PDA

View Full Version : seeking opinions

jacdaw
05-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Or you can just give me a hard time and laugh or whatever. I can take it.:D

When I was in Cali I ended up buying back my old Saab. 5 years ago I shattered a piston under a wee bit too much boost. I could not afford to fix it so it sat. I sold it to a pilot for $500 and he rebuilt it. His wife hates it so it sat...again. I asked him about it when I was there and he said he'd take $500 for it. Seems to me that would mean he fixed it for me for free, right? How could I pass on that?

It got 26 MPG on the drive home on 85 octane. That's thrice what the Hilux got towing the motorcycle.:( The leg over Wolf Creek was 8 MPG. :eek:

I have been trying to raise money for a Pig since October. The bike won't sell for some reason. But I have a fun and thrifty daily driver which means I could make the Hilux a budget trail truck now. Maybe even rip off the bed before it rusts off on its own.

Or, I could pass the Hilux on to one of you who wants to do a SAS and be toyotaless until the bike sells, and then buy a Pig.

what to do? what to do?

hyperboarder
05-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Why do you want a pig so bad? What kind of $ are you expecting to pay?

jacdaw
05-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Why do you want a pig so bad? What kind of $ are you expecting to pay?I just like 'em. I'm at an age where I just want what I want and don't have to have a better reason.:rolleyes: I don't want to spend more than $3500 but I'm expecting to pay up to $5000. A clean body is not required. Being an eyesore to the greenies in Boulder would give this old man a grin.

TIMZTOY
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
info on the bike ? pic's ? price ?

jacdaw
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
info on the bike ? pic's ? price ?

current ad (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1750114648.html), down to $3k from $4500 back in October.

60wag
05-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Driving the SAAB, you'd look right at home in the Whole Foods parking lot :)

DaveInDenver
05-27-2010, 05:48 AM
what to do? what to do?
I'd be happy to have as neat an old Hilux as that, so if it was me I would stand pat. But I'm the weird one who never clicked with an FJ40 and prefer the mini truck. Most 'real' enthusiasts own a Hilux as a stepping stone or ugly sister to the 'real' Toyota. Pigs are cool but man, as much of a PITA as it was keeping a FJ40 on the road the FJ55 is a whole new level of pain.

farnhamstj
05-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Sell the hilux. If you feel you don't need it. You can always get another one of those. Hold out for the pig you want.

DaveInDenver
05-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Sell the hilux. If you feel you don't need it. You can always get another one of those. Hold out for the pig you want.
This would make more sense if he had a 2nd or 3rd gen Hilux, but finding nice 1st gen pickups is tougher, similar to finding a nice FJ40. I would not personally sell a good '79-'81, particularly the '79 or '80. Round headlights, two latch tailgate, external bed hooks, etc. Personally I think the 1980 Hilux is the preferred one, much like the 1978 FJ40 because it had 4.37 gears from Toyota. If you have a solid stock 1980 you change to the L52 tranny (really the HD from Marlin) and you're basically at an ideal truck for recreation. Just my $0.02, but I'd personally end up regretting selling it if I owned his truck.

leiniesred
05-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I say sell the bike, then the pickup, then buy a pig. You know what you want, you have a plan on how to get it. Implement the plan.
Plus, with your luck, the next pickup owner will put a NOS bed found in the back of a dusty warehouse on your old truck and you'll buy the rig back in 5 years for what you sold it for!

On the flip side, if you think the pickup gets crappy fuel economy, the pig will hurt even more, eh?

jacdaw
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
On the flip side, if you think the pickup gets crappy fuel economy, the pig will hurt even more, eh?If it is just a trail rig, I'm not as concerned about fuel economy. I own 8 NATO cans.

FJBRADY
05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey John, this was in the paper today. Congrats on getting the car fixed for free. As for the Pig, life's too short do what makes you happy!

pmccumber
05-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Get the pig. Seriously, this is your life and if you want one, get one. It's not like you're dropping $90k on a '10 Land Crusier.

Now I might wait until the summer is over before I went without something to bounce down the glorious backroads of our state. I live for the time of year where we are right now.

So sell the bike, shop for a pig, and then sell the truck.

jacdaw
06-07-2010, 12:37 AM
About 24 hours before my bike sold, one of the Pigs I was watching on eBay sold for $3200. If that's FMV for the quality of Pig I want, finding a buyer for the Hilux will get me there. I could have a Pig before summer's end, and maybe even take it out on a run. Where's that fingers crossed emoticon?