PDA

View Full Version : 11th Annual Father's Day Run **June 20**

Rzeppa
06-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Bring your father! Bring your kids! Let your kids drive! Let your father drive! :eek:

I will be leading our eleventh annual Father's Day trail ride on Spring Creek Trail on Sunday June 20th. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular in our club and will probably take longer, typically getting back to I-70 in Georgetown around 3:00 PM or so.

As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

IMPORTANT CHANGE: In prior years we have always met at the McDonalds in El Rancho at 8:30 AM. This year we will meet at the Burger King in Downieville at 9:00 AM and air down in that parking lot.

We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5. The only ham I have is in my sandwich, so the 2 meter folks can figure out whatever you want.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, a hill where we had a rollover a few years ago, but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. We can take take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs if necessary, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above.

Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Trip Report from 2006 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1627&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2007 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4051&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2008 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7400&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2009 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10225&highlight=father%27s+day)

Happy cruisin'!

FJBRADY
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
We are in. :thumb:

JadeRunner
06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Hooray! Meet at Downieville and air down at the same time. Glad to see you finally make that change. That should keep us in front of some of the Jeep groups. And thanks for continuing the tradition and leading Jeff. We expect you to do the Rock Garden again like you did last year.

I will be there with my kids again. My front air locker is still spewing fluid out the diff breather so I won't have that. No biggie. Robbie will be tearing back into it to figure it out the Monday after Fathers Day.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-04-2010, 01:12 AM
We are in!

Old40Dog
06-04-2010, 08:12 AM
See you there!

Rzeppa
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Hooray! Meet at Downieville and air down at the same time. Glad to see you finally make that change.

Well Scott, you know I REALLY like my egg McMuffin, which is the main reason I have always preferred McD's over the years. But last year they were closed!!!! Damage from a grease fire in the kitchen reportedly. So I had to go across the street and get BK anyways. Yech :mad:

Anyway, it kind of ticked me off, so I figure BK it is. And there you have...the rest of the story :)

Romer
06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
We were planning on doing this, then Bonni gave me 4 tickets to see the play Young Frankenstien that same day

A couple of months ago she asked me if I wanted to see any plays with her

My response" If I have to see a play, then Young Frankenstien would be it"

what she heard " I really want to go see Young Frankenstein"

Oh well, it's was nice of her to get tickets

corsair23
06-08-2010, 01:02 AM

:lmao:

Beats my reason...Can you believe they actually scheduled a kids soccer tournament on Father's Day weekend :confused: - It appears soccer is taking over my life...I'm following in Beater's footsteps :hill:

MountainGoat
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I had the :Princess: put this one on the calendar. We'll be there! :cool:

RLMS
06-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I am hoping to bring my father, and my 71 stocker " Bettie Blue "
I am conceaned about body damage due to the fact that she is STOCK
so I will put a set of sliders on her! However,
I was wondering, with 33's, no locker and a good driver, I should be able to get this trail done with out damage?

Justin

FJBRADY
06-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I was wondering, with 33's, no locker and a good driver, I should be able to get this trail done with out damage?

Justin

You should be able to. I recommend sliders! You can bypass the first obsticle and the rock garden, but you must drive though this switchback....no bypass. Take your time ask for help when needed and you will be fine! Or just swing by Randy's I think he has an extra rig or two :D

RLMS
06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I would bring the WAR PIG, but it is still under the knife from moab!

So I will get some sliders on her, possible late model rear end with an e locker, if I have time!!

Randy should start " RANDY'S ALL RENTAL " :beer:

Justin

Air Randy
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I would bring the WAR PIG, but it is still under the knife from moab!

So I will get some sliders on her, possible late model rear end with an e locker, if I have time!!

Randy should start " RANDY'S ALL RENTAL " :beer:

Justin

An old jeep renegade that was not locked front or rear and didn't have anything bigger than 33" tires made it up OK behind us, so you're probably right, you better stay home and not risk it.................:rolleyes:

Rzeppa
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
We were planning on doing this, then Bonni gave me 4 tickets to see the play Young Frankenstien that same day

A couple of months ago she asked me if I wanted to see any plays with her

My response" If I have to see a play, then Young Frankenstien would be it"

Oh well, it's was nice of her to get tickets

Yes it was very nice of her - I loved that movie, I'll bet the play will be great too. We'll miss you - you and the girls usually have a fun time.

