PDA

View Full Version : random surfing yields..."the tentcot"

simps80
06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
reading the TRD supercharger thread in the for sale section lead me to THIS (http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=-8545)

has anyone seen one of these in person? If so, good stuff?

legs look a little shaky. wonder about the materials.. its pretty cheap, and seems like a really good idea....

Uncle Ben
06-02-2010, 07:07 AM
reading the TRD supercharger thread in the for sale section lead me to THIS (http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=-8545)

has anyone seen one of these in person? If so, good stuff?

legs look a little shaky. wonder about the materials.. its pretty cheap, and seems like a really good idea....

They work as intended. If your claustrophobic then it's probably not for you.

hyperboarder
06-02-2010, 07:41 AM
I've seen them discussed before. IIRC, the discussers liked them. Do they have any kind of drape to use the under-cot-area as a mini-vestibule?

Uncle Ben
06-02-2010, 08:31 AM
I've seen them discussed before. IIRC, the discussers liked them. Do they have any kind of drape to use the under-cot-area as a mini-vestibule?

It is a padded lawn lounge with a tent structure sewed on. There is a fly that is optional but nessesary if it rains. They use web straps for safety on the outward legs so it doesn't collapse in the middle of the night. They are solid and well made. There are a couple on this forum that have strong opinions on "coffin" sleeping, maybe they will pop in. I do have two that I have used once and would sell if someone was interested. They are the oversized single person models. (I strongly recommend them even for smaller campers!)

zornff
06-02-2010, 08:56 AM
We have the double model and it works great. The wife and i camped in it when we went to Rubithon '08. Easy to set up and plenty of room. If only one person was using it you would have a ton of room for gear. We have since moved on to a RTT, so i would sell it if someone here wanted it. It has the carry bag and rain fly.

Mike

nuclearlemon
06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Don't like the lack of interior storage and the fact that old air canblow inderneath

Corbet
06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
there was a discussion about them on MUD a while back. Search the expedition forum I think. Most that had used them approved.

TIMZTOY
06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Hennesy hammoc explorer deluxe

http://greatescapessports.com/catalog/mobile_product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=310&

treerootCO
06-06-2010, 07:37 PM
GOD NO! Run away! We used them on the Kokapelli, swing by for beers and I'll tell you stories.

hyperboarder
06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
For those that have them and are considering selling, how much?

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
For those that have them and are considering selling, how much?

You should get a rare opportunity to try before you buy just because you're a contributor to the RS forum! You want to camp out in one for a weekend let me know. You like it, great we can decide on a price that works for both of us. You hate it you haven't lost anything and someone on Craigslist will score some Tent Cots (without this option)

hyperboarder
06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Hmm, might have to take you up on that. If nothing else I'd kick you a 6 pack for your troubles :). Let me figure out a time that'll work with my wife.

MDH33
06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
As Ige mentioned, cold air flowing under the cot is guaranteed to make sleeping unpleasant. Being on the ground using a thermarest or something similar would be better. Even RTT's address this problem by using a thick platform and a thick mattress.

hyperboarder
06-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Why couldn't you use a thermarest in the cot? I understand the fact that you still have the cold air would cool you more than being on the ground, but I imagine it would help.

Uncle Ben
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
There is actually an "OK" pad on the cot. adding in a self inflating air mattress definitely makes the cot more comfortable. The biggest issue is claustrophobia if you are so inclined.