PDA

View Full Version : Blow Off Work and Go Wheelin' run 2010 - 10th annual **July 14**

Hulk
06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
BLOW OFF WORK AND GO WHEELIN' RUN (10th annual)
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Meeting time: 1:00 p.m. Depart @ 1:30 p.m.

Trail: Slaughterhouse Gulch. The trail is moderate. It's fine for stock Cruisers, 4Runners, FJ Cruisers, etc. There is a hill with some good optional whoop-de-woos if you're locked and lifted. It's near Bailey, off of 285.

Meeting place: King Soopers Shopping Center in Aspen Park (Conifer area) This is just off Hwy 285, a block east of where Coney Island was previously located.
KING SOOPERS
25637 CONIFER ROAD
CONIFER, CO 80433
Store Phone: 303-816-4960

Dinner: (updated) Planned for JJ Madwell's in Conifer.

Ham: 146.460
CB: Channel 4

jacdaw
06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I wonder if the :Princess: would kick me to the curb if I blew off moving for this?:(

SRT08BUS
06-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm in, even though it's really a day off for me.

MDH33
06-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I think the pier 49 in Conifer closed. I'll double check and post info.

nuclearlemon
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
i'm feeling a little cough cough sick...maybe i'll call in.

Hulk
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I think the pier 49 in Conifer closed. I'll double check and post info.

OK, thanks. That would be too bad -- their pizza was quite good.

MountainMan
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
hmm.... this is a good idea...

Loki
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm in for this... self employment has its perks sometimes :D

Uncle Ben
06-02-2010, 09:48 PM
My boss is such a jerk I'm going and not telling him about it! :rolleyes:

timmbuck2
06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
yay!! planning on it...

simps80
06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
oh hecks yea

planning on it

nattybumppo
06-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I think this is also Bastille Day. Might have to fly a French flag. I will be there.

fubuki
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm in.

cajunrock
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Enjoyed my first meeting last night. Cold beer and good burger! :cheers: Oh, the formal gathering of current members and official business was good too.:blah:

I would like to "go bouncing" on Wed. I will bring my girls and dogs.

CajunRock

Rzeppa
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Dinner: Tentatively planned for Pier 49 Pizza in the King Soopers shopping center.

Unfortunately Pier 49 went out of business this past winter. The rent was too high to turn a profit. Darn shame too, the owners were really nice.

There is an Anthonie's in the new Safeway center. They aren't as good as Pier 49, but there you have it.

FJBRADY
06-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I like to avoid work count me in.

Old40Dog
06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Im in! :D The boss will @^!&$%&(^^(&)

Suggest either JJ Madwells:beer: or Coney Island (no beer :( though)

J J Madwell's - Like the Italian restaurants in Jersey. It's such a little hole in the wall, but soooo good!
26412 Main St
Conifer, CO 80433
Hours: Daily 10 am - 9 pm.
1 mile south of Kings on East side of 285 next to Loaf & Jug.

Coney Island Hot Dog-shaped Diner - You all know all about this one.
10 Old Stagecoach Road, Bailey, CO
Formerly in Aspen Park, now just west of Bailey along US 285, right by the North Fork of the South Platte River.
Hours: Daily 10 am - 9 pm.

Dr. Schlegs
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't see client's on Wednesdays, and I hope to have my bigger meats by then. Would make for an excellent event to wear off the tire numbs. Oh and :bowdown:Steve Brady will be there Rocken the Lemon Juice High Lights. :lmao:

MountainGoat
06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm in. :headbang:

Anthony's doesn't have beer, so no way. :bawl:

Madwell's pizza is pretty good. :pirate:

Old40Dog
06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm in. :headbang:

Anthony's doesn't have beer, so no way. :bawl:

Take Dan's word on this! :beer: He's like a mile form both of them!

FJBRADY
06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I get released from the Phsyco ward on Wednesdays

Fix it for you Dr. Schlegs :drumsticks:

SRT08BUS
06-03-2010, 01:23 PM
I think this is also Bastille Day. Might have to fly a French flag.
That it is.