Rzeppa
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Justin

Hi Justin, you should be fine. I remember wheeling with you and that rig at Moab, and you are a darn good driver. The most likely issue will be occasional scratches from rocks on your u-bolt plates, bottom of diffs, maybe front shackles depending on how you approach various obstacles. Your sheet metal will be just fine though. I've done this trail many times open/stock suspension/31s. We made the 33s + locker recommendation after a couple times with newbies in stockers who weren't very good drivers.

When I lifted a couple inches for 33s all of a sudden I stopped scraping as many things underneath :D

Rzeppa
06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
You should be able to. I recommend sliders!

40s don't need no stinkin' sliders! :hill:

Karst8835
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I will try to make it.

Jack

Bikeman
06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Most likely our fam will make it. I haven't been up there for 4 years. I will not believe that it is easier 'til i see it!

JadeRunner
06-09-2010, 09:27 PM
The rock garden was easier last year.

Nay
06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Still another weekend for everybody to start digging it out. I'm a strong maybe, definitely trying to make it work. Just had a business trip cancel so things are looking up :beer:

rover67
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I may make a surprise visit but don't count on me.... I'll be on my way back from a week long road trip and am going to try to time it right to be able to make it.

Red_Chili
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
In! Hope both boys can make it!
:thumb:

AxleIke
06-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Justin

This trail has mellowed quite a bit. Even the rock garden has gotten a few pretty easy lines through it.

I've done this trail when it was a lot harder than it is now on 28's no lockers, and no armor in a mini truck :eek: .

You will be just fine.

I'd imagine the requirements are added due to the size of the group, as it takes a little longer to get through stock. But, this is by no means a body damage trail. Its quite enjoyable, and fun for all.

RedCreeper
06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Is there a place to hide a trailer? i may try to sneak mine out of the garage.... tags are old... shhhhhh

Rzeppa
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Is there a place to hide a trailer? i may try to sneak mine out of the garage.... tags are old... shhhhhh

Yes but...

We will be coming off the trail in a different place than the trailhead, probably G-Town.

Air Randy
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Kenny,

Yes, there are several places on the frontage road between the Burger King and the trailhead and near the trailhead itself to park a trailer. Get there early though to make sure you get a trailer spot in case other groups are running the trail. I know Steve, myself, Justin, Kim and few others will probably trailer in so it will fill up fast.

All of our rigs are street legal so driving back from Georgetown or Idaho Springs to the trailers isn't a problem. But if yours isn't street legal you might want to consider driving back down the trail after the rock garden.

RedCreeper
06-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks Randy, Its got tags and is street legal. Just don' t want to drive 1hr 15min to the trail in it. I have ins on the trailer just the tags are old. shhhhhhhh mmmmmm

RedCreeper
06-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Hope to have the brakes figured out and get a few body bolts on it and should be good to go. just need to unburry the trailer. so put us down as a maybe....

Rzeppa
06-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks Randy, Its got tags and is street legal. Just don' t want to drive 1hr 15min to the trail in it. I have ins on the trailer just the tags are old. shhhhhhhh mmmmmm

There are frontage roads next to I-70 between G-Town and Downieville..depending on the traffic on I-70 we may well use those for our escape anyway...

SKIDPLATE
06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
It'll be my first time. Should be fun. See ya'll there.

Rzeppa
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm counting 15 including myself - should be fun!

Bikeman
06-19-2010, 09:45 PM
We're out. The wife has a week long business trip starting Sun pm.

rover67
06-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Looks like I'm out...

I broke the left rear spring on the 60, two leave halves are missing and the truck has a major lean to it.

I am going to spend the day trying to get the 40 running instead.

Have fun out there!

RedCreeper
06-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Well finally loaded up. See you guys there. I hope......

Rzeppa
06-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Looks like I'm out...

I broke the left rear spring on the 60, two leave halves are missing and the truck has a major lean to it.

I am going to spend the day trying to get the 40 running instead.

Have fun out there!

Bummer Marco! Your 60 makes those rocks look like they weren't even there!

I will mention that we may expect a ringer - buddy in a 72/74 Scout with his son. Yeah yeah yeah, it's not a Toyota, but it's old iron with ARBs front and rear. We'll convert him to the light before the day is over :)

RedCreeper
06-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Hope he makes it. Then I wont be the only oddball.