PDA

View Full Version : Wanted, fairly clean FJ40 Front Range

dieselcruiserhead
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi guys!

This is for my friend Sam who lives in The People's Republic who is looking for a fairly clean FJ40, like anyone lack of rust first, mods or even mechanical second but ideally he is looking for something complete and clean that runs well as he is a novice to cruisers at least...

I was hoping to possibly plug him in with some/one of you guys possibly as well, he is a great guy (I've known him since we were in 8th grade, sick lacrosse player)...

I am going to shoot him this thread and have him register up. Hope everyone's OK and sorry to not see all of you for the first time I've missed Cruise Moab in 8 years.. I had a tooth infection and a couple other things that definitely made it a no go this year.. :(

cheers,
Andre

MDH33
05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
This one is in his 'hood, and it could probably be set up to burn veggie oil so that he won't get chased out of Boulder for driving a gas buring 4x4 ;)

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13090

dieselcruiserhead
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Awesome, just gave Scott a ring, that could work...

Here is my buddy, he gives mustache rides in the afternoons on Thursdays and Fridays so hide your children..

thanks again,
Andre

dieselcruiserhead
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Seriously, great guy.. Sells gear for a living at an up and coming dot-com down there so good guy to know. Rides this XR650R in his spare time, I was hoping maybe someone could take him under their wing possibly..? :)

corsair23
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Hulk was contemplating selling his 40 at one time...Not sure if he is still looking for a buyer but that would be a sweet, need little to nothing, rig :thumb:

MDH33
05-26-2010, 05:06 PM
A few more nearby that looked decent:

http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/1741535214.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1742293531.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1731327285.html

Hulk
05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I could be convinced to sell. All the details and pictures are in this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8425).

It's super reliable and ready for action.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=10103&stc=1&d=1217901277

Old40Dog
05-26-2010, 09:52 PM
I could be convinced to sell. All the details and pictures are in this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8425).

It's super reliable and ready for action.

Matt, while that's all true, if you sell the Hulk you'll need to come up with a new forum name!

Besides...we all know the only true LandCruiser is the 40 Series!:bowdown:As much as I'd be willing to take it off of your hands....don't sell it man.....you'll want to kick yourself silly in 10 years if you sell it!

TIMZTOY
05-26-2010, 10:54 PM
mines for sale but it needs new main bearings or motor.. hard top and soft top.. minimal rust for its age.. defentlly aint no hulk.. lol

dieselcruiserhead
06-07-2010, 03:01 PM
thanks guys, he is still on the hunt... Much more preferred to get something now in that lower range of up to $6-8G at most it seems, hence the lack on contact on THE HULK as awesome as that looks... But has to also look and run well as well (so that knocks you out also Timztoys -- thanks though!)...

question on smog on the front range, cosmetics important to meet smog requirements, like California? Or if it passes it passes if its a late model like a '81?

thx, Andre

Hulk
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Cosmetics: all smog equipment needs to be installed and look like it's working.

timmbuck2
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
very clean 65
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1780089819.html

and it is mine. ;)

cbmontgo
06-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Saw a really nice and original '76 today between Castle Rock and Franktown on 86 in someone's front driveway. Had some rust, but looked like original blue paint. $5K; I think this one is a hell of a deal.

BRP650
06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Andre thanks for generously posting pictures of me on the thread...I am on the Hunt would greatly appreciate any help. cbmontgo, did you happen to see a phone number on that '76? Do you thinks its worth my time to drive down and check her out?

cbmontgo
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Andre thanks for generously posting pictures of me on the thread...I am on the Hunt would greatly appreciate any help. cbmontgo, did you happen to see a phone number on that '76? Do you thinks its worth my time to drive down and check her out?

I was not able to catch a phone number; we were in a hurry but I stopped for a second just to look.

It has rust in a few spots, but is a very nice truck with what appears to be original paint in that cool blue. I would definitely drive down and see if it's still there. Easily worth $ 5K in my opinion. Good year too.:)

Odometer showed 51K miles (or 151, 251, 351K, who knows). Comes with extra fenders and quarter panels and the window said that it "runs GREAT".

BRP650
06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Sounds interesting and worth the ride. If anyone is in the that area please post the phone number and pics if possible or PM me. I will post an update if I make down that way. Thanks, Sam

MDH33
06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
What year/range are you interested in? what is your budget? Any features that are critical, such as no V8 or want a hardtop, etc. ? I'll keep my eyes open for you.