When I use to live by there we would get take out from them once a week, they have my vote!

Hulk
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Coney Island Hot Dog-shaped Diner - You all know all about this one.

That's the wrong direction from the end of the trail for most of our participants.

Dan,

Would you mind stopping by to talk with them? We'll have ~30 people to feed. We might arrive as early as 7:00, or it could be as late as 9:00 pm. We'd prefer to all be seated in one big area. We'll buy lots of pizza and beer, and we tip well. We just need to be on their calendar so they know we are coming, even if we are running late.

Lars
06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
i'm feeling a little cough cough sick...maybe i'll call in.

The Fresh Colorado air does wonders for both mind and body. It would be good theropy for you to go. :)

MountainGoat
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Dan,

Would you mind stopping by to talk with them? We'll have ~30 people to feed. We might arrive as early as 7:00, or it could be as late as 9:00 pm. We'd prefer to all be seated in one big area. We'll buy lots of pizza and beer, and we tip well. We just need to be on their calendar so they know we are coming, even if we are running late.

No problem Matt. I'll let you know what they say. :thumb:

SRT08BUS
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I would see if they didn't mind us eating out side with some tables in the back, I might be able to find some. I say this only because I remember it being a small place. It's been awhile since I've been up there and I thought they had an area in the back, where if we had the tables, we might be able to set up if it's property they own...or if they would let us. If not we can always find a park near by.

MountainGoat
06-03-2010, 09:13 PM
:beer:

Okay. I just talked to Tony, the owner of JJ Madwell's. He says they can definitely do ~30 people. They have patio seating that would accomodate us (weather permitting) or we could be seated inside if need be. He said they would give us a deal on the pizza as well. :thumb:

They close the kitchen at 9, but I don't think that will be an issue. Last year we hit Pier 49 well before 8pm as I recall. If we are looking like we might be late we could always send a couple of people down to get the pizza ordered. :hill:

Tony took my name and number. I told him that I'd let him know when we had a better idea of the head count. He said that would be cool and asked that we call the day of the run to confirm we are coming. Looks like we're in! :cool:

Rzeppa
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Suggest either JJ Madwells:beer:

We love Madwell's but I don't think they would have enough room for us.

[edit]

Thanks Dan!

I work in Conifer near Madwell's and Dan lives near there...their setup is split into a couple of different rooms, I never noticed outdoor seating but that would work great for us. My wife and I go there and love the place, and they do have great pizza. Since Tony is willing to accommodate us I would prefer Madwell's over Anthonie's by a bunch.

Hulk
06-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Okay. I just talked to Tony, the owner of JJ Madwell's. He says they can definitely do ~30 people. They have patio seating that would accomodate us (weather permitting) or we could be seated inside if need be. He said they would give us a deal on the pizza as well. :thumb:

They close the kitchen at 9, but I don't think that will be an issue. Last year we hit Pier 49 well before 8pm as I recall. If we are looking like we might be late we could always send a couple of people down to get the pizza ordered. :hill:

Tony took my name and number. I told him that I'd let him know when we had a better idea of the head count. He said that would be cool and asked that we call the day of the run to confirm we are coming. Looks like we're in! :cool:

Awesome, we are set. Thanks for taking care of this, Dan!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Rotorgeek
06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Cough, cough, sniffle even. I have some other things hovering in that time frame, but pencil me in.

Mendocino
06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
:beer:

If need be someone could use Autopatch on the HAM to call them and let them know about the group's arrival time and order the pizzas...:yagi:

Romer
06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
This is one of my favorite runs, assuming I am in town we are in

Jacket
06-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Same here. I almost had to leave the 40 on the trail a couple years back....

Caribou Sandstorm
06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
In!

ttubb
06-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm in, only this time I am bringing the 4Runner. I will see if I can keep from tipping THAT over! :D:D Terry

And I will stay for dinner this time, in spite of the late night drive back to Crested Butte! :beer::thumb:

MountainMan
06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
oh man, those pics make me a little sad, but happy at the same time cause you were wheeling... so conflicted...

