PDA

View Full Version : Moab

nakman
05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Our club needs its own trip report thread. First off, I was totally impressed with our club, and the effort of the CM committee... that job starts before 7 each day, and doesn't finish until well after 7 each night, most times closer to 9 or 10. I was also reminded about the awesome tech abilities we have in the club, and their willingness to help out others. So during the course of the week I ran porkypine rim, fins, poison spider, kane creek, and wipeout hill. Oh, and baby lion's back, if that counts. Also went to City Market twice, that Shell gas station 3x, had Mexican for lunch on Wednesday (forget the name of the place) and ate at the Bar-M on Friday night. rest of my meals were all at the camp site, or out on the trail, best meal of the week was by far the deep fried turkey dinner led by Kevin Kuhn.

Ok, on with the pics:

first one is Mary driving PurpleTaco, followed by Neil who was tail gunner that day. Also another one of Mary coming down "diving board" on fins, snapshot of Ken & daughter Sarah at the overlook on Wipeout Hill yesterday, plus a couple wagon pictures of yesterday's wipeout hill run as well. My other "roll" of pictures is on Hulk's laptop, so those are the best that I have, for now. I do have about 30 minutes of video though, some good stuff too. I will bring that to the RS meeting next time for sure. thanks again everyone for coming out, it was awesome to see so many RS people there, and witness how everyone pitched in to help put on such an awesome event. I heard feedback from many folks that the event this year was really well done. :bowdown: :clap:

So

nakman
05-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah, the roast I cooked while out on fins was done perfectly, 145 internal temp. forgot my cutting board though, and knife, luckily Neil's brother Craig had a knife I could borrow..

Romer
05-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Tim on Wipeout Hill

Romer
05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Me on Wipeout Hill

Romer
05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Nathanial Miller on Wipeout

Romer
05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Daniel M on Wipeout Hill

Romer
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Dave Brown on Wipeout Hill

Romer
05-07-2006, 08:10 PM
And can't forget. "Come to Cruise Moab 2007, and have your trail leader (Ige) fix your rig when it brakes down." or "Come to Cruise Moab and Meet Ige"

Beater
05-07-2006, 08:14 PM
just got back home. Only passed treeroot once on the way home. Had a great time. I don't have all my pictures ready for the web, but I thought that this once is in the running for best pic of the event. from cliffhanger on 5/4 oh and for perspective, those are 37's on that taco.

Rzeppa
05-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Copilot Josh waits to be unbuckled in camp

Rzeppa
05-07-2006, 09:46 PM
A lot of perma-grins going around!

Rzeppa
05-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Got FJ?

Chris
05-08-2006, 10:00 AM
A lot of perma-grins going around!

It's Monday and back at work and the perma-grin remains. :D

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Chris-

I have a lot of good pics of you, send me your email and I will shoot them over sometime this week. Actually, send your mailing address and I will just burn them on a CD for you.

Barbs face coming off the diving board when Jeff spotted us at the bottom is PRICELESS!

..."are there any kids around?"

:lmao:

Drew

IanB
05-08-2006, 11:03 AM
This thread is useless without more pics...

SAShimiTaco
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Great seeing all the Rising Sun gang again. Was a great time wheeling with you and you put together another awesome event. I have 100+ pictures loaded on Webshots. Here is the link - Jason

Jason's Moab Pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/550085242IgBcFh)

IanB
05-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I have 100+ pictures loaded on Webshots. Here is the link - Jason

Thanks!! :thumb:

Rzeppa
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Chris-

I have a lot of good pics of you, send me your email and I will shoot them over sometime this week. Actually, send your mailing address and I will just burn them on a CD for you.

Barbs face coming off the diving board when Jeff spotted us at the bottom is PRICELESS!

DrewWhy not at least resize a sampling and post 'em up here?

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I will have time to mess with the pics tonight!

We got some good ones of you captain leader Zepp on fins!

