PDA

View Full Version : Outlaws Run: September 11-19 2010. Final Dates.

bh4rnnr
06-08-2010, 08:29 PM
(Decided to change the dates since there where conflicting runs)[/SIZE]

Come join us for another year exploring awesome country and old tales of the Wild Bunch while we travle along the old "Owl Hoot Trail".

When: September 11-19, 2010.

Where: A bit of South Dakota, LOTS of Montana, and some of Wyoming.

Route: We will be starting in Belle Fouche, South Dakota, a sight of one of the many bank robberys by the Wild Bunch, from there, we will head North West, following the Powder River to Grand Isalnd, Hidaway Coulee, and the Charles M Russell Wild Life Refuge. Hidaway Coulee was one of Kid Curry's hide outs. It's there, where the Butch, Sundance and Kid Curry hid out after the Exeter Creek Hold up. While on Grand Island, the gang even tride to have Charles Russel Paint the numbers on the stolen bills. After exploring the area, we will head south, along the Missouri to Hole in the Wall, another hide out by the Wild Bunch.

This trip will be a week long journey through some awesome backcountry, hopefully staying away from civilazation as long as possible. Please plan accordingly with the nec. gear/food/fuel/and rig for such a journey.

I am planning to have at least a half day of personal time this year, so we can break away and not get so sick of eachother

I will continue to update thread.

Mods, please deleate old Outlaws Run 2010 planning thread.

Gonna be another great year:cool:

:beer::beer:

Hulk
06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Mods, please deleate old Outlaws Run 2010 planning thread.

Looks like you already did! :thumb:

bh4rnnr
07-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I mentioned some in the first post, but thought i'd post up some highlights for this trip for whoever is interested.

-Belle Fourche Bank robbery
-Custer National Forest (looks like we may be going by the Little Big Horn)
-The Powder, Missouri, and Musselshell Rivers
-Missouri River Breaks (NW of Great Falls Montana)
-Hideaway Coulee and Kid Curry country
-Hole in the Wall country

Yeah, were gonna be covering some awesome country:cool:

bh4rnnr
08-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Just wanted to see who is interested, not to far away!

Inukshuk
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Looks like a great route and if WY last year is any guide, I'm prepared to be blown away by more amazing scenery accessible only by over-landing in our Cruisers. As you know, I will have to see how work is going, and I look forward to reviewing the maps at the ranch.

Convert
08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Perry
Mark me down as a maybe
I will have to see what obstacles work throws at me in the next few weeks.
I would also like to look at the maps got any links ?
If I go I would like to tow the offroad trailer any concerns from your perspective :thumb::beer:

bh4rnnr
08-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Perry
Mark me down as a maybe
I will have to see what obstacles work throws at me in the next few weeks.
I would also like to look at the maps got any links ?
If I go I would like to tow the offroad trailer any concerns from your perspective :thumb::beer:

Dan, the trailer should be fine. I'll try and find some liks to post up, but you can google the Charles M Russel wild life refuge. Some good info on the Missouri River Breaks.

Would enjoy having you along again Dan:thumb:.

bh4rnnr
08-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Charles M Russel National Wild Life Refuge (http://www.fws.gov/cmr/)

A litttle bit of history: Charles Russel (the famous western painter) was actually good friends with Kid Curry, one of the members of the Wild Bunch. Kid and Charles worked the range together in there early days. After the Exeter Creek hold up, Curry tried to have Russel paint numbers on the stolen money, thouh Charels was unable.

:beer:

bh4rnnr
08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
With summer nearing it's end:(, I wanted to get an idea of who is interested in this run (able to go). Just wanting to get an idea, along with finding a ride, yes I will need one;).

Inukshuk
08-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Been reading on the area and looks amazing. Mark me down as a very unlikely :( Just not a good time for me to take off a week.

Jacket
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
I am not going to be around.

bh4rnnr
08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I am not going to be around.

Yeah, go hang out in Coasta Rica. Hope the :Princess: enjoys the LC's:bowdown::thumb:

bh4rnnr
08-29-2010, 04:05 PM
So with September nearing, I wanted to see what interest there was from RS. Kurt will be attending the later part of the week again, along with Richard from Wasatch Cruisers. I only ask this cause, well, I need a ride:o.

At the same time, as much as I hate saying this, it would almost be better to stay and work and get $ put away for the new wheels...

