylor pass to Ashcroft
-pearl pass to CB
-Sat Camp schofield, maybe check out the bells with a short hike @ the top of schofield
-lead king
- check out crystal mill
-paradise divide
-burrito teocalli tamali in CB

Attending:
Terry - runner -FJ - jeep
old40dog - 80
ajax
fj40zen - 40
Dan - diesel mini

I'll be in my BJ70

so are we staying at dorchester both nights? No, see above. TT

84cruzer
08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Which direction will you run leadking? I also noticed that the book cliff cruisers will be doing the crystal city run this weekend.

http://sites.google.com/site/bookcliffcruisers/

I was thinking of running lead king crystal mill loop myself maybe sunday, might run smack into you guys might not see you at all.
:cheers:

84cruzer
08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Stop at woody's in Marble for some good eats....... espescialy like the fried green beans......... YUM!!

no affiliation, just good food.
:hill:

wesintl
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Which direction will you run leadking? I also noticed that the book cliff cruisers will be doing the crystal city run this weekend.

http://sites.google.com/site/bookcliffcruisers/

I was thinking of running lead king crystal mill loop myself maybe sunday, might run smack into you guys might not see you at all.
:cheers:

we'll run it from south to north or whatever it is. after coming down schofield we'll make a right and run it toward marble. then come back up to scofield past the mill. Hopefully we'll meet you.

John, you should come along,

ajax or anyone meeting in the morning we don't need to leave right at 8 since we chose a different route. Lets say be there by 8:30 and we'll leave at the latest at 9.

I pulled the bj outta the garage and it's almost ready to go.

84cruzer
08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Clockwise then?? then back towards CB?? or back towards Marble I-70??

wesintl
08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
counter clockwise I was thinking. Then back over schofield and paradise divide to CB.

if i have to sit in traffic on i70 again back to denver I might shoot myself, I'm heading back 285

84cruzer
08-11-2010, 09:34 PM
counter clockwise I was thinking. Then back over schofield and paradise divide to CB.

if i have to sit in traffic on i70 again back to denver I might shoot myself, I'm heading back 285

So at the fork coming down from the punch bowl "Jacob's Ladder" you will go right up into LK then come around through Crystal. We typically run clockwise LK then CM we may run right into you.

Being a western sloper i am mostly going the other direction of I-70..... saying "glad were not stuck in that mess". But i have had that same experience, I-70 parking lot.

And yes hope to see you on the trail.:hill:

Old40Dog
08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
wes - I may be in.

anyone got teens coming or small children? my boy is probably coming and could use a distraction with all the other stuff.

John, My son Zach's 16 and planning on being with my wife and myself. Hope you can make it!

ttubb
08-12-2010, 06:55 AM
ajax or anyone meeting in the morning we don't need to leave right at 8 since we chose a different route. Lets say be there by 8:30 and we'll leave at the latest at 9.

OK, for those meeting me and Jim Deer at the Gas Cafe on Sat morn, lets plan on meeting there at 6:45 to leave by 7:00 to head to Dorchester camp ground. T

OilHammer
08-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Can someone "build" a google map with pushpins showing where we start and end each day? I know where we are Friday night, but it's not clear where we end each day. Just trying to coordinate where to leave cars to shuttle back and forth, etc.

wesintl
08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
that's fancy stuff right there. I'm not familiar with it but I'll try tonight unless someone does it sooner.

OilHammer
08-12-2010, 01:50 PM
It's easy. Just go to google maps, type in the dorchester location, then click the "my maps" link over on the left top side of the screen. There will be an option to "create new map". Once you start that, you will see several new icons show up inside the map view top left. The middle one is the pushpin. You can drag and drop that wherever you like then label it. Once you save your map, you can email it or post up a link for it. In fact...I may be able to start one....hang on...

wesintl
08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Here is your google map.. let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=104058938114739330032.00048da66346880d59dbf&ll=38.962012,-106.680765&spn=0.04952,0.077162&z=14&iwloc=00048da66780d45b07caa

OilHammer
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
that is just.....AWESOME! We should do this for every trail ride. Thanks!

BTW, just wanted to confirm that a stock (locked) 80 will do this ride. If not, I need to pack the 40.

wesintl
08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
it is pretty cool. Thanks for introducing it...

stock 80 should be fine.. but I have my own running boards to buy :hill:

pics from years ago
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2109&highlight=double+triple+bypass&page=2

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=548

ttubb
08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Way cool, Wes. Thanks for posting.
Yes an 80 will do all this....t

FJ40zen
08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Nice Wes. I am all packed up w/ hardtop on and ready. I will be at Dorchester sometime in the mid-late afternoon, depending on where and how long I horse around on the way there. ( a 2F FJ40 and 160 miles...:rolleyes:....:hill: )

:cool: See you all on Friday night/Saturday morning!

:beer:

rgsiii
08-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I have made reservations in Salida, hopefully will get there by 10 PM. That should allow me to get to the campground by 9 AM.

ttubb
08-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I have made reservations in Salida, hopefully will get there by 10 PM. That should allow me to get to the campground by 9 AM.

Quickest way is over Cottonwood, but then I bet you know that.....T

Beater
08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I didn't make campground res at dorchester. will this be an issue?
will be sleeping in the t100 condo

rgsiii
08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Quickest way is over Cottonwood, but then I bet you know that.....T

I didn't know, just googled the location. I will have to get my Colorado maps out.:hill:

Does this look OK or is there a better route?

Thanks

ttubb
08-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I didn't know, just googled the location. I will have to get my Colorado maps out.:hill:

Does this look OK or is there a better route?

Thanks

This looks good to me. See you tomorrow. Terry

wesintl
08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I didn't make campground res at dorchester. will this be an issue?
will be sleeping in the t100 condo

no reservations there. There are spots that go around the trees clockwise if there are people there. If it's full we'll find a spot, taylor park is pretty big. I suspect no issues though.

DanS
08-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Any of the gunnison guys who read this in the morning:

I'm leaving Idaho Springs at 5AM to head to Dorchester by 9AM. I'll be monitoring the Colorado Connection, 146.46 and Ch.4...

Dan