PDA

View Full Version : Chrome?

Curmudgeon
06-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Greetings, I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time. I have picked up so much from you guys, thank you. I am trying to spruce up the old Toyota jeep of mine. I find lots of parts for monster trucks but I am having trouble finding good old fashioned chrome accessories that fit. I have found a few things from JC Witney. I guess it must be because the Toyota is imported that I can't find any parts for it. Thanks again for the great website and any help is appreciated.

corsair23
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
...trying to spruce up the old Toyota jeep of mine...

Which one is it? A Toyota, or a Jeep? :hill:

I surmise that since you say it is old, and refer to it as a Jeep that you have a FJ40...

Not sure what sort of chrome "accessories" you are looking for but SOR & CCOT do carry some "bling" items like stainless steel windshield hinges, door hinges, vent covers, etc.

Not too much on a 40 to bling out though...

wesintl
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM
where is the heart attack emoticon?

no chrome unless it's OEM :D

where is unclenakdude?

Curmudgeon
06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Which one is it? A Toyota, or a Jeep? :hill:

I surmise that since you say it is old, and refer to it as a Jeep that you have a FJ40...

Not sure what sort of chrome "accessories" you are looking for but SOR & CCOT do carry some "bling" items like stainless steel windshield hinges, door hinges, vent covers, etc.

Not too much on a 40 to bling out though...

Where is SOR & CCOT? Are they local? Yes, it is a FJ40. We always called it a jeep, sorry. We use it on jeep trails so doesn't that make it a jeep? Kida like tissues are usually called kleenex.

treerootCO
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
To quote Ige.... Chrome don't get you home ;)

http://www.sor.com/

http://www.coolcruisers.com/

http://www.man-a-fre.com/

Uncle Ben
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Welcome curmugeon, who are you? :lmao:

MDH33
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
where is the heart attack emoticon?

no chrome unless it's OEM :D

where is unclenakdude?

:lmao:

We use it on jeep trails so doesn't that make it a jeep?

no! :D much better than. :thumb:

here's the extent of chrome allowable on a 40:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/223338773_sa2zt-L.jpg

welcome. ;)

Curmudgeon
06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
To quote Ige.... Chrome don't get you home ;)

http://www.sor.com/

http://www.coolcruisers.com/

Oh...ha ha I've seen Spector before thanks for the addresses.

Uncle Ben
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Hmmmmm....me smells a rat..... :lmao: Unclenakdude....we need to see you up front please!

treerootCO
06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Do what UB did and chrome out the whole truck. I don't have spy pics of wild rice yet but here is his Lexus. Bo Nayhan must be the guy that took the pics :confused:

RockRunner
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
So you guys are really biting on this huh?:eek:??? I mean Toyota J**P and he lives under a rock???:confused::confused:

Each time he posts it stays on 4...........hum looks like an admin to me but since I am a mini truck owner:bowdown: I don't know about those J**P things:rolleyes:

Fess up who is it and it isn't even April 1st:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Uncle Nakdude
06-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Well played, Sir Troll.

jacdaw
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
My ex's dad owned an FJ40 and he called it "jimminy jeep" and this was in the late 70s, early 80s. Lots of people who know the difference call them jeeps with a small J. Aggravating to a Toyota junkie purist, sure. But look at the origins of the FJ line tho. And remember that lots of companies made "jeeps" under military contract. I think I'm gonna start greeting you 40 guys with, "Nice jeep," every time I see you in it/standing next to it.:D

Uncle Ben
06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Do what UB did and chrome out the whole truck. I don't have spy pics of wild rice yet but here is his Lexus. Bo Nayhan must be the guy that took the pics :confused:

You said you wouldn't tell anyone....thanks Root. :rolleyes: :rant: ;)

Uncle Ben
06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Sir Curmudgeon, if you are real we appologize for trampling your thread. If and I suspect it is an admin of this forum ....shame shame shame....funny but despicable! :lmao::lmao:

nakman
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
My ex's dad owned an FJ40 and he called it "jimminy jeep" and this was in the late 70s, early 80s. Lots of people who know the difference call them jeeps with a small J. Aggravating to a Toyota junkie purist, sure. But look at the origins of the FJ line tho. And remember that lots of companies made "jeeps" under military contract. I think I'm gonna start greeting you 40 guys with, "Nice jeep," every time I see you in it/standing next to it.:D