Drew

Three Wheel Ben
05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Here are some of the ones I have - not edited so some aren't so great.

link - http://photoshow.comcast.net/b.ashcraft
ben

Chris
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey Drew-

It was fun follwing you on Fins & Things. We had a bit of camera trouble but still got some good ones of you.

I'm sure Barb's happy nobody was able to see or hear her as she watched you fade from view in front of us. :lmao:

You've got a PM :)

Chris-

Drew

Bobzooki
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, that sure was fun!

I got ZERO pics!!! I suck at the photo-journaling!

Thanks for a great week folks. That was so much better than any stinking EJS trip I have made!

nakman
05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
check out the Poison Spider gallery (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=514) for videos of Ben, Gary, and Bobzooki driving down the wedgie..

Also see the Kane Creek (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=512) gallery for footage of the Purpletaco getting up the waterfall obstacle, and you can see Voodoogirl in her FJ driving up an obstacle on Fins (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=516) . Be sure to see Wes put on a clinic as he pilots his BJ70 up the waterfall on Kane Creek (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=512) .. very well done. :cheers:

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Checking my resize size.

Inukshuk
05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm going to organize my photos & video too but Wipe-Out Hill was a highlight and since Tim got me down safely :bowdown: here is a great shot of him:

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Here are some of Chris and Barb in Emily...

Great driving Chris, you really handled that long stock vehicle well! :cheers:

One funny thing was, I could always tell when you made it off an obstacle by the scraping noise! :D

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 09:51 PM
oops forgot to attach...

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Romer with ROD driving on fins... our lunch spot on metal masher... and one of my 40 on metal masher... and a sweet pic of two fjcruisers on Fins.

Thanks so much you guys and gals who put this on, this was my first ever TLCA event and I will be back next year for sure!

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Our fearless and very cool leader on Fins 'n Things... Mr. Zepp... thanks so much Jeff you helped us have a great day!

My buddy Isaac climbing at Fins with Romer in the background, I cant believe I could stick that well to the rocks it is amazing!

Peter and then Eric at Rock Chucker on Metal Masher... they both made it! It was really sweet to see those lumbering 80's climb like big horn sheep...

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
A view of the ledge on Metal Masher... yep that is a road down there on the right... the little white squiggly line, and I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The ride home over Vail Pass... ahh desert in the morning, snow before lunch... its good to be alive!

Drew

Shark Bait
05-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Nice pics Drew!!

Rezarf
05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks Chris!

I was never close enough to you to get some shots of your 55 on masher... sorry bout that.

Thanks so much for leading and letting us play on every little rock we passed by!

Great folks and great event!

Drew

El Flaco
05-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, for my first Cruise Moab Id have to say it was a success by all accounts. We had an awesome time all three days of wheeling and an equally fun time making friends and eating Ramen back at the camp. Did Fins n things on Thursday, Cliff Hanger on Friday and Kane Creek on Saturday. Only had to pull out the strap once on Friday over the first section after the creek crossing. I thing Green Machine really enjoyed pulling me out of that mess, but thats another story. :) Otherwise made it thhrough everything succesfully. I did manage to realingn my front end a bit slamming into 18" steps with the 33s, but nothing a little Hysteer kit cant repair. Cant thank our club enough for all the hard work put into making this event a success. Look forward to next year and I will post my pics as soon as possible.

waggoner5
05-09-2006, 07:24 AM
I just wanted to take a minute and thank you guys for putting on once again, the premier event for us LC junkies. I enjoyed the wheeling and everyones company. We will be in your area this summer and will need a fix again, so be ready.
Gary and family.

nuclearlemon
05-09-2006, 08:03 AM
I just wanted to take a minute and thank you guys for putting on once again, the premier event for us LC junkies. I enjoyed the wheeling and everyones company. We will be in your area this summer and will need a fix again, so be ready.
Gary and family.
only if you have a crappy rusty bezel :D

Three Wheel Ben
05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Gary and family.

