PDA

View Full Version : Tires Tires Tires

Hudo4
06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm looking for advice on AT tires for my 01 runner. Any thoughts?
BFG, Nitto, Goodyear, etc...

I'm looking for a tire with somewhat aggressive tread, not to loud and handles on the highway.

SteveH
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I just put a set of Bridgestone Revo IIs on my '98 4Runner, at Discount Tire. They had a $100 rebate on 4 tires (in May) so that brought the price down. They're fairly quiet, and have decent traction. They are very smooth at 85-90 - so they appear to be round (unlike my last Peerless Tyre junkers I had on this truck). I don't think they ride terribly well - not bad, but still some thumping on bumps that I didn't expect. I got the P-rated tire, rather than the LT, as I think 4Runners don't ride well with LTs. If you're willing to spend 175-200 a tire there are more exciting options that this.

Just my .02 worth.

Steve

Hudo4
06-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks Steve. Any and all advice is welcome. I'm not sure what price point I'm looking at yet. I might splurge if it's the right thing to do.

Thanks again

AxleIke
06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I highly recommend the BFG AT's.

I ran them for 10 years, in different sizes, and really abused them. The truck finally out grew them, but for what you are describing, they are perfect.

CardinalFJ60
06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
I totally agree - for a combo DD and wheeler I don't think you can go wrong with the BFG ATs.

wesintl
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
on the flip side I hate, can't stand, loath bfg AT's, I only like the MT's slightly more than the AT's. At first they are ok but the rubber become hard, the tread doesn't clean and they spin like a hippie chick at a dead concert, traction sucks. tri ply toilet paper sidewalls.. I could go awn... :D as good as issac drives he could pilot slicks on the trail...

I have the nitto tg's on my cruiser and have been super happy with them. My wife doesn't complain about the round town driving and they do well for what I do offroad and towing the camper.

I don't think any AT tire meets the requirement of somewhat aggressive tread though.

FJBRADY
06-22-2010, 04:23 PM
they spin like a hippie chick at a dead concert

:lmao:

coax
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Not much time on them yet, but the Nitto's are priced pretty well, have a "more" aggressive tread pattern for an A/T, and ride pretty nice on the highway. So far I am impressed. They balanced out pretty well too. Won't last as long as the BFG's but depending on who you talk to thats a good or bad thing :-D Check discount tire direct too...sometimes the tires are quite a bit cheaper on the web, and with free shipping and delayed sales tax, it may be worth it to get 'em from there. (5 extra bucks when you get 'em mounted though)

RedCreeper
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
I had a set of Nittos on my crew cab and was not happy with them and wore out pretty quickly. But this is my opinion and was on a bigger rig. I like the BFGs AT on my cruiser and have them on my crew cab also. I have always run BFGs in AT or MT and been real happy. My MTs i ran for years and even had slashes in the side wall and never had a issue. My .02

AxleIke
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
on the flip side I hate, can't stand, loath bfg AT's, I only like the MT's slightly more than the AT's. At first they are ok but the rubber become hard, the tread doesn't clean and they spin like a hippie chick at a dead concert, traction sucks. tri ply toilet paper sidewalls.. I could go awn... :D as good as issac drives he could pilot slicks on the trail...

I have the nitto tg's on my cruiser and have been super happy with them. My wife doesn't complain about the round town driving and they do well for what I do offroad and towing the camper.

I don't think any AT tire meets the requirement of somewhat aggressive tread though.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I just spit water on my keyboard here at work. Well played sir!

TIMZTOY
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
loved my 33" bfg at's absolutlly no complaints deffentlly would buy and reccomend to anyone. My next set I buy will be bfg mt's because I'm wanting a little more agressive.

Corbet
06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Would help to know more of what you want out of the tires. More than just "somewhat aggressive tread"

I also hate BFG AT's. Great for say the first 3 months. then crap IMO. Rubber way too hard but the flip side there is that they wear like iron.

I run the Nitto TG's personally and like them for what I do.

No one as mentioned the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S yet. Its quiet on the highway, good in the snow. AT style tread. Generally can be found on the affordable end of things.