MDH33
06-19-2010, 07:49 PM
oh man, those pics make me a little sad, but happy at the same time cause you were wheeling... so conflicted...

No worries, his 40 looks better than new now. ;)

Bikeman
06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
That obstacle is totally gone. The trail was completely bulldozed last year. The entire trail could literally be done in a Sienna minivan, including the bypass on the hillclimb. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I and Mitchell might make it this year.

Hulk
06-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Really? Wow, that's a disappointment. Anyone know why?

simps80
06-25-2010, 08:40 AM
That obstacle is totally gone. The trail was completely bulldozed last year. The entire trail could literally be done in a Sienna minivan, including the bypass on the hillclimb. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I and Mitchell might make it this year.

In a sienna!

awesome, that's my other toyota and it gets wayyyy better gas mileage than my 80, maybe I'll bowagmv then instead of bowagw :D

Jacket
06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Well that stinks. Didn't the FS do that to China Wall last year as well?

corsair23
06-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Does it seem counter productive to anyone else that they keep bulldozing trails to the point where any vehicle can drive the trail? It seems that they are trying to reduce traffic on trails yet IMO bulldozing a trail could provide the exact opposite results...Sure, maybe the 4WD folks stay away but they might just be replaced by 100s of folks in their minivans and Camrys out for a Sunday drive :confused:

rover67
06-25-2010, 10:30 AM
bummer...

that's really disssapointing.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Matt,

Are you considering a change of venue? If so, what about Coney Flats and some water crossing fun....

Hulk
06-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Hadn't really considered it. We could go do Red Cone -- that's a blast. Where is Coney Flats?

FJBRADY
06-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Hadn't really considered it. We could go do Red Cone -- that's a blast. Where is Coney Flats?

Yeah Red Cone, never done that one..........

CardinalFJ60
06-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Coney Flats is off the "freak to freak" highway, just past "weird". (aka...off the peak to peak just past Ward.

if you take (i think) FS95 ... toward the boy scout camp - it starts near beaver reservoir and loops the middle st. vrain trail back to camp dick. It's pretty close to me so I've done that one several times. it's a nice trail with a water crossing halfway through.

rover67
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Red Cone would be pretty darned fun.

Jacket
06-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Man - nobody jumped on the chance to say "Near Camp Dick" :lmao:

I'd run Red Cone or MSV/Coney. Although with all the snow this year, they may not have the gate to Red Cone open by then. I haven't heard about MSV, but seems like it usually opens by the end of June.

FJBRADY
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Man - nobody jumped on the chance to say "Near Camp Dick" :lmao:

I'd run Red Cone or MSV/Coney. Although with all the snow this year, they may not have the gate to Red Cone open by then. I haven't heard about MSV, but seems like it usually opens by the end of June.

Red Cone is open per a thread last week on CO4x4
Coney might still be closed because I thought the FS was repairing a mud hole.

Loki
06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
I heard MSV would be open on the 27th after the FS repaired the big hole at the end.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Here is the link to Coney Flats if interested..

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15

I was going to scout it out tomorrow.

Beachboy
06-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Count me in.

JadeRunner
06-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I vote for Red Cone.

ttubb
06-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I can do Red Cone, but Coney Flats is a 4.5 hour drive each way for me so I will hold off on that one. T

Caribou Sandstorm
06-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Well I wasn't sure if Matt was considering a different venue based on the news of the trail grooming..

So maybe it is still Slauterhouse gulch.

If he is thinking of a different venue, Red Cone sounds like a popular choice.

Old40Dog
06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah Red Cone, never done that one..........

Red Cone's got my vote!

MountainMan
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
cool, i think i can make this
i also have a Sienna in case we do the bulldozed trail 8)

reddy18
06-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Would yall mind if tagged along? Im from out of town and would love to wheel here!

Rezarf
06-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd be up for Coney Flats too. The Middle Saint Vrain run from Camp Dick is a great trail ride. I haven't run it the other direction. The water crossing shouldn't be bad with all the heat lately, I bet most of the snow is WAY down stream now.

If it is the MSV/Coney Flats run... I'm in.