BRP650
06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I want something fairly clean that runs well so I can drive it a few times a week. Preferably a later model 76 or newer. Also would prefer something more stock and original, but I would consider mods if they are done well and tasteful. Looking to spend between $5K and $9k for the right truck. Thanks again! Sam

simps80
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
This '78 (http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/391191-1978-fj40-sale-trade.html) just cropped up on mud
it looks really clean
but it is a v8 conversion and at the high end of $$$

dieselcruiserhead
06-09-2010, 11:49 AM
thanks guys for all this, I'll forward the link again. He looked at a pretty clean tan '81 that is missing its smog equipment but otherwise looks pretty good and possibly a good deal....

money is $6-8.5 ideally preferably about $6.. So yes he wants it call for $6. Would prefer '79 or later with the fast gearing and power steering etc. Wants to leave it pretty stock... This is why a lot of the earlier ones are ruled out...

MDH33
06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
thanks guys for all this, I'll forward the link again. He looked at a pretty clean tan '81 that is missing its smog equipment but otherwise looks pretty good and possibly a good deal....

money is $6-8.5 ideally preferably about $6.. So yes he wants it call for $6. Would prefer '79 or later with the fast gearing and power steering etc. Wants to leave it pretty stock... This is why a lot of the earlier ones are ruled out...

This looks promising:

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/1783493355.html

BRP650
06-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks again. I really do appreciate the support. Just emailed that guy for more pics.

dieselcruiserhead
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I missed the postings from my friend Sam, BRP650 , before writing that. thanks again guys, you guys are awesome.. I think the more he looks around and after driving a couple stock trucks with their suspensions all worn out, stock FJ40 style, he is excited for a modified truck including that trade in Vegas.. :)

Sam I'm super psyched you're getting into cruisers which I don't think I ever mentioned... :)

cheers, Andre

cbmontgo
06-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Saw a really nice and original '76 today between Castle Rock and Franktown on 86 in someone's front driveway. Had some rust, but looked like original blue paint. $5K; I think this one is a hell of a deal.

It's on Craigslist now:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1788400705.html

dieselcruiserhead
06-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Sam found a pretty immaculate almost totally OEM '78 FJ40 in Reno.. Ended up renting a little Toyota Corolla one way to the Reno airport, left Friday evening, back last night with a couple hours stopped at our place in Park City (Utah) along the way... Awesome.. He will need a little help desmogging it right but its tight and runs well... Thanks again guys for all of this...

gr8fulabe
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
He can't legally desmog a 78 in the front range

dieselcruiserhead
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
How heavily is this enforced? I have lots of friends who have desmogged trucks that seem to pass smog requirements (in terms of emissions) just fine. Currently the air pump is also having issues and is not hooked up (no belt) and it is also affecting performance of the truck as well. Not badly, but enough that it matters...

I don't think they would flag it simply with that stuff cosmetically missing?

thanks,
Andre

MDH33
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
How heavily is this enforced? I have lots of friends who have desmogged trucks that seem to pass smog requirements (in terms of emissions) just fine. Currently the air pump is also having issues and is not hooked up (no belt) and it is also affecting performance of the truck as well. Not badly, but enough that it matters...

I don't think they would flag it simply with that stuff cosmetically missing?

thanks,
Andre

It depends on the person doing the check. Some will do a thorough visual inspection, some do not. Some will know what to look for, others won't. But regardless, the new rules are stricter. Best thing to do would be to repair the broken or missing smog equipment. It will run as it's supposed to, it will pass emissions, and it will have a better resale value with all the goods intact.

cbmontgo
06-15-2010, 02:11 PM
It depends on the person is doing the check. Some will do a thorough visual inspection, some do not. Some will know what to look for, others won't. But regardless, the new rules are stricter, and a '78 now needs the biannual test. Best thing to do would be to repair the broken or missing smog equipment. It will run as it's supposed to, it will pass emissions, and it will have a better resale value with all the goods intact.

Yep. They put my '76 through the paces recently at the smog station. Passed, fortunately.

gr8fulabe
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
They told me when I had my 65 down that 74 & older just get a sniffer test & nothing else matters. Newer than that now & they do a complete test (visual, sniffer, gas cap pressure, the works). So maybe if you go to the right place you can sneak by, but on a 78 you will need to get re-tested every two years, so it might not be worth the risk.
Best
Abe

dieselcruiserhead
06-15-2010, 04:53 PM
It is funny because I believe our physical rules are a little more difficult here in Utah but it sounds way worse there. I remember desmogged cruisers seemingly running a lot better with proper desmogging and a vacuum advance non smog distributor. His smog equipment other than pump appears to be completely in place. I can't remember if I just mentioned it but he passed fine but then they noticed no belt on the pump and declined it. I was saying they would never know that it was smogged if he pulled all of that and did the power steering install I imagine he will probably do some day. But perhaps he should jjust replace the pump and leave it all in tact. If anyone has one for a '78 lying around I'm sure he would be psyched...

wesintl
06-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I was worried when my 64 when in for smog. no rollers but I had to pass a idle and maybe 2k rpm sniff and visual inspection. Not sure what they were visually inspecting on a 64 though