PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack Clearance

LARGEONE
05-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Is there a minimum space I should have b/w my truck roof and the ConFer roof rack? I know I need the obvious minimum amount for the bars to deflect and not hit my truck, but I was more wondering if I need a certain amount of space to allow for air/wind to pass under the rack? I'd like to lower my rack so I can still get the truck in the garage.

My plan...add a bottom sheet to the rack so that things don't fall through. As it is right now, there are only the three cross members that don't really hold anything in the rack!!! Then, lower the mounts about two inches which would leave about 1/2" between the rack and the truck. Any issues with this?

TIA

60wag
05-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd put the rack as close to the roof as possible without damaging the roof. Air flow between the rack and the roof is lost power at highway speed.

LARGEONE
05-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Thank you, Bruce...this is what I was wondering. I'm going to try to lower it a bit and hope that it will fit in my garage with the rack on after I'm done. I may need to buy a couple more attachment brackets from Nathaniel?

Chris
05-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I've a home-made rack for my RTT so it'll clear the garage. There's just enough room to reach underneath to attach the mounting bolts, 2" from the root top to the bottom of the rack. I can pull into the garage.

Found that I cannot back in to it though. :eek:

SteveH
06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Don't forget to account for the weight in the rack (gas cans, tires), and the flexing from offroad use - re: clearance between the rack and roof.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a Front Runner double gas can holder, brand new, never installed..

If you want to buy it for your rack? Does not work with my plastic Sceptor cans..minor detail..

I paid 100.00 for it. Yours or anyone elses for 80.00, will bring to the meeting tonight, if you or someone else wants it.