Drew

Rzeppa
06-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Would yall mind if tagged along? Im from out of town and would love to wheel here!

Can you do our secret handshake? :eek:

Seriously, of course we wouldn't mind - you are welcome to joins us any time!

Caribou Sandstorm
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey Matt,

Thanks for explaining the idea behind why you have choosen Slaughter House Gulch trail for the Blow of work run.

I had no idea it was a bit of a tradition that you have organized over the years.

As you pointed out, it makes sense from the stand point that we can meet in the afternoon, do a run together and still have time for pizza and beer.

I will see you at the SHG trail head on the 14th!

Thanks for organizing this over the years, as well!

If you decide to pre-run it, let me know I would like to do it with you.

timmbuck2
07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
we will be there, at least part of the family. :)

red cone would be awesome...especially if SHG has been neutered...but we will go anywhere

might just have to do red cone this Sunday....

Hulk
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
The plan is still to run Slaughterhouse Gulch with Red Cone as a backup. I do plan to try to prerun the SG trail to view the condition, but if it's smooth and easy, so what? It will get harder again as it rains and gets dug out (like SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill trail in Utah). If they bulldozed it last summer, it probably has gotten harder already.

My only issue with switching to Red Cone (which is an awesome trail) is that the last time we did it, we started at 8 a.m. and wheeled for a full day. The BOWAGW run is meant to be a run where you can still work a half day, leave at lunchtime, wheel with friends, eat pizza and then be home by 10 p.m.

timmbuck2
07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
The plan is still to run Slaughterhouse Gulch with Red Cone as a backup. I do plan to try to prerun the SG trail to view the condition, but if it's smooth and easy, so what? It will get harder again as it rains and gets dug out (like SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill trail in Utah). If they bulldozed it last summer, it probably has gotten harder already.

My only issue with switching to Red Cone (which is an awesome trail) is that the last time we did it, we started at 8 a.m. and wheeled for a full day. The BOWAGW run is meant to be a run where you can still work a half day, leave at lunchtime, wheel with friends, eat pizza and then be home by 10 p.m.

good points. I might also run SG this Sunday just to check it out...

Rzeppa
07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
good points. I might also run SG this Sunday just to check it out...

I was thinking the same thing as what Matt wrote above - Red Cone is fun, but the trailhead is a lot further drive and it is a longer trail. It would be doubtful we'd get back anywhere in time for pizza, and probably wouldn't get off the trail before dark.

I was also thinking of prerunning Slaughterhouse this weekend, and was thinking of calling Dan and seeing if he would be up for it, seeing as he lives so close to the trailhead. That'd be cool if we'd all coordinate a prerun and go together.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Guys I am totally in for a pre-run if your are cool with me showing up. Just let me know what day and time.

rover67
07-01-2010, 06:15 PM
YEah red cone would take all dang day. but it would be fun. I think starting at noon might be pushing it though.

maybe i'll do red cone this weekend :D

Caribou Sandstorm
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
hmm RC this weekend

corsair23
07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
If you decide to pre-run it, let me know I would like to do it with you.

Guys I am totally in for a pre-run if your are cool with me showing up. Just let me know what day and time.

hmm RC this weekend

If I didn't know better, I'd say Chris has an itch to get out wheeling and needs some help scratching said itch....:lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
What better way to baby sit a 3 year old and his kid sister of 1.5 years..while mom gets her hair done....:)

MountainGoat
07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I was also thinking of prerunning Slaughterhouse this weekend, and was thinking of calling Dan and seeing if he would be up for it, seeing as he lives so close to the trailhead.

Sorry Jeff, I'm camping this weekend up by Crystal Mtn/Moody Hill with fireworks on Loveland Res Sunday. I could sneak up to SHG this afternoon, though, so if you (or anyone else) wants to come give me a call. three o 3 eight98 5one ate one.

Rzeppa
07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Sorry Jeff, I'm camping this weekend up by Crystal Mtn/Moody Hill with fireworks on Loveland Res Sunday. I could sneak up to SHG this afternoon, though, so if you (or anyone else) wants to come give me a call. three o 3 eight98 5one ate one.