Madi will be glad to hear that

ben

wesintl
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
only if you have a crappy rusty bezel :D

Speaking of which are there pics?

Rzeppa
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Gary and family.You're quite welcome, and we always love having you, Kelly and Shelby! Don't forget, the Rally is August 20th, and we'll be hosting trail runs Saturday the 19th.

Happy cruisin'!

Rezarf
05-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Chris-

I have tried 4 times to reply to your PM, my computer freezes each time. I will get you the photos in Friday... that is when my hard copies come back from the developer.

I would love any shots you have of me on Fins...

you can send them to me at

Thanks man!

Uncle Ben
05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Just got a call from Kevin. He made it home to Alberta about 4am this morning! He's OK and luckily has streak of bad luck was confined to Moab Rim! He wanted to thank all for everything and he'll post on the forum when he gets a chance. :thumb: :wav:

Chris
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Here are some of Chris and Barb in Emily...

Great driving Chris, you really handled that long stock vehicle well! :cheers:

One funny thing was, I could always tell when you made it off an obstacle by the scraping noise! :D

Thanks Drew - Yeah, really grateful for the rear hitch :eek:

I decided it was best to learn how to drive it stock before making any mods. Now that I see how it handles a few mods come to mind. First I have to repair the damage: Popped bumper end cap, crushed tailpipe and tweaked passenger mirror. Not too bad for that long, low slung 62 of mine :D

Chris
05-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Chris-

I have tried 4 times to reply to your PM, my computer freezes each time. I will get you the photos in Friday... that is when my hard copies come back from the developer.

I would love any shots you have of me on Fins...

you can send them to me <snip>

Thanks man!

Okay, I'll send them tonight when I get a chance. Your connection fast enough to handle full size or should I reduce them a bit?

Can you send me the ones you have of Emily on CD?

Chris

Rezarf
05-09-2006, 03:09 PM
As big as you can get em to me... I will be sending you CD as soon as I get it all together.

Thanks Chris!

Drew <><

Uncle Ben
05-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Just got a couple teaser pics from Dave Zartman from my Golden Spike run.....here is one of me crossing the big gap of the Golden Crack and the other is me starting up Double Wammy...cool!

Hulk
05-09-2006, 03:25 PM
So, how'd ya like the 80 in Moab? I had fun this year in mine, but I also kind of missed my 40.

Uncle Ben
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
So, how'd ya like the 80 in Moab? I had fun this year in mine, but I also kind of missed my 40.

Two sides of the story...

One, like you, I really missed the 40! Especially watching Treeroot and Bustanutley stretching out on obsticles! The other side of that coin is the 80 did EVERYTHING I asked of it with ease! Best part of the day Sunday on one of my 6 trips :eek: through Gold Bar trying to get Big Blue 40 back together was a couple of older J**p guys actually stood on the trail stopping me from going in and warned me that it was very rough terrain back there and if I choose to go on back I probably wouldn't be able to get back out! :lmao: :lmao: I guess its one of those things I wouldn't understand! :lmao: :lmao: :Princess: :hill:

Hulk
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Best part of the day Sunday on one of my 6 trips !:eek: through Gold Bar trying to get Big Blue 40 back together was a couple of older J**p guys actually stood on the trail stopping me from going in and warned me that it was very rough terrain back there and if I choose to go on back I probably wouldn't be able to get back out! :lmao: :lmao: I guess its one of those things I wouldn't understand! :lmao: :lmao: :Princess: :hill:

Awww, how cute! What a bunch of nice, delusional guys. :lmao:Great story.

What time was Kevin finally back in motion? Boy, he had some breakage this year. I think he'd be deserving of "The Order of the Ring of Misfortune" if he was a RS member. :D

Uncle Ben
05-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Awww, how cute! What a bunch of nice, delusional guys. :lmao:Great story.