But again tell us where you want them to shine.

calphi27
06-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Check out duratracs by goodyear. Here is my post on them

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/354045-goodyear-duratracs-fj62-fj-cruiser-wheels-pics-ahoy.html

CardinalFJ60
06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
don't know much about them, 'cept I think Robbie mentioned he liked them. I wanna say he's got'em on the 4runner and when I was BS'ing about tires one day, he recommended I add those to the mix when researching.

Bighead
06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Wasn't a big fan of the BFG ATs I used to run on my '01 4Runner...I used to have a lot of issues running them in wet weather when I was stationed in NC. I have liked the Nitto TGs on the 100 and used to run the Yokohama AT-S on my wife's old Tacoma. Both worked well in CO winter conditions.

wesintl
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
:lmao:

I could be dating myself :o should I change it to a phish show:confused:

Snowrun
06-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I run BFG AT's on the wife vehicle and I am not impressed. Same experiences with them as Wesintl has had. I currently run Toyo Open country MT's on the 80 and have been very happy with them. They are surprisingly quiet on the highway for an MT.

Nay
06-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Another vote against BFG AT's. They are great until you know better. Kind of like first girlfriends.

I'd look hard at those Duratracs. Nitto Terra Grappler, too.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Michelin makes a great AT also. Kind of spendy but they are Michelins.

If you need another price check option, check out onlinetires.com...They have great prices but are kind of ghetto, you can always get a local shop to price match.

I also have BFG ATs, and I don't like them simply because to me they don't look as cool as my Big Horns.. The BFGs are a bear to balance and are heavy.

You might consider Maxxis Big Horns like Nakman has. They are actually pretty quiet and a guy did a test on them in the last overland journal issue. He has an 06 runner and said he got 18.81 in the highway with them. Same size as Tim's.

LETSROLL
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
BFG ATs are the best. Solid manners on the road, very capable off road. Long lasting, too. Assuming I don't go for a freaskishly big lift, etc, I'll never run anything but BFG ATs.

nakman
06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Here you go Brent, this would solve all of your problems in a single motion.. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1799097633.html :lmao:

edit: I had a tough time getting the Geolanders I put on what's now my brother's 4runner to balance.. those rims are finicky IMO, and the tires required a bunch of weights on them. There are other solid options above though, and hey if you want to mount up the Maxxis Bighorns for a week or so just come on over and we can swap, they should bolt right up. They're probably the loudest tire of any that have been suggested so far, fwiw.

AxleIke
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Another vote against BFG AT's. They are great until you know better. Kind of like first girlfriends.

I'd look hard at those Duratracs. Nitto Terra Grappler, too.

No. They are just plain great. :D

Hudo4
06-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow....lots of great info from everyone. Thank you.

I was checking out the Durtrac and the Grappler, both seem to have aggressive tread which i like. But I wasn't sure on the highway handling on either. I've read the Durtrac's can feel a little...rollie on the highway but others say they're great as well.

Thanks Tim, I just need to win lotto!
:D

DaveInDenver
06-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Another vote against BFG AT's.
That might be true, but I'll never know until companies besides BFG bother to make non-bias ply tires in a useful size...33x9.50x15 or 33x10.50x15. Until then gotta stick with the ugly sister I suppose. In any case, they've always been my go-to tires. Maybe it's a size and weight thing, the BFG AT in 33x9.50 and 33x10.50 are 'C' load rated tires and at ~35psi they seem to match well with a 4,000 lbs Hilux I guess. Other than real snow tires I have always found the 33x9.50 size about as good on snowy pavement as any general purpose tire.

Edit to add: Noticing that people with Hiluxes and Tacos love ATs and Cruisers don't. Shrug, just pointing it out.

DaveInDenver
06-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Wow....lots of great info from everyone. Thank you.

I was checking out the Durtrac and the Grappler, both seem to have aggressive tread which i like. But I wasn't sure on the highway handling on either. I've read the Durtrac's can feel a little...rollie on the highway but others say they're great as well.
Not one of your options, but FWIW we had Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO tires on the 4Runner and absolutely hated them. Loud (nearly as loud as the BFG MTs on my truck now), terrible, just terrible, on wet pavement in rain or snow. Had to sell the 4Runner before we put many miles on them, so can't say how they wore.

