PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Feedback on a Crushed 80

rover67
06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
So a good friend of mine here at work had his 80 crushed by a tree during the windstorms the other week.

He is looking for feedback on what to do with it. He is not in a situation to part it since he does not have a place to work on it at. Is this something a junk yard would want? Oleg might be interested in? He needs to get rid of it since he wants another and it's not covered under his insurance.

It is a '94 unlocked truck with 131,000 miles on it. It is very clean and i'd say the only thing wrong with it is that the drivers seat is worn. The truck has been serviced by the book by Charlie's Garage in Boulder. Just had it's 30k mile work done.

What are folk's thoughts here?

Uncle Nakdude
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow, that's not covered under his insurance? What about homeowner's insurance?

Such a nice looking 80. :(

rover67
06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
yeah, no comprehensive...

Homeowners is a good idea, I'll bring it up.

corsair23
06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I too would think homeowner's might cover that...The caveat there being the general rule of thumb is to shy away from using homeowner's coverage for anything but really expensive stuff...

Seems like that would make a great candidate for a chopped top 80 though :D - If he can't get the damage covered I'd pop it up on MUD etc. for sale as-is. I'd think he might get some interest in a relatively low mileage 80 just for the engine and tranny alone...Whoever buys it can part it out from there :thumb:

Flares, grill, headlights, interior (like visors that don't droop), etc. items seem to move pretty quick.

Hulk
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
yeah, no comprehensive...

I wonder how much he saved buying liability only? Enough to buy a new 80? Not trying to be a jerk -- just wondering if the savings were really substantial.

corsair23
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
'Nother question, was it HIS tree that fell on his 80?

rover67
06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I wonder how much he saved buying liability only? Enough to buy a new 80? Not trying to be a jerk -- just wondering if the savings were really substantial.

I don't know how much he saved, I didn't ask him....

I lost my brand new 2000 Toyota tundra back in 04 because I thought I didn't need comprehensive.. At least it was paid for and I didn't have to think about my mistake month after month, it was just a clean $23,500 loss.

All of my vehicles have it now.

We make bad decisions and stuff happens sometimes...

rover67
06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
'Nother question, was it HIS tree that fell on his 80?

Just asked him and it was a city tree... he said they won't cover it.

DaveInDenver
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
i'd say the only thing wrong with it is that the drivers seat is worn.
Seem 'wrong' to have a tree coming out of it, too. :-)

No help on what to do, my truck ain't worth anything near FZJ80 money and so I don't bother insuring it. I save enough insurance in a year to buy most of another 250,00 mile, 20 year old uber basic pickup and have a spare WilderNest... I would sell it to a junk yard or a Cruiser head for parts and just buy another.

corsair23
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Just asked him and it was a city tree... he said they won't cover it.

That seems wrong...If a city snowplow blasted his truck would they not be liable? What if said tree fell onto his house? Bet ya the city would be PO'd if he cut down those trees due to the possibility that could take out his next vehicle.

I'm guessing this would fall under the "Act of God" clause though absolving the city...That said, something tells me his homeowners isn't going to cover it either then since it wasn't even "his" tree and technically the vehicle was parked on a city street :(

LARGEONE
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Obviously...if he had the time to part it out, that would gain him the most money. Since you said he doesn't have the space or ability to part it out himself, the next best thing might be to see what he could get for it on MUD, as Jeff said. Someone might want the frame, engine, axles, tranny, etc and then part the rest to make up for their effort. If it was locked, he'd have an even better shot at it, but since it has such low miles, someone with an 80 they love that has 250K miles on it might be interested just to refresh their rig.

Is it Driveable? It looks to be. That helps.

For those wondering...it's over $300 per year on an 80 for comprehensive. So, if this truck is totaled at $4K, it would take a lot of years to make it up. However, this analysis cannot be made already knowing you're gonna lose your truck to a random tree event!!! As Dave has mentioned...for most people, they will never have a catastrophic loss so it makes sense not to carry it on a vehicle older than 10 years old. Unless you love your trucks like we do :)!!!

rover67
06-01-2010, 02:12 PM
He says he's asked a lawyer and it is what it is..

RockRunner
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
It won't be covered by HO because it is a motor vehicle and they have their own insurance coverage. learned this the hard way when my dirt bike got stolen out of my rear porch area from our town home.

It is a bummer and to some people $300 is a nice savings. Maybe somebody here or on Mud has can help him part it for a small fee or % of the sale. First I would check with the junk yards what they would give him and then see what he could get for selling the parts and junking the rest.

Just a thought.

rover67
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
So so far he's got Charlie from Charlie's Garage cruising by to check it out, and a call in to a few junkyards to see what they offer him.

After that it'll probably be up for sale for some amount that is hopefully reasonable.

Too bad since it is a pretty low mileage rig. he says it has third row seats too, are those desirable?

Hulk
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
he says it has third row seats too, are those desirable?

Not really. You can pick them up cheap. I have a set in my garage that I would like to sell. Still wouldn't hurt to put them on Craigslist and make a few bucks.

rover67
06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Not really. You can pick them up cheap. I have a set in my garage that I would like to sell. Still wouldn't hurt to put them on Craigslist and make a few bucks.

cool, thanks just thinking out loud.

we'll see what the yards say tomorrow.

Timm, i know you are interested in it, i'll make sure he talks to you first unless he chooses another route. I'm trying not to play middle man, just want to help him out.

wesintl
06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
does it have a super charger? ;) :D

Hulk
06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Probably not on a '94.

rover67
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
nope no supercharger :(

corsair23
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm still thinking he should chop it, put in a roll cage, and have a soft top fabbed up for it :D

I bet for $2-3K he could get it done and that's a whole lot less than an 80 will run him...Or look for an 80 with a dead engine for cheap and swap in his good engine/tranny and call it good. Wish I had the :twocents:, time, skills, and space to convert an 80 into a convertible trail rig...I think that would be uber :cool:

Bruce Miller
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
It's a city tree, it's the city's responsibility. Get an attorney who doesn't like the city. The city is thinking you'll go away. The right attorney will make them think twice about that.

Old40Dog
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Hey Marco! I have an interest if it becomes available for sale. Thanks!

Dr. Schlegs
06-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I know Nancy up on Walnut has some 80 roofs. Could cut and weld in.

LARGEONE
06-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Dave (Old Dog)...are you gonna put the pig on the 80 frame?!!! That would be sweet!

pmccumber
06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Was it in Boulder? They probably didn't send their tree maintenance personnel to Arizona for the clinic on maintaining cottonwoods.

I can turn any subject on Boulder back to this topic :)

Jacket
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Perfect opportunity to chop off the back 1/3 and build a canback top. (easy for me to say....)

rover67
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, he took it to the junkyard...

I know a few of you were interested in it and I let him know that, but he decided to just take it to the yard.

Thanks for helping me guide him.

LARGEONE
06-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Do you know what yard? I may need a few things!

rover67
06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
No I don't. I'll ask him on Monday and post up. Pm me if I forget.

nuclearlemon
06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
i also would like to know. if anyone goes, could they cut the chunk of wiring harness that runs under the front of the passenger seat, from center console to door, including the jumpers for the seat and the power relay? mine decided to become one with the tar on the floor, the plastic sheathing, the plastic in the relay and whatever else it could fuse itself to. i could also use the fusible links in the fuse block under the steering wheel.

rover67
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Here is where it it is...

http://recycler.car-part.com/BlakesSmallCar/