What time was Kevin finally back in motion? Boy, he had some breakage this year. I think he'd be deserving of "The Order of the Ring of Misfortune" if he was a RS member. :D

We rolled into Spanish Trail around 4:30pm Sunday. I have had a trail fix on nearly everypart of a Cruiser at one time or another but this one kicked my arse. It wasn't a difficult task just bad karma! Gold Bar Rim definately had it in for poor Kevin! I asked him if he thanked Gooney Bird the first time he had safe passage and he said no....I think the bird was determined to make an example of poor Kevins disrespect! Lesson learned....ALWAY pay respect to Gooney Bird as you pass his feet! :eek: :flamingo:

wesintl
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Boy, he had some breakage this year. I think he'd be deserving of "The Order of the Ring of Misfortune" if he was a RS member. :D

I don't think any RS member really broke did they? :confused:

I definatly vote kevin honerary member so we can give him the ring of misfortune. :o

I think he deep fried the gooney bird :( and I missed it.

Shark Bait
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
You Rock, Kevin! That was very nice of you to stick it out and help Kevin get off the trail. We should have some sort of special award for you. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
You Rock, Kevin! That was very nice of you to stick it out and help Kevin get off the trail. We should have some sort of special award for you. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumb:

I will not go there. PLEASE do not give me credit for doing what was my responsibility! I'm not ready to talk about this right now. I guess I'm too old school still. When someone breaks on a trail you help them out. When someone in your club (team) is helping someone get off the trail others in that team (club) help by supporting. That is the way I learned to wheel, that is the way I DO wheel and consiquently that is what I expect from others I wheel with! I did have some great support from several folks whom I never had any doubts would be there for me. There is a reason I chose my spotter for that run and it was also refreshing to have Cheeseman ping me on the CB earlier and also Sharkbait later pinged me....thats what it's all about! We will talk about this and relearn some things that made Rising Sun the great club it is. It is us "Old Schoolers" responsibility to teach those following in our steps what really makes Rising Sun the club we are proud of! :thumb: :cheers:

Edited: Never meant to make anyone feel like they didn't help out.....not even the issue! I have no regrets and in fact I would do it all the same again! :risingsun

Hulk
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Mmmm. Sorry to hear you didn't get the full support team. During my tool packing, I remember looking at my cordless drill and thinking, "Do I need to take this?" and deciding not to (and I brought three boxes of tools).

Shark Bait
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I know I tried real hard after I spoke with Kevin Saturday. Andre Shoumatoff had a large pattern knuckle, but no arm. The Llama had both knuckles intact after the roll-over, but it had some kind of funky hi-steer setup. Dead end. We asked all over both Spanish Trail and KOA, but it was tough. A lot of people had left or were leaving. If it had happened Thursday or Friday I'm sure there would have been more parts and tool resources available. It would be way cool if we could plan for some contingincies for situations like this. I know I may try and find some spare knuckles and hardware now, for myself, because of this.

Rzeppa
05-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Kevin, was the knuckle kit useful in the repair job?

Obviously Saturday was too late but Kevin Kuhn richly deserved the 8-ball. Glad to hear he made it home okay. And THANK YOU for helping him out. That was way above and beyond, but as you wrote, that's what we are about. I would have been happy to help out if it weren't for my own mechanical issues. I am looking at an engine rebuild right now, but fortunately Matt (Lewis) and I limped home under our own power.

Uncle Ben
05-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Kevin, was the knuckle kit useful in the repair job?

Obviously Saturday was too late but Kevin Kuhn richly deserved the 8-ball. Glad to hear he made it home okay. And THANK YOU for helping him out. That was way above and beyond, but as you wrote, that's what we are about. I would have been happy to help out if it weren't for my own mechanical issues. I am looking at an engine rebuild right now, but fortunately Matt (Lewis) and I limped home under our own power.