Hudo4
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks, that's good info on the Dueler's I'll steer clear of those. :D

DaveInDenver
06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks, that's good info on the Dueler's I'll steer clear of those. :D
Say, did you make many of the Churchill Cup matches? The division 3 team that my buddy came to town with beat Cedar Rapids to get into the big match but lost to OMBAC in the finals. Still a good weekend, though!

Hudo4
06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I wimped due to the rain on that Sunday. Talk about a fair weather fan. I'll wait til it shows up on the fox sports channel then record the USA vs. England. I've stayed away for hearing the scores so far. I'm glad someone got out to see some awesome rugby though.

corsair23
06-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Not one of your options, but FWIW we had Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO tires on the 4Runner and absolutely hated them. Loud (nearly as loud as the BFG MTs on my truck now), terrible, just terrible, on wet pavement in rain or snow. Had to sell the 4Runner before we put many miles on them, so can't say how they wore.

Interesting...I had the Revos on my Durango and loved them. Quiet, and did well in all conditions and were absolutely awesome when compared to the OEM Wrangler RSA tires that were on before them which were scary.

I think your point to tires on different vehicles and differences of opinion is spot on. If you're looking for a tire for an 80 talk with 80 series owners. If you're looking for a tire for a 4Runner, talk with 4Runner owners etc. I'm a believer in the same tire on different vehicles can net different "opinions" on said tire.

Hudo4
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Seems like a very valid point Jeff.

subzali
06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I had good luck with 27x8.50/14 BFG A/Ts on my 2wd Toyota truck. Got 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts for my Tundra just recently. It was a tossup with Nittos (didn't get them I guess because I was worried they'd wear out too fast) and Toyo Open Country A/Ts. The Toyo A/Ts are supposed to be a pretty good tire too. Another one my dad has on a '97 Tacoma is the Goodyear Silent Armor. He also had those on the Suburban and I was pretty impressed with them in the December 2006 snow storm...got me home from Ouray in the blizzard.

Nay
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
That might be true, but I'll never know until companies besides BFG bother to make non-bias ply tires in a useful size...33x9.50x15 or 33x10.50x15.

Interco makes tires that are actually useful in useful sizes :hill:

FJBRADY
06-24-2010, 08:08 AM
I was going to say Super Swampers, but Nay beat me to it.

I am going with Michelin's on the Tundra when whatever is on them now wears out. Michele has the MTX MS, or whatever they are called, on the Pilot and they rock for an All Terrain tire.....never been off road with them so I can't comment on that.

powderpig
06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Yes we have Michelin's for the all season on our 4 runner, then winter is a set of the Dura trac's. I will look at the size. We drive it up and down sunshine canyon road and they stick really well on the road, pull through the snow really well and handle the ice wonderful(wife feels real confident with these tires). The dura trac's have been real great on the highway at HW speeds. I did not feel like they not handleing the load of the vehicle well. If I remember right, they are a D or E rated tire. I could see where a c rated tire may not handle as good, or if they are under inflated as well.
I have read the comments on line about the bad handleing issues of the Duratrac's,
but no one comments on what rating they have and what tire pressure they are running.
this can contribute to there issues greatly.
As for BFG's I have way more miles on them then I ever want to have. A set of Siped Goodyear MTR(older tread pattern) were quieter, gave me better fuel ecomany and handled better then the BFG's ever did when I owned them.
As for the Michelin's, LTX MS(agressive version), does a great job on many fronts, mainly road traction, and fuel ecomany. Side wall on all the tires I have been talking about, well the Michilen's, BFG at and the Good year are all about on the same level of durability. Do not know much about the Dura Trac yet.
later robbie

DaveInDenver
06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Interco makes tires that are actually useful in useful sizes :hill:

34x10.50x15 LTB = bias ply, no thanks, even old Hiluxes are bit more refined than a 1947 John Deere harvester. We at least have a radio and right seat passenger with whom to converse. If I had the space/money/desire to have two sets of rims, they would probably be on them, though...
34x9.50x15 Super Swamper = very noisy and worse ride than my BFG MTs right now. Talking about 200+ days getting work, 25+ days getting to Loveland in the winter, etc, etc.
33x10.50x15 SS-M16 = Looks interesting, can Discount get them? They are 12 lbs heavier than the BFG MT and still more aggressive than an AT tread.

