PDA

View Full Version : hubbard's cave?

simps80
05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I am curious if anyone knows the relative difficulty of the '4x4 trails' leading up to hubbard's cave in glenwood canyon???

I got an email from the troop my son is in, there's a camp out up there coming up and they're looking for help from the parents of the boys in getting the boys up to the cave area.

I am probably going to volunteer but I don't know how tough that area is and if my relatively stock (stock height) 80 can do it, my gut is it should be fine....

Thanks!

Here's the narrative from the email I got:

"....we will be going to Hubbard's Cave, high on the south rim of Glenwood Canyon. While the cave is a great beginner's cave - safe, easy, yet relatively extensive and very interesting, getting to the cave requires traveling over several miles of 4x4 road. We'll be camping in at a site before we get to the 4x4 trail, so we can get the scouts, trailer, etc. to the camp easily enough, but we will need several 4WD vehicles to help transport the kids to/from the cave...."

so any knowledge you all have of the area and/or opinions on if a stock 80 is up to the task is appreciated.

Thanks!

simps80
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/rangerdistricts/aspen_sopris/a_s_rec/4wd/hubbard_cave.pdf

been finding some more info out, its rated 'more difficult'
and says it is 'impassible when its wet'.

..hmmm..

leiniesred
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
That trail is doable by any machine with a low range transfer case.
There is one hill that can get very slick in the rain. It can turn into a tobogan run downhill and you might need a tug to get up it if it is raining and you have street tires or you are pulling a trailer (or a subaru station wagon).

simps80
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
That trail is doable by any machine with a low range transfer case.
There is one hill that can get very slick in the rain. It can turn into a tobogan run downhill and you might need a tug to get up it if it is raining and you have street tires or you are pulling a trailer (or a subaru station wagon).

internets says its 'skinny' and the FS guy says they only use ATV's ....

too skinny for a portly 80?

Shark Bait
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
That trail was Rising Sun's original Adopt-a-Trail. Not sure if we're still involved with it.

Crash
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
That trail was Rising Sun's original Adopt-a-Trail. Not sure if we're still involved with it.

Sadly, no, the club isn't involved in an official capacity with Deadman's Creek anymore. It's a fun trail with the caves being a great reward at the end of the road. If you can get across the creek at the cave turnout the meadows higher up are known as "Little Grand Mesa" - it's beautiful up there. The trail is skinny in spots and Colorado pin-striping can be counted on in an 80 after a foray up to the caves area and back. It'll buff out, though and the trip is worth it, imo! :D

simps80
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks everybody
my truck has got plenty of colorado pinstriping on it, so not too worried about that, so thanks for the info, nice to hear first hand experiences

TIMZTOY
05-26-2010, 09:46 PM
sounds like fun.. i would deffentlly like to do a whole day with this trail and cave sometime this year

farnhamstj
05-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Took my friends full sized dodge and my fj40 through there years ago. Lot's of pin striping to the Dodge. Relatively easy trail as I recall. Big hill was a little intimidating. But 4 low, made quick work of it. Neither of us had lockers. It was not wet.

Cheeseman
05-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Boy I do miss going in there. Bring a chainsaw. Had to cut some tree across the trail just about everytime in there. But like has been said. If it is wet the "toboggan ride" is very unnerving and tough to get back out if wet.
________
Medical marijuana doctor (http://mmjp.org)

Caribou Sandstorm
05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Trail sounds really interesting.

Here is an old RS thread I found from a google search.. I guess I could have searched here first.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=816

Maybe the new club adopting might have information on trail conditions?

84cruzer
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
The trail is very narrow in places, the toughest spot "Cherry Hill" can be a little tough if it gets wet.:eek:I know the trail, and the cave very well, have been up there in several stock 4x4 but most of the trail could be driven in 2 wheel drive. After you cross the creek at the cave it gets a little bit tougher.