Yes, we did use it Jeff, THANK YOU! It will all be replaced, that I can promise! :thumb:

nuclearlemon
05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't think any RS member really broke did they? :confused:
fuel issues, electrical issues, clutch issues and a new alternator.... :(

i don't think the 40 will ever see utah again

treerootCO
05-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Damn it, now I feel even worse, I knew I should have gone back up. I went around camp to find out if everything went ok before I left. The last I heard is the knuckle we found didn't work becasue the studs were 12mm but the pattern wasn't correct. Maybe a small pattern knuckle was drilled out for larger studs? Kim was heading back up with a drill to drill out the steering arm and that should have been it. I asked around in camp for your number Kevin because it didn't come across when you called and couldn't find it. Robbie's wife had it so I left her a message. We tried you on the CB on both channel 7 and 4. I wasn't sure what to do and I feel really bad about not going back up to check. If you felt let down by me, I won't let it happen again. I have been on the other end before and I know how it feels.

Uncle Ben
05-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Damn it, now I feel even worse, I knew I should have gone back up. I went around camp to find out if everything went ok before I left. The last I heard is the knuckle we found didn't work becasue the studs were 12mm but the pattern wasn't correct. Maybe a small pattern knuckle was drilled out for larger studs? Kim was heading back up with a drill to drill out the steering arm and that should have been it. I asked around in camp for your number Kevin because it didn't come across when you called and couldn't find it. Robbie's wife had it so I left her a message. We tried you on the CB on both channel 7 and 4. I wasn't sure what to do and I feel really bad about not going back up to check. If you felt let down by me, I won't let it happen again. I have been on the other end before and I know how it feels.

I typed a huge response including play by play of Saturday. It didn't get posted and locked up my comp this morning when I tried to send it. Bummer! I will retype soon as I owe it to all after voicing my frustrations so vaguely. NO Mike, you did not let me down....in fact you went above and beyond as I knew you would! I have to get to work now but I will attempt later to clean up what I started. NO ONE LET ME DOWN personally! I will clarify later. Hopefully this posts..... :rolleyes:

Kipper
05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Nathanial Miller on Wipeout

Is that a for sale sign in the window? Nathaniel, did you get your truck fixed and rolling smoothly? I kept my spare around all week, and felt bad when Dan called me as I was rolling over Vail pass Saturday afternoon saying that you needed one. :eek:

...time for that rear disk brake conversion

bh4rnnr
05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I typed a huge response including play by play of Saturday. It didn't get posted and locked up my comp this morning when I tried to send it. Bummer! I will retype soon as I owe it to all after voicing my frustrations so vaguely. NO Mike, you did not let me down....in fact you went above and beyond as I knew you would! I have to get to work now but I will attempt later to clean up what I started. NO ONE LET ME DOWN personally! I will clarify later. Hopefully this posts..... :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben, talked with Ben(whome had the spare). Give me a call when you get a chance :beer:

Groucho
05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Is that a for sale sign in the window? Nathaniel, did you get your truck fixed and rolling smoothly? I kept my spare around all week, and felt bad when Dan called me as I was rolling over Vail pass Saturday afternoon saying that you needed one. :eek:

...time for that rear disk brake conversion

Yes, a for sale sign is in the window. Long story.

It wasn't me!! Friends of my sister (and future bro-n-law), tried to go UP wipeout-hill with a 60 almost identical to mine. EXACTLY the same break in the long side axle. Problem was, he couldn't be moved w/o the axle walking out too far b/c of where he was. Had to do it all on the hill.

We looked all over town for someone with a spare, no luck. So I got suckered into letting my 60 be cannibalized for a spare axle just to get him off the trail. Pulled my axle out at camp @ 5pm. Put it back in (not able to drive cause was out of adjustment) at 4 am. Luckily, I wasn't in on helping out at the trail, just at camp. Deja Vu! Still lost a lot of sleep.

Got him back on the road, Slee got him a space on the trailer, and my 60 got trailered home as well.

So now my 60 is in the garage with front wheel drive only b/c I removed the driveshaft in order to spare problems with the out of adjustment 3rd member. The guy who used my axle is already lining up the readjustment of the 3rd member to get her back on the road.