What models have I missed? I still don't see much on the market that fills the need for a narrow mixed use tire in pizza cutter sizes. IOW, a tire that works well on pavement, not just barely OK. Not to mention will last more than a year or two. I get decent mileage from BFG ATs, usually safe to expect about 40,000 miles from a set.

wesintl
06-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm a believer in the same tire on different vehicles can net different "opinions" on said tire.

True, but there is something about them..doesn't matter the vehicle, no i'm sure of it, I hate em.:D

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Brent, here is another option, this is what I think I am getting for an all purpose hwy and mild off-road set.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MA-761-Bravo-Series.aspx

here is a guy that installed them also..

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7173

Old40Dog
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Brent,

Whatever brand and style you decide on, call Joel at Performance Tire and Wheel (303) 934-2929, and tell him your a RS Member and you'll get Dealer Pricing. They sell most major brands of tires and hopefuly they carry what you're looking for. I've bought tires for my 40 and 80 there and they also rotate them for you in the price. :thumb:

Hudo4
06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Thank Chris and Dave. The hunt for tires is turning into an epic adventure. I just want to make sure I have all the info before I pull the trigger. Next run I should be sporting some new tires of some sort.:D

Inukshuk
11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
on the flip side I hate, can't stand, loath bfg AT's, ...

I have the nitto tg's on my cruiser and have been super happy with them.

Got a sidewall nail on Old Chinaman's yesterday and know I need tires before the snow flies. I have 46k miles on my BFG A/T's. They have always treated me well and taken all my offroad abuse. I called my ususal place - Costco and got sticker shock on pricing the 285/75 R16 BFG AT's I have used for my two past sets of tires. $1086 total for 4 ($235 ea+) :eek::eek:

Your opinions matter to me and I have not had any other tire-girlfriends so to speak. Last time I skimped on tires (Big O AT's) I ended up rolled in a snowbank on Rabbit Ears Pass. So I read this thread. Good stuff about the Nittos. I also like that like the BFG AT's they are M+S rated. How are you guys liking them? Any other suggestions in an AT?

Edit: Yes, I'll call Joel at Performance for a quote.

coax
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
For the price its hard to go wrong with the nittos. Looks like 760 for all 4 shipped and installed from discount tire direct. I haven't had them long enough to comment on how long they will last (seemed to be one of the main complaints about the time was short tread life. Works OK for me as I won't get anywhere near 50k before they start to dry rot).

One of my friends ran the yoko AT -S on his jeep (since sold) that lasted for quite a long time and seemed to do well in the snow. I haven't had mine in the snow at all since I run dedicated tires for the winter. I had the bfg's on my exploder in pre-cruiser days and they lasted forever and did well (I thought) in snow as long as it didn't get really cold...then they went down hill fast.

Chris
11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I'll toss my dislike of BFG A/T's in too. I always liked them until my last set where the sidewalls proved to be very poor. I don't know if this is true but I was told that Michelin (maker of BFG's) changed the rubber. My last set was terrible and will never buy BFG's again.

I looked at DuraTracs for my 4Runner buy went with Silent Armor instead - better warranty, better in all conditions except off-road where they're 8 rated vs 9 in the DT. Like everything else (including Nay's ex-girlfriend analogy) depends on the intended use. ;)

bomber22
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I have the geolander at-s 265/70/16 on my 2000 tundra with about 40,000 miles , still have good tread handle well in all conditions. discount tire

rover67
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I've had good luck with the AT's on terrain like the spooky night run this year. but that's just my .02....

never really worked them on rocks or anything.

in mud they pack up kinda fast and just spin, and in deeper snow they aren't great. Snowy roads they've done OK for me though.

Corbet
11-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Well I just retired my Nitto's last week for a set of Duratrac's with studs for the winter. I had about 26K on the Nitto's with plenty more pavement life left in them. Probably at 40% tread. I did notice in Ouray this fall that they were loosing some of their grip on the trail descending stuff like Black Bear.