We could always put a long weekend trip together and go somewhere, thus not officially missing the Outlaws Run.... Wasatch Cruisers is going to Hole in the Rock in October.....

Inukshuk
08-29-2010, 07:00 PM
You know I'll be down for a 3-4 day Utah weekend.

nick in nebraska
09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
would love to go, but can't. We just had a new baby and no va ca left. will it run around the same time next year?

bh4rnnr
09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
would love to go, but can't. We just had a new baby and no va ca left. will it run around the same time next year?

Nick,

The Outlaws Run is always around this time (September/October). Bummer you cant make it this year but look forward to haing ya along on another run:thumb::cheers:

bh4rnnr
09-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Alright, as much as I hate to, gonna have to cancel the run this year:(. Better for me to stay and save money.

I would like to though, get a long weekend trip put together for somewhere. Maybe near the end of October or Novermber sometime? Been a long time since i've been to the Sand Dunes, and the Desert is always a good time:blah:.

Inukshuk
09-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Alright, as much as I hate to, gonna have to cancel the run this year:(. Better for me to stay and save money.

I would like to though, get a long weekend trip put together for somewhere. Maybe near the end of October or November sometime? Been a long time since I've been to the Sand Dunes, and the Desert is always a good time:blah:.

Lets get this on the calender. I propose Thursday October 7 to Sunday 10/10 - the very same days as the very first Outlaws Run in 2004.

We can leave at the crack of dawn Thursday, drive in to the Dunes over Medano Pass by time for lunch, and once past the dunes head to the Cochetopa Hills and from there, North.

Some neat geology about the San Luis Valley:
"The San Luis Valley sits atop the Rio Grande Rift, a split in the crust of the Earth where the sides are pulling away from each other. If the Valley floor were excavated, bedrock would be down about 30,000 feet, making the actual bottom of the Valley close to 4 miles below sea level. Over millenia, the mountains surrounding the Valley have eroded away, filling in the hole with rock, sand and earth. Quite a few streams flow into the Valley, only to sink into the ground before they go very far. The only surface water to leave the Valley is the Rio Grande itself, flowing to the south along the crack named for it. There is a huge water aquifer under the valley and, below a certain depth, all of it is hot."

bh4rnnr
09-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Lets get this on the calender. I propose Thursday October 7 to Sunday 10/10 - the very same days as the very first Outlaws Run in 2004.

We can leave at the crack of dawn Thursday, drive in to the Dunes over Medano Pass by time for lunch, and once past the dunes head to the Cochetopa Hills and from there, North.

Some neat geology about the San Luis Valley:
"The San Luis Valley sits atop the Rio Grande Rift, a split in the crust of the Earth where the sides are pulling away from each other. If the Valley floor were excavated, bedrock would be down about 30,000 feet, making the actual bottom of the Valley close to 4 miles below sea level. Over millenia, the mountains surrounding the Valley have eroded away, filling in the hole with rock, sand and earth. Quite a few streams flow into the Valley, only to sink into the ground before they go very far. The only surface water to leave the Valley is the Rio Grande itself, flowing to the south along the crack named for it. There is a huge water aquifer under the valley and, below a certain depth, all of it is hot."

Can't do the 7-10 as we will be in Granby celebrating Max's return from Iraq. Later in OCtober would be better for me.

Fun info on San Luis, a place that needs more exploring.

MDH33
09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
We could always put a long weekend trip together and go somewhere, thus not officially missing the Outlaws Run.... Wasatch Cruisers is going to Hole in the Rock in October.....

When are the Wasatch crew going? And do they have room for some Rising Sun? :cool::beer:

bh4rnnr
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
When are the Wasatch crew going? And do they have room for some Rising Sun? :cool::beer:

Martin, Wasatch is going to Hole in the Rock on the weekend of the 15th of October. And from what Kurt has said, it sounds like there is room for some Rising Sun folk.

Convert
09-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Perry I may be interested in Hole in the Rock. Is Kurt our contact for this run?

MDH33
09-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Perry I may be interested in Hole in the Rock. Is Kurt our contact for this run?

Yup, I spoke with him yesterday. He was also suggesting a possible early winter run (november or december) into the Swell (if Perry gets a rig). :guapo::headbang: ;)

Convert
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Cool Thanks Martin I will contact him.

Inukshuk
09-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Yup, we are all talking.