PDA

View Full Version : glock question

nuclearlemon
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
so excuse my shear guess on caliber, i was in shock to find out today that my brother is a gun owner and enjoys shooting. heck i'm still in shock. no one here knows my brother, but it would be a shock to them also.

anyways, he has a glock, pretty sure he said it was a .45. thing works great for him. he took my sister in law shooting a couple of times and he said every time she shoots it, it jams. he'll pull the slide, clear the jam and fire off rounds and it will be fine. she shoots and it'll jam again. only thing i can think of is not having a consistant pull on the trigger (hesistation, maybe anticipating the bang)?, but that's just a wag.

anyone heard of this issue and any solutions?

chtucker
05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Mine did the same thing till it was cleaned and lubed well. It occurred more with hollow points than FMJ

Loki
05-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Dirty ramp? maybe clean and lube well like chtucker said. Also change ammo brand, might be cheap stuff he's shooting? though I've never heard anything about Glocks being ammo picky...

Edit: Yep, just did a google search and Randy is correct, the most obvious problem glocks have with a jam is a limp wristing when shooting.

Air Randy
05-30-2010, 09:44 PM
No, it's how shes gripping the gun. When he fires it (same gun, same ammo) he's probably got a tighter grip and it allows the recoil of the slide to work efficiently. When she shoots it, she probably got a looser grip or weaker wrist and lets the gun rock back more which makes the slide recoil less effective for cycling the action.

The glocks are known for being very reliable with high power factory ammo but will jam consistently using lower power target ammo, especially if the shooter lets the gun recoil easily.

TIMZTOY
05-31-2010, 12:58 AM
randy is 100% correct.. shes not holding the gun tight enough.. see example below..

dFJjaj7pXsA

nuclearlemon
05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
cool. thanks, texted my bro to let him know. hopefully that will help. :thumb:

rover67
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I had a G30 (.45 cal glock) that jammed on me a lot. Lots of stove pipe jams. Everybody that I had look at it said it was fine.

I tried it with lots of different ammo and it always jammed like that.

Anywho, I made sure my grip was right and had shot lots and lots of rounds ( was shooting 2k plus rounds a week at the time) so I was in good shooting shape. I was convinced it was the pistol.

I sold it and a few months later another one came around that had lots of work done to it so I got it to try the G30 again. The new one never jammed on me once. Still hasn't.

Weird, but that was my experience.

I like my new G30 a lot.

corsair23
06-01-2010, 12:56 AM
randy is 100% correct.. shes not holding the gun tight enough.. see example below..

Tim,

You only need to paste the "dFJjaj7pXsA" part....I was going to post the video but after seeing the guys shirt I decided not to :D - All I can say is OUCH

84cruzer
06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Cheap ammo may be to blame.

TIMZTOY
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Tim,

You only need to paste the "dFJjaj7pXsA" part....I was going to post the video but after seeing the guys shirt I decided not to :D - All I can say is OUCH

Thanks. Wasn't sure.

RedCreeper
06-03-2010, 07:19 PM

dFJjaj7pXsA

ohouch. that reminds me of my buddys wife when she wanted to shoot his 3 1/2 12 guage shotgun with 3 1/2 tripple odd buck shot. got a video of it. totally knocked her on her but.

Dr. Schlegs
06-06-2010, 07:06 AM
In the woman's defense, the Desert Eagle is a big gun. I can barely get my first finger joints around to the other side of the Desert Eagle. That is a gun for someone with BIG hands, and mine are rather large.

Uncle Ben
06-06-2010, 07:15 AM
In the woman's defense, the Desert Eagle is a big gun. I can barely get my first finger joints around to the other side of the Desert Eagle. That is a gun for someone with BIG hands, and mine are rather large.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jrEvXYmEO2U/Sy7JDfflWtI/AAAAAAAACj4/RkEtqLSYkhk/s400/Panty+Waist.jpg
:p:

Dr. Schlegs
06-06-2010, 07:29 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jrEvXYmEO2U/Sy7JDfflWtI/AAAAAAAACj4/RkEtqLSYkhk/s400/Panty+Waist.jpg
:p:

I guess I am like the guy in the Burger King Ad that is intimidated by the Whopper. Another thing about about Eagle is the eject is at the top, I have seen people shooting it that have had spent rounds blinking off their forehead. That will make you a shy shooter. Same reason I have bottom eject shot gun for waterfowl, others would eject the shell across my line of sight. Not a comfortable feeling.

Uncle Ben
06-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I guess I am like the guy in the Burger King Ad that is intimidated by the Whopper. Another thing about about Eagle is the eject is at the top, I have seen people shooting it that have had spent rounds blinking off their forehead. That will make you a shy shooter. Same reason I have bottom eject shot gun for waterfowl, others would eject the shell across my line of sight. Not a comfortable feeling.

In all seriousness your points are vary valid. The DE is a hand full without a doubt. The recoil really isn't that bad because the weight of the gun and the slide action recoil eat up a lot of energy but as you point out the thick grip and the remaining recoil make for a gun that is not that fun to shoot. I had a .475 Wildey that I still kick myself for selling. That was a tunable gas operated action and would cycle anything from almost primer only to full on elk loads. Great grip too although still on the thick side. They are producing the Wildey again so one might be back in the safe in the near future.

Just pulled up a link.......that did it....I'm getting another one! :rolleyes: :hill:
http://www.wildeyguns.com/index.html

wesintl
06-06-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/images/herbs/pansy-bsp.jpg

Mendocino
06-06-2010, 09:48 AM
I would tend to agree with Randy; it sounds like she is "limp wristing" the pistol.

nattybumppo
06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
She is for whom S&W made the 9 mm "Lady Smith" many years ago. Better to hit the target than your nose!