Rzeppa
05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
EXACTLY the same break in the long side axle. Problem was, he couldn't be moved w/o the axle walking out too far b/c of where he was. Had to do it all on the hill.

We looked all over town for someone with a spare, no luck. So I got suckered into letting my 60 be cannibalized for a spare axle just to get him off the trail. Pulled my axle out at camp @ 5pm. Put it back in (not able to drive cause was out of adjustment) at 4 am. Luckily, I wasn't in on helping out at the trail, just at camp. Deja Vu! Still lost a lot of sleep.

Got him back on the road, Slee got him a space on the trailer, and my 60 got trailered home as well.

So now my 60 is in the garage with front wheel drive only b/c I removed the driveshaft in order to spare problems with the out of adjustment 3rd member. The guy who used my axle is already lining up the readjustment of the 3rd member to get her back on the road.Darn! I had spare 40 axles at my camp, but only the short side would have fit a 60, the long side would have been...too short. :-(

Convert
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Groucho
Hope the jack stands helped :confused: Would have helped more, thought things were under control.
Dan

bigbluefj
05-11-2006, 01:10 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :canada: :risingsun

Well after a 20 hour drive to Canada i got home at 4am on tuesday i don't know how to start thanking everyone who helped me, i was overwhelmed by everything that happen, i broke down when we got back to camp on sunday evening i was in tear's as i could not conprehend what happen to me this week i made sure before leaving for cm 06 that the rig would be in top shape for the event i don't know what to say but thank you to every on that helped me if i leave any one out i'm sorry to start there's IGE when we broke the pinion she jumped right in and just started tearing thing's apart and when we got in to camp she pointed me in the right direction in takeing my diff apart as i have never done any thing like that before thank you IGE. BEN and BILL i was told by various people that i've had the two best people in camp helping me tear apart and reinstall the ring an pinion and set it up to be perfect by hand thank you guy's, JEFF donated his knuckel kit to the cause that he won on friday night, BEN from slee i believe he had the knuckel that we used to get the truck off the trail, KEVIN where to start he save my ass twice in one week first he had the ring and pinion that we needed and then when we broke on the trail on golden spike/gold bar rim trail's he did everything in his power to get me home on sat night with the trail fix's that we tried but we had to leave the truck at butt scratcher and to return to it in the morning only to find we could not make it out with what we had in our posesion so he modifed the steering arm to work with the knuckel we had after various trip's out to the trail head we got the truck moible and back to camp i owe every one so big if i have taken parts or order parts or any thing from any one please bear with me and i'll get thing's sorted out hear and get every one repaid or replaced when i can thank you all again as one man once said I'LL BE BACK i have the part's list in my head already ...

kevin

Groucho
05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Groucho
Hope the jack stands helped :confused: Would have helped more, thought things were under control.
Dan

No worries. They were very needed. We got a lot of help from folks trying to get both myself (to avoid using my axle) and dustin, the other 60 guy, an axle to get him going. Nakman got us started on info for Kipper and others to get parts, Ige and Daniel scoured both campsites, Chris H and Bob helped by checking folks as they got to camp, Paul May (wasatch cruisers)did some looking, Cheeseman got us in contact with a couple possibilities, almost had an axle from Joe C as well as Proffitts. Everybody did a little bit, so we didn't have to do so much. So to all--THANKS! :thumb: :beer: :robbie: :beer2: :risingsun

Beater
05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
ok, I will get this into the gallery someday, but until then:

cliffhanger friday (http://media.putfile.com/cliff-hanger-friday)

kane creek saturday (http://media.putfile.com/kane-creek-Saturday)

moab rim saturday (http://media.putfile.com/kane-creek-Saturday)

Kipper
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I think next year, I'll volunteer to be the guy that sits in camp with all the spares everday and waits for someone to radio in for parts, welder, air tools, etc, and deliver whatever is needed, where ever it is needed.