The Duratrac's definitely have a little more rolling resistance that you can feel at very slow speeds. Despite the studs are very quiet on the HWY. Hit 75MPH today for the first time with them and did not notice a big difference from my old Nitto's. Without the studs probably would be the same.

Come spring I'll need to get a set of summer tires. Most likely Trxus, but maybe the new General Grabbers or even another set of Nitto's if I go AT.

Inukshuk
12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
For the price its hard to go wrong with the Nittos. Looks like 760 for all 4 shipped and installed from discount tire direct.

I ordered 4 Nitto Terra Grapplers today from discount tire direct. Discount was the price leader and I like that they have many locations. I decided on those over the slightly less expensive Geolanders because the Nitto's got better Ice and Snow ratings from Consumer Reports, among others. I have always run the BFG A/T's on my 80 so this will be interesting. I have always liked the BFG's and they have treated me well, but right now they are about $50 more each and everyone here seems to like their Nittos (possible tread life issues noted)

Its $680 total for the tires and then will cost about $100 to have the local discount tire install them. The local store would have matched the online price BUT they add sales tax, which would have been about $50.

Great thread and thanks to all who put up info.

Inukshuk
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Tire update: I wheeled the Nitto TG's at the Cruise Moab prerun and then Cruise Moab. All was great until I suffered a sidewall cut. About 3,000 miles on the tires. Sidewalls and tread still just about perfect.

Friday of CM on Chicken Corners I suffered a sidewall cut. My group (thanks Convert!) was like a NASCAR pit crew, helped me put on the spare, and we were quickly underway, and bought a used same size BFG AT at Chip's Tire (our CM BFG sponsor) for $50 mounted and balanced. (Chip was great and said how much they love our group). I wheeled the next two days with that used BFG and drove home on it. I did not want to be without a spare.

I do not think the sidewall should have failed where it did. I feel like I have gone over rocks like that many times before with the BFG AT's. So, yesterday, Monday, I talked to Discount Tire Direct Online, Nitto Warranty, and then went to my local shop (47th & Wadsworth). Long story short is that the Discount Tire people were great and I took them up on their very fair offer to purchase 5 tires worth of road hazard at a fair price. That was heavily influenced by the fact that the warranty person at Nitto (who gave me her direct dial phone number) also agreed to run the tire through their inspection process to determine if it was defective. I spoke with her again today and should hear back in about 6 weeks. Discount Tire will have a new one in for me this week or early next. Great service from both companies.

Some pictures (All credit to Rick Janson) while we wait for the reply from Nitto:

rut ro!
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1342

Spare on so fast that the photog missed it all
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1341

Was it the Gloves?
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1343

Yeah
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1339

Now we load the roof
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1338

Iwo Jima style.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1336

And tie it down
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1335http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=83&pictureid=1334

farnhamstj
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Bummer about the flat. I buy the road hazard with my tires. Considering what we do with our trucks it seems like we stack the odds. Kudos to Chip's for the good deal and everyone else involved.

coax
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Wow thats crazy. I'll be interested to hear what nitto says. The one thing I noticed about my nitto's before getting them mounted up was the weight and thickness of the sidewall compared to other tires (BFG's, my yoko snow tires and a few other off brands) and most reviews I've read seem to be along the same lines.

Glad you were able to get it taken care of by discount!

Corbet
05-11-2011, 08:31 AM
These are the first reports I've heard about sidewall issues with the TG's. I ran mine for 2 seasons, no issues.

I'm happy to report my new Generals have been great. Just wearing quickly but that's probably due to a lot of hard wheeling already this year.

farnhamstj
05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I shoved a stick though a sidewall of Nitto TG a couple years ago. Discount tire replaced it for me under their road hazard program. I've also flatted from a rock slicing open the tread of a BFG at. Flats tires happen, it's why we carry spares, plugs and compressors. Those are great pictures btw.

Hulk
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Those are great pictures btw.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Photographer?

corsair23
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Some pictures (All credit to Rick Janson) while we wait for the reply from Nitto:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Photographer?

:)

Inukshuk
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Rick Janson and his Nikon 5D