PDA

View Full Version : Rollins Pass on the fly....

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Sunday, June 6, 2010, I finally was able to get up to Rollins Pass to see how far the snow receeded. Ige and I had went up after a NSTBC a moth ago and the snow was 2-3' deep just after East Portal and got deeper as we climbed. Yesterday the main road was very dry and very crowded. I figured it would still be drifted shut on one of the narrow chutes further up but other than a few hidden patches of snow under the trees the road was clear of any trace of snow. I drove up to the Jenny creek turnoff and was starting to be a little bummed out that I wasn't the first one to break trail this year as I have been for the last several years. My disappointment faded when the famous Jenny Creek Drift was still un-scared and standing proud!

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Wooo Hoooooo! I dropped air pressure down to 2psi and drove up and over! I did get a tad sideways in the middle but a gentle back up and hammer down in 3rd low cleared the second crest with laughter! :thumb::thumb: The trail had several bank drifts and two of them caused some pucker factor but I have learned that the current morph of WR seems to like to stay on the tire side quite well....whew! I broke many mini drifts (2-3') and stopped at the campsite at the creek crossing for lunch with Otis (our dog). Creek is ripping!

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I crossed the creek with water 3/4's of the way up my wheels and strong current slipping me sideways in a couple places! The trail was a kick in the pants with perfect snow drifts! The noise of rushing water when in the creek in the submerged road sections is deafining! The first real challenge was the same as last year and that is the furthest west creek bank as you finnally climb out the last time. The drift was only 3-4' deep but it is about 12' long and climbing out the steep back kills any chance at momentum. That took me about 6 trys till the front tires finally grabbed dirt and pulled me through. I might add my front winch and grill were packed with snow. :eek: I had a blast and the snow was all mini drifts with a few off camber bank drifts to keep my attention. I finally got up to "Treeroots Birfield shadetree garage" (about a 1/4 to 1/3 mile past the cabin ruins) and stopped I figured I would leave the primo drifts ahead for the next trip!

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I was eager to go the last couple weekends because as you can probably tell WR body work is done and it's time to pull it apart and strip the last of the front clip paint, wet sand off the rattle can work primer and finally spray real primer and pigment! :thumb::thumb: This last pic can be the "before" pic to the next one in a couple weeks.......

Kenon698
06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
FANTASTIC, UB. I am envious.

AxleIke
06-07-2010, 07:06 PM
SAWEETT!!!

Loving the pics!

Looks like a great time, can't wait to get out there!

wesintl
06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I didn't know it was a j33p run:brick:

:D

MDH33
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for posting the report. Looks like fun. :thumb:

When do you think we shold schedule a Jenny Creek work day? :beer:

rover67
06-07-2010, 10:07 PM
schweet!

Looks like a lot of fun man, glad you got out!

Uncle Ben
06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I didn't know it was a j33p run:brick:

:D

More USDM Toyota on my "shorty" than on yours Bucko! :p:

Blackdiamond72
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
When do you think we shold schedule a Jenny Creek work day? :beer:

I think we are at least 4 weeks out from a slower creek with minimal drifts.

Uncle Ben
06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I think we are at least 4 weeks out from a slower creek with minimal drifts.

Tru dat! The drifts I broke will now disappear very quickly. With the first drift broke it opened the trail to mucho traffic. RS'ers who want to enjoy the best wheeling of the season up there need to head up now and often or they will miss out! I predict now that I opened the trail that the whole trail will be broke in the next couple weeks. The creek will continue is rage until the snow stops being disturbed in the area.

FJBRADY
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
That looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

JadeRunner
06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Nice run. Way to go! Those snow drifts are beggin' to get busted. I Gota get up.

PhatFJ
06-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Great pic's!! Thanks for sharing them...

nuclearlemon
06-09-2010, 11:43 PM
wish i'd gone...don't think my last week could get much worse:(

Air Randy
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
So, who wants to go a give it a try this weekend? Ige, Dee can't go so I would need a co-driver:D

Uncle Ben
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
So, who wants to go a give it a try this weekend? Ige, Dee can't go so I would need a co-driver:D

When were you thinking? My plans for tearing WR down and painting it this and next week have been maritally altered. :rolleyes: If I play my cards right I might be able to get a supplemental hall pass. :lmao: :bowdown::Princess:

Air Randy
06-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Eh, weather wash out. Going up and getting rained and snowed on without any real protection didn't sound like too much fun.