I buy that.. I've also heard early 40's in the 50's referenced as Toyota jeeps, then they later changed names to the Land Cruiser, most likely because of trademark infringement? or to compete more directly with Land Rover..

edit: here, wikipedia validates this somewhat so it must be true http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser :)

treerootCO
06-09-2010, 10:34 PM
I buy that.. I've also heard early 40's in the 50's referenced as Toyota jeeps, then they later changed names to the Land Cruiser, most likely because of trademark infringement? or to compete more directly with Land Rover..

edit: here, wikipedia validates this somewhat so it must be true http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser :)

If Wiki says it is true, it must be. I heard the African elephant population has tripled in the past six months ;)

Hulk
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
You mean the FJ in FJ40 doesn't stand for "Foreign Jeep"???

jacdaw
06-10-2010, 03:55 AM
You mean the FJ in FJ40 doesn't stand for "Foreign Jeep"???The J certainly stood for jeep, but the F could be any number of adjectives. fabulous | ferocious | fancy (w/chrome) | flippant | friendly | flipped (Randy) | fearless | fast (wildrice) | famous | fertile | filthy | functional | flexible...

Hulk
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Or maybe the J stand for Japanese.

DaveInDenver
06-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Or maybe the J stand for Japanese.
I thought it originally had something to do with Toyota's designation for the Aichi plant.

Rzeppa
06-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Didn't any of you guys buy the 50th anniversary Land Cruiser book by Toyota? I got mine through SOR. It is pretty definative regarding the origins. F is for the F series of engines.

Anyway, back to the original question, besides the "hood ornament" on earlier 40s, the ashtray frame is chromed, and there are bezels around the earlier tail lights and rear reflectors which are chromed, and of course OEM hubcaps are chromed. Certain non-USA 40 series got chrome bezels (they were big in the Japanese market). That is about all I can think of.

FWIW, my Dad used to call Land Cruisers "Japanese Jeeps".

84cruzer
06-11-2010, 10:03 AM
ARRRGGHHH!!!!...........MY EYES!!!!

I pretty much have remove all of my chrome. Spend your money on more important stuff like Lockers and Good MT Tires, Don't waste it on new Chrome. Unless you have more money than sense.:lmao:
My 2cents

nuclearlemon
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
U could get your 40 with a chrome package...bezel and bumperettes.

Marks OR used to sell chrome ws and door hinges and cluster and glove box doors, but that was 25 years ago

corsair23
06-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Don't forget diamond plated rear quarter panels, running boards, and kick panels above the running boards :)

jacdaw
06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Don't forget diamond plated rear quarter panels, running boards, and kick panels above the running boards :)I hate diamond plate. Steel armor is good tho. Doesn't look funny when you paint it.:rolleyes:

corsair23
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I hate diamond plate. Steel armor is good tho. Doesn't look funny when you paint it.:rolleyes:

Yeah, but paint defeats the purpose behind wanting to do "chrome" and bling the Cruiser out :hill:

jacdaw
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, but paint defeats the purpose behind wanting to do "chrome" and bling the Cruiser out :hill:I was simply establishing that Curmudgeon is not one of my aliases.;)

Curmudgeon
06-13-2010, 07:26 AM
U could get your 40 with a chrome package...bezel and bumperettes.

Marks OR used to sell chrome ws and door hinges and cluster and glove box doors, but that was 25 years ago

Who is Mark?

Uncle Ben
06-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Who is Mark?

www.marksoffroad.net

BreckBJ44
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
As a note... that Blinged lexus has a pintle on it. Seriously? You coat your truck in gold, but still want to tow something with a lunette?

Rezarf
06-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Sure a matching chrome m416... makes sense.

BreckBJ44
06-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Sure a matching chrome m416... makes sense.

:lmao: That's a pretty good idea for that rig. I'd hate to drive it... looks much more like a ride for the :Princess:

K

1loudLX
06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Happy Curmudgeon is the admin for the jeep JK forum, says my friend with a jeep

Corbet
06-15-2010, 10:21 AM
solution to any and all chrome needs... With the added benefit of aluminum for rust protection.

1loudLX
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
wonder how many cans it would take to do my whole truck?

Rzeppa
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
solution to any and all chrome needs... With the added benefit of aluminum for rust protection.

Actually, if you can spray on bare steel, sacrificial zinc is the way to go. Next best thing to hot-dip galvanizing :thumb:

http://rzeppa.org/resto/p25004.jpg