Uncle Ben
05-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I think next year, I'll volunteer to be the guy that sits in camp with all the spares everday and waits for someone to radio in for parts, welder, air tools, etc, and deliver whatever is needed, where ever it is needed. That could be kinda fun except it probably would be wise to stay sober during that time. :rolleyes: :bowdown: :flamingo: :confused: :kipper:

Hulk
05-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Chris Hatfield and I were talking about this. Maybe we would have one RS member per day assigned to be the main contact for any accidents, breakage, etc. We could even have a place to store spare parts (long side 60 axles anyone?)

Kipper
05-11-2006, 04:13 PM
stay sober during that time

that would make it a very difficult job, but the offer still stands. I could even have spare steamed milk and suger for 80 owners. :homer: :weld:

Uncle Ben
05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Chris Hatfield and I were talking about this. Maybe we would have one RS member per day assigned to be the main contact for any accidents, breakage, etc. We could even have a place to store spare parts (long side 60 axles anyone?)

That's what I'm talking about! I plan on donating several parts to CM for the future. If we all did it we would have a great supply and an easy way for folks to find stuff. Also, someone (Nakman?) had a brainstorn or inventorying what parts other folks brought with them. That would REALLY help!

Uncle Ben
05-11-2006, 04:22 PM
that would make it a very difficult job, but the offer still stands. I could even have spare steamed milk and suger for 80 owners. :homer: :weld:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bowdown: http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/images/smilies/chef.gif

nakman
05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Also, someone (Nakman?) had a brainstorn or inventorying what parts other folks brought with them. That would REALLY help!
Right, the idea was everyone would "turn in" their spare spares to the trailer, to be inventoried (maybe in exchange for a free gift or something?) but then trail leaders would get an inventory of what parts were available, so they'd be able to decide to send someone back, or limp something out, or leave it, etc. A benefit for loaning your spares is if someone uses it they buy you a new one, perhaps. Needs to be ironed out a little, but the idea could work well I think... :birf:

Rezarf
05-12-2006, 09:38 AM
This could be a sweet deal. Maybe a bit chaotic but would sure help when it comes to crunch time.

Drew

Rzeppa
05-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Right, the idea was everyone would "turn in" their spare spares to the trailer, to be inventoried (maybe in exchange for a free gift or something?) but then trail leaders would get an inventory of what parts were available, so they'd be able to decide to send someone back, or limp something out, or leave it, etc. A benefit for loaning your spares is if someone uses it they buy you a new one, perhaps. Needs to be ironed out a little, but the idea could work well I think... :birf:I remember we had talked about it prior to the event, and I was intending to drop off the axles that Kevin brought me (thanks Kevin!). When I found out that no one else was leaving their spares in the trailer, I just left them in my camp.

Spares I normally carry in my rig:

Birf
Coil
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Distributor
Lock Right

New addition this year:

Tie rod ends

3rd member, axles and driveshafts are kinda big to carry on the trail, I figure they're more like "send somebody back to camp" type items.

IanB
05-13-2006, 04:23 PM

This year I stayed in camp with a large supply of spare cold :beer:, just in case. I got your back. :lmao:

subzali
05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
3rd member, axles and driveshafts are kinda big to carry on the trail, I figure they're more like "send somebody back to camp" type items.

I don't know, what with all the axles that have been breaking lately, might not be a bad idea to carry them with, I guess the only downside is you really need to have all four shafts to be covered! :eek: . Maybe you could get by with just the rears and hope the birfs break before the front inners do? :confused:

Let's see, two 60 series rears (long side right?) have broken recently, and Farr broke which side last year? Was that long side too?

nuclearlemon
05-14-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't know, what with all the axles that have been breaking lately, might not be a bad idea to carry them with, I guess the only downside is you really need to have all four shafts to be covered! :eek: . Maybe you could get by with just the rears and hope the birfs break before the front inners do? :confused:

Let's see, two 60 series rears (long side right?) have broken recently, and Farr broke which side last year? Was that long side too?
long sides are more apt to break with the torque.

wesintl
05-14-2006, 07:58 AM
This year I carried every inner axle part except for the long side and I had that sitting at camp.

