PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Big Cap 2F Distributor

RicardoJM
06-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm looking to get a big cap 2F distributor as the last one I had didn't work out (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13311). If you got one, let me know.

Air Randy
06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Why don't you upgrade to an HEI type distributor? It's fully electronic, modern, reliable and resistant to shorting out when wet, etc. If it ever fails you can get replacement parts at any Autozone, Checker, NAPA, etc. Yes, they are pricey but once you spring for it you should never have to touch it again.

DaveInDenver
06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Why don't you upgrade to an HEI type distributor? It's fully electronic, modern, reliable and resistant to shorting out when wet, etc. If it ever fails you can get replacement parts at any Autozone, Checker, NAPA, etc. Yes, they are pricey but once you spring for it you should never have to touch it again.
I've often wondered about this, is there a reason that more people don't use them beyond the cost? It's like the reluctance to using Delco alternators I guess. I plan to install the CS130 sorta of thing when mine fails or if I decide to spend the money for more power.

RicardoJM
06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Cost would be why, but then again by the time I add up what I have into an old dizzy and igniter (and spares of each) the dollars add up.

I know that many have gone the HEI/DUI route. It has all the pluses you mentioned and as I understand it the igniter is integral with the distributor. I have a natural bias (maybe too influenced by my web research) to Toyota parts.

So - if someone has an HEI type distributor for an F engine, I'd be open to that as well.

Rzeppa
06-22-2010, 10:56 AM

HEI is not an upgrade over the FJ60 design, plus you have to change the gears out to match the F series cam gear. "The 81-87 distributor is a work of art. The shaft spins on sealed ball bearings, the breaker plate advances on a proprietary large ball bearing ring, the weights pivot on teflon inserts, the distributor is sealed against dirt & water contamination, provided with a source of fresh, clean air...."

-Jim Chenoweth 2/26/2002

The primary advantage is that parts for the HEI are more readily available as noted. In my personal experience, the HEI I had in my Chevy van with 350 V8 worked fine - I'm just not a fan of them for Land Cruisers.

Rzeppa
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm looking to get a big cap 2F distributor as the last one I had didn't work out (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13311). If you got one, let me know.

Ricardo I have one you can have for parts. It sat in someone's storage with no cap and got rusty on the plate, but I am sure the shaft is good.

Air Randy
06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
HEI is not an upgrade over the FJ60 design, plus you have to change the gears out to match the F series cam gear.

You don't have to change any gears if you buy the HEI/DUI unit already setup for the F/2F motor. The advance curve is also set up specifically for this motor. I got mine from JTO and it drops straight in. You only have to hook up 1 wire to igntion switched + and you're ready to roll, it also has a terminal for electronic tachometer which I also used.

It also allows you to open up the gap on your spark plugs for less chance of fouling.

Rzeppa
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
You don't have to change any gears if you buy the HEI/DUI unit already setup for the F/2F motor. The advance curve is also set up specifically for this motor. I got mine from JTO and it drops straight in. You only have to hook up 1 wire to igntion switched + and you're ready to roll, it also has a terminal for electronic tachometer which I also used.

It also allows you to open up the gap on your spark plugs for less chance of fouling.

I was referring specifically to those who drop in a Chebby HEI, which I have seen quite often. The gear kinda sorta fits, but cause all kinds of problems (burnt up bushings, etc.) after not too many miles. If Joe's selling a kit, he has obviously been changing the gears out to properly fit the F series cam. Curving the centrifugal advance for our engines (and presumably stock carb and cam) is a bonus - Jim C. does that whenever he builds distributors for his customers. Obviously, dynamic timing is as dependent on those two components as it is on compression and elevation.

Pretty much all the different electronic ignition options allow you to go from typical points gap of .035 to .045 or so. In our tractor motors, much more (such as the .060 you can do with Flamethrower coils, etc.) doesn't yield any improvement in performance and can cause new problems, like arcing through plug wires.

A very dear friend who had a Land Cruiser shop for many years gave me some words of wisdom, and they are still reinforced in my own observations over the years: "The farther you get from stock Toyota, the farther you get from that legendary Toyota reliability". I have my own saying, too: "A brand new something or other will usually work better than your old worn out something or other". In particular, people put Webers and Holleys on their Cruiser because their old carb is worn out, but rebuilding their stock carb is actually the best approach.

One of these days I'm going to FI one of my F series Cruisers - maybe use a 3FE distributor and let the computer decide on timing.

:cheers: