PDA

View Full Version : 96 FZJ80 check engine light

girraffe
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
hey yall does someone have a diagnostic reader?? I just got a 1996 FZJ80 and the check engine light is on. talke to the PO and he said he changed out the O2 sensor and changed the oil etc. and i have no idea what else to check. so if you know some one that has a reader please let me know. Id prefer not to get my butthole reamed out by the dealer...

nakman
06-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Drive to AutoZone, they've got readers and can pull/clear the code for you.

corsair23
06-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a Scangauge II if you want to come all the way down south...I can pull the codes but like Tim says, an Autozone etc. near you would be quicker

LARGEONE
06-13-2010, 07:53 AM
X3 on the Checker, Autozone, etc. It's free, and you can do it yourself or have them read it for you. Clear the code and see if it comes back right away (depending on what the code is). Then, post up the code and someone can tell you what the likely cause is.

girraffe
06-13-2010, 09:09 AM
well i went to checker and it wouldnt read. the plug they had was not as long as my diagnostics port. it fit on there but the plug did not have as many plugs as the port. ill by autozone and see what they have and take a picture.

coax
06-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Just out of curiosity you were using the port in the cab of the cruiser and not the one in the engine bay right?

wesintl
06-13-2010, 10:07 AM
if you want to come over and run the code i'll be here all day.

TIMZTOY
06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Any parts store will scan your computer for free. Autozone, checkers, pepboys, Advanced, possibly napa. But it has to be a 96 and newer. All of the obd2 ports have the same 16 pin connection (government mandate) if it couldn't read, it's problly a "link error" which could be several issues. No power to the link, either a fuse, or ECM fault. Granted the pocket scaners won't read in this instance. But if you pay for a code pull (most Shops are still free) they'll hook up there $5,000.00 scanner which supplys it's own power and should bypass the "link error" issue.

girraffe
06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Just out of curiosity you were using the port in the cab of the cruiser and not the one in the engine bay right?

HA! no i was running it on the one in the engine bay... didnt know there was one inside... ill disconnect the battery, let the codes clear and check the one on the interior probably tomorrow. wesintl i got a party this afternoon for my daughter otherwise id be over there in a heartbeat. thanks man.

coax
06-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Yea that threw me for a loop the first time I tried to check a code. :D There should be a little fuse pannel by drivers left knee. hth.

Corey

wesintl
06-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm at I25 and belleview if you want to check it tomorrow... I'll bring the scan gauge with me.

you can buy a reader for ~$40.. with an 80 you'd might as well buy one.. you'll be clearing the 401 regularly ;)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_PocketScan-Plus-Code-Reader-Actron_9090012-P_N3389_T|GRP2018____

girraffe
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
well i disconnected the battery and the light is gone. upon initial start the motor revved up three times and then went back to normal. it actually idles a little lower now too. if(when) it comes back i let yall know...

Romer
06-14-2010, 09:20 PM
well i disconnected the battery and the light is gone. upon initial start the motor revved up three times and then went back to normal. it actually idles a little lower now too. if(when) it comes back i let yall know...

Thats because you reset the computer. Would have been much better if you had the code pulled so you knew what it was

Nemo
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
I have a reader as well and I live downtown for the most part if that is closer for you. If it doesn't come back then it sounds like the PO may not have cleared the codes after replacing the O2's but most likely not the same. It will come back after so many miles. I think it is like a 3 trigger component meaning that the event needs to register 3 times prior the light coming on so you may already have a stored code.

girraffe
07-16-2010, 12:16 PM
ok the code came back. its the dreaded P0401... think i will just drive it with that till i do my motor swap... thanks yall

by the way the motor/trans and either HF2A or HF2AV will be up for sale this fall. motor will be throwing a P0401 he he

nakman
07-16-2010, 01:07 PM
They've carved out a special place in hell for me no doubt, but I ended up fixing my 401 for free, by disabling the EGR sensor and making it so it's "on" all the time. :hill:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10919&highlight=401 is the tread, which includes some supporting mud threads, if you really want to get into this your answer's probably in there.