No knuckle or 4.88's though :(

Uncle Ben
05-14-2006, 08:14 AM
long sides are more apt to break with the torque.

Correct. There is also a growing trend lately it seems. The long sides constant torque loading and unloading is showing it's stress on these 200k + mile axles! :eek:

bigbluefj
05-14-2006, 12:11 PM
i brought a rear axle with me because of seeing what matt did to his last year i thought i should bring that just in case but i broke everything i didn't have so i have a new parts list for next year stuff to bring with me to cm07 i will start collecting very soon ...

kevin (bigbluefj)

Beater
05-15-2006, 11:41 AM
well good thing came of all the breakage this year. I have been given permission to get a mobile welder!

Red_Chili
05-16-2006, 08:17 AM
[Napoleon] Gooosssh.... luckeeeeeeee!!!!

Hulk
05-16-2006, 11:01 AM

Mine was long side too, on a 40 (shorter long side than a 60 axle). I figure I did 90% of the damage hammering my 40 on the Father's Day Spring Creek run two years ago, and finished stressing it to the point of breakage in Moab last year.

nakman
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
I figure I did 90% of the damage hammering my 40 on the Father's Day Spring Creek run two years ago, and finished stressing it to the point of breakage in Moab last year.

Wasn't that the same run where you broke your spring pin in front, that had to be fixed prior to that year's night run? A lot of us are happy you've made the switch to coils & full floaters.. :D :lmao:

Hulk
05-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I really pushed the 40 that year. I needed lower gears and bigger tires to do the stuff that I wanted to do (not that I let that stop me). Now that the 80 is built to a similar point as my 40, I figure I can start going bigger on the 40, and make it a true trail-dedicated rig. I wonder how far back I need to move the rear axle to fit a Marlin Toybox? :D

wesintl
05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd be interested in your t-case :)

Hulk
05-16-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd be interested in your t-case :)

Unless I did an Orion, I'd still be using it. I'd love to have the dual sticks.

Rzeppa
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Unless I did an Orion, I'd still be using it.Orions require using many of the parts from your current t-case. Front and rear output shafts, nose cone, inspection covers, and either PTO gear or spacer. Their online catalog says that as of July 2005 they will be offering complete Orions, but they are nowhere to be found in the price list - vaporware like the original Orion :-)

wesintl
05-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Unless I did an Orion, I'd still be using it. I'd love to have the dual sticks.

we'll i didn't know if you wanted the marks gears and the marlin. I've heard that it limits your low range options. you'd be real low all the time. I have a good case + $

bigbluefj
05-19-2006, 11:55 PM
here's a few shot's of the truck when it was working also a few other's

Shark Bait
05-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Orions require using many of the parts from your current t-case. Front and rear output shafts, nose cone, inspection covers, and either PTO gear or spacer. Their online catalog says that as of July 2005 they will be offering complete Orions, but they are nowhere to be found in the price list - vaporware like the original Orion :-)

Except, does't Matt have a split t-case? If so, I think he'd need an older one. Either a 3-speed or 4-speed case, just for the gears. They seemed to have had more problems with the 3-speed guts from what I've heard. :blah: :hill:

Rzeppa
05-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Except, does't Matt have a split t-case? If so, I think he'd need an older one. Either a 3-speed or 4-speed case, just for the gears. They seemed to have had more problems with the 3-speed guts from what I've heard. :blah: :hill:Indeed he does, but according to the AA web site, they are saying that his parts will work with the Orion. And yes, I heard of a lot of problems with the Orion popping out of gear on the early units. Hopefully they've got those early bugs worked out by now. But the gears are supplied with the Orion kit, only the output shafts and nose cone are re-used, along with a few other bits.

treerootCO
05-20-2006, 11:16 AM
The neutral issue has been resolved.