PDA

View Full Version : '93 Forerunner

mtncrsr
06-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi guys. I have an opportunity to purchase a low mileage '93 Forerunner for my daughter and was wondering if there is anything that I should be watching out for. Any information or suggestions of particular problems or quirks or great things about this particular year would be greatly appreciated:D

nakman
06-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Loren the only thing that jumps out is the engine... 93 is 3.0 V6, right? many would argue that 3.0 V6 is the worst option available, and either the step back to the 4cyl. 22re or the step up to the 3.4L 5VZ-Fe is preferable. If there was a 96+ for about the same money it would get my nod over this one, just because of engine type...

it's all about maintenance though, if it's had regular coolant & oil changes it's less of a deal than if it hasn't. See if you can snif around enough to get a feel for how well maintained it is?

mtncrsr
06-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the engine. I am not sure what engine is in it. The owner was the mom of a friend of mine. She passed away and they are trying to figure out what to do with the vehicle. It has about 18K miles on it and are asking $6K.

nakman
06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
18K miles in 18 years? wow.

mtncrsr
06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Loren the only thing that jumps out is the engine... 93 is 3.0 V6, right? many would argue that 3.0 V6 is the worst option available, and either the step back to the 4cyl. 22re or the step up to the 3.4L 5VZ-Fe is preferable. If there was a 96+ for about the same money it would get my nod over this one, just because of engine type...

it's all about maintenance though, if it's had regular coolant & oil changes it's less of a deal than if it hasn't. See if you can snif around enough to get a feel for how well maintained it is?

Tim, was the engine a problem due to its lack of power, it had mechanical problems, bad mileage or something else?

Thanks

DaveInDenver
06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
The 3VZ-FE is not as bad as the Internet wisdom says. Think about it, Toyota only made like 100 billion of them and there's aren't 100 billion haters. Just that the people who do have problems or whatever bone to pick post on the web a lot. Well, I do agree that it's not as good as the 22R, but that because they /only/ last 150K or 200K but do make 25 HP more. :-P

The '90-'95 4Runners are solid values IMO. I've like to have the 1990-1991 version personally. Some day maybe.

Yeah, yeah, the 5VZ-FE is a better V6, though.

DaveInDenver
06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Tim, was the engine a problem due to its lack of power, it had mechanical problems, bad mileage or something else?

Thanks
The 3VZ made about 150HP and generally with the auto it is a slug. A lot like a 22R-E with any tranny. With a stick the 3.0L does better. So from a operating standpoint they don't make a ton of power and the mileage is generally pretty low compared to a 22R-E. This is why from a user perspective they are not very popular. Either way, 22R or 3VZ, your truck is slow compared to more modern vehicles, but at least with a 22R you can be all smug that you're getting 20MPG and probably 250K miles.

They had two major problems, one is that during production Toyota changed something and they started developing headgasket issues. The 1993 would be pretty much in the middle of this. Toyota did though issue a recall of them (which is still active AFAIK) that gave an owner at least new HGs and often a reworking of the heads. This is not anything I would worry too much about, by now it's either been done or you might not have the problem. There is another problem, where the #6 cylinder seems to burn exhaust valves. This I think is due to the routing of the crossover pipe causing a hot spot on the head. I'm not sure if this is inclusive to the HG issue, but I don't think Toyota does anything for this. This is the 'only' lasting 150K thing I mentioned.

mtncrsr
06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks Dave.
I will weigh all of this and talk it over with my wife.

Hulk
06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
It has about 18K miles on it and are asking $6K.

18K miles in 18 years? wow.

Garage kept? That's like buying a new vehicle. You should put it in a museum. Probably still has the original tires -- might want to replace those.

SteveH
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
On a very low mileage rig like that, you'd want to replace the timing belt immediately if it hasn't been done - so there's 700 if done by most shops. Also, the coolant may never have been changed, which is hard on freeze plugs, water pumps, radiators, etc. I might pay a premium for the low miles, but not a huge, huge one (For the reasons mentioned above) and for problems that happen due to age, rather than miles.

At least drive a 3rd gen ('96-2002) and see how you feel after that. I'm very glad I went from a 1st gen ('87) to a 1998.

DaveInDenver
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
At least drive a 3rd gen ('96-2002) and see how you feel after that. I'm very glad I went from a 1st gen ('87) to a 1998.
For a teenage kid I don't think it matters much as long as it runs enough to keep her from getting stranded. It'll probably end up wrecked anyway, at least that was the fate of my first couple of cars. :-)

Hulk
06-14-2010, 06:22 PM
It'll probably end up wrecked anyway, at least that was the fate of my first couple of cars. :-)

Me, too. I actually rolled a 1976 Chevette.

Old40Dog
06-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Me, too. I actually rolled a 1976 Chevette.

Matt, How'd you get a Chevette going fast enough to roll? :eek: Down an 8% grade with a 70 MPH tailwind? :lmao:

Retail "book" on a '93 4 runner with 18K miles in "Excellent" condition, with absolutely no additional work required, is $5600 ($4750 Fair Condition). With what needs to be done to this one to get it back into excellent shape, probably more like $4600-$4740 is top true value in present condition, IMHO. :D Good luck! :cheers:

Jacket
06-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I ran up and over 150000 trouble-free miles on my '92 with the 3.0. They're not that bad....

Hulk
06-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Matt, How'd you get a Chevette going fast enough to roll? :eek: Down an 8% grade with a 70 MPH tailwind? :lmao:

It was a pretty light car. It was amazing what it could do. I used to drive it through a local river out to an island so we could consume malty beverages. :D

Anyway, I was on my way to meet some friends and I was late. I was driving east on Manchester Road at 60 MPH. A lady pulled out in front of me to make a left turn and stopped, blocking both eastbound lanes. There was a center left turn lane, but apparently she didn't know how to use it.

Had I been going the speed limit (40 MPH), I probably could have stopped in time. I slammed on the brakes, but I could tell it wasn't going to stop me in time. I had to make a choice: run straight into the driver's side of her car, or head off the road. I drove onto the shoulder, which was not level, and the car flipped onto the passenger side door. A steel post that was part of a fence for a car dealership stopped my forward motion, shattering the windshield and denting the roof of the car. Safety glass is a wonderful thing.

I was fine, but a little shaken up. The cops didn't even give me a ticket -- they figured I had been punished enough for speeding.

I installed a new windshield in that Chevette and drove it another 4 years. It was nearly indestructible.

Myredyota
06-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Loren,
No matter what, have someone check it out. Call Jesse @ ATLR. See what it needs and get an estimate. Subtract that from what they are asking and see what they say. My truck has the 3VZ. When it hit 150,000 I had to have the engine replaced. Not because of the head gaskets or a burnt valve, but because of a bad cam seal that took out the bottom end. I get 18-21 MPG with a lift and 33X12.5 muds. That is with the stock 4.56 gears and a stick. All that said, let me know if you pass on this, I am looking for a daily driver!:D

Old40Dog
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
It was a pretty light car. It was amazing what it could do. I used to drive it through a local river out to an island so we could consume malty beverages. :D.....

I installed a new windshield in that Chevette and drove it another 4 years. It was nearly indestructible.

I had a Samauri 20 years ago that performed about the same. Not enough power to even get it stuck! You can't spin the wheels with only 40HP!