Hi Dan, got your phone message when I got home from work this evening. I'm still up for a pre-run on Slaughterhouse. Timm? Anyone else?

Old40Dog
07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi Dan, got your phone message when I got home from work this evening. I'm still up for a pre-run on Slaughterhouse. Timm? Anyone else?

Jeff, I'm up for Sunday if that's the day you're thinking about!

Rzeppa
07-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Dave and I are going to meet at the old Safeway center at 10 tomorrow for a pre-run. Anyone else wants to join us feel free!

RicardoJM
07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Dave and I are going to meet at the old Safeway center at 10 tomorrow for a pre-run. Anyone else wants to join us feel free!

Sounds like too good a time to pass up. I'll see you guys there.

Hulk
07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks, guys. The run is confirmed for Slaughterhouse Gulch!

John
07-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I will definitely be in, Friday am heading up to Marble etc.

Bikeman
07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Mitchell and I are in!

cajunrock
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
CajunRock(George) is in with the kids:Princess: and dog!:puppykisses:

RicardoJM
07-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm in - just plowing through the thread there are 23 rigs that have indicated they are in. Shaping up to be a large run.

Romer
07-10-2010, 07:52 PM
The Romer's are in, thats 3 rigs.

Old40Dog
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm in - just plowing through the thread there are 23 rigs that have indicated they are in. Shaping up to be a large run.

Global output will definitely be impacted Wednesday afternoon! :lmao:

Should be a fun and good day to escape some city heat too :thumb: and an excellent excuse to have a :beer: afterwards with friends! :)

MDJ
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Iím in! This will be my first run is there anything I should bring?

Hulk
07-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Off the top of my head:

1. If there is any part of your rig that has been acting sketchy, bring along a replacement. If your rig breaks down on the trail, and we have the part, we can make a quick trail repair.

2. Warm clothing and a rain jacket for each person in your rig. Better to be prepared and not need it than the reverse.

3. Water and snacks.

4. Camera if you want one.

5. Rudimentary tools.

6. CB radio if you have one.

7. Decent shoes. These can be running shoes, hiking boots or even Tevas. I just highly don't recommend wearing flip flops for you or your passengers.

Beachboy
07-12-2010, 08:09 PM
How far (time wise) is it to the meeting place after you turn off C470 to 285. Thanks.

MDJ
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Off the top of my head:

1. If there is any part of your rig that has been acting sketchy, bring along a replacement. If your rig breaks down on the trail, and we have the part, we can make a quick trail repair.

2. Warm clothing and a rain jacket for each person in your rig. Better to be prepared and not need it than the reverse.

3. Water and snacks.

4. Camera if you want one.

5. Rudimentary tools.

6. CB radio if you have one.

7. Decent shoes. These can be running shoes, hiking boots or even Tevas. I just highly don't recommend wearing flip flops for you or your passengers.

Thanks for the info I will see you Wednesday.

MountainGoat
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
How far (time wise) is it to the meeting place after you turn off C470 to 285. Thanks.

About 15 minutes.

nicholasandrews
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi Guys! I would like to come with you on the 14th if that's ok. I know I met some of you at the meeting last week, but this will be my first event so I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the group. See you at the king soopers on wednesday!!

RockRunner
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM

A sense of humor and patience, 23 rigs makes for some down time ;)

RicardoJM
07-14-2010, 06:59 AM

I'm out:( for today - you guys and gals have a good time:D.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-14-2010, 07:00 AM
I am out today. Too much work going on.

Romer
07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
The Romer caravan of 3 trucks will be there

ttubb
07-14-2010, 07:36 AM
I am out today. Too much work going on.

We will miss you. See you at the FJ Summit next week. T

rover67
07-14-2010, 07:40 AM
you guys have fun! I have stuff I can't get out of today...

nattybumppo
07-14-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm out too. That stomach bug has me flattened. Have a great run.

Hulk
07-14-2010, 08:48 AM
See you guys at 1:00 at the King Soopers parking lot. Sorry top hear a few cannot make it.