PDA

View Full Version : flipped jeep at the top of lead king basin

grntrdtaco
06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
anyone know whose jeep is on the roof in the stream at the top of lead king basin?

it had a full cage and no doors. it looked like it had been up there for a while. im sure its leaking fluids straight into the stream.

i would be willing to help in getting it out of there if someone is headed up. i can put a few pics up when i get home tonight.

lets get this thing out of the river at the very least. the recovery will be pretty difficult i think.

lead king road is still blocked by an avalanche near the bottom of the marble side. it could be driven through with a support vehicle to pull you back when you get stuck and probably early morning before it gets real soft.

corsair23
06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Pics for sure...

Sounds like something that might have been up there since last year? Did you get the license plate number?

grntrdtaco
06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
definitely from within the past +/- 2 weeks.

looked like someone tried to drive over a snow drift (that has since melted) and flopped it into the river.

i think the pics i have show a license plate, wont be home till about 7-8pm (unless they took the plate off) i have a shot from the back of the jeep.

its VERY well built up jeep. (drive shafts, suspension, decent tires, rollcage, no doors, etc..)
looked like they tried to winch off something.. (winch controller was out and smashed under the roof) and a bunch of line was spooled out. lots of tool boxes, spare fluids, etc were what looked like hastily piled up beside it and garbage that had fallen out of the jeep around the truck and in the river that i piled up with the tools/ rubbermaid boxes.

84cruzer
06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Be curious to see the pics, have a hard time believing any one would leave their rig up there. Has me wondering if it was stolen.

FJBRADY
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Road trip, let's go get it.....how far from denver is it?

corsair23
06-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Road trip, let's go get it.....how far from denver is it?

Quite a ways...Probably a 2 day deal or one very long day

The avalanche blocking the trail could prove problematic

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=43

rover67
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow, crazy.

I am interested in seeing the pics. Did you report it to the FS?

grntrdtaco
06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
the avalanche is not that big of a deal, could easily winch a lifted truck across it and you can access that part of the trail from both sides (i drove up marble side first, turned around and then went up the crystal side all the way back down the the slide. its about 2' deep and some places may be 3' its a section about 100' to some dirt then a deeper section about another 100' but that section goes downhill. with a truck on both sides you could get a truck through it no problem.

could also drag a pull pal through the slide a few times to hack it up a bit, get down to the ice on the bottom.

it would be a difficult recovery of the jeep, shelf road on a switchback. but there are some big pines you could set up snatch blocks. hook a line to the front bumper and pull the truck straight over pivoting off the back bumper onto its wheels then re rig and yank it out. there is no space for a straight pull. and i dont think you could roll it back up onto the road.

i am pretty sure its right here: (will confirm with my gps when i get home)
Circle is where jeep is and blue dashes is about where the avalanche is. road from crystal to the top is completely clear and dry, schofield to crystal is impassable for a while (road is washed out and has deep avalanche debris on it)

RockRunner
06-22-2010, 08:14 PM
We were there Memorial Day weekend and it was clear. I tried to drive over the snow bank that was blocking trail by the river crossing but on 35"s I was only able to get about 3/4 of the way up. I can't see how they would have flipped it unless they ran it up the ledge trying to get traction.

Steve, Marble/Crystal city is past Glenwood Springs and before Aspen. It is a drive to get up there for one day, a weekend would work. I would think with as much traffic as that trail sees it would be gone by the time we get organized and up there.

So where are the pics????

Air Randy
06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
We were there Memorial Day weekend and it was clear.

I thought you blew up your transfer case, did you get it fixed?

grntrdtaco
06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
here are three shots of it.

http://grab.by/559W

http://grab.by/559Z

http://grab.by/55a1

nakman
06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow pretty trail.. that looks like a fun recovery, are there any big trees nearby on the uphill side? Hopefully the extraction gets well documented, I'd like to see it.

60wag
06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Is there an official Forest Service policy regarding recovery of a vehicle like that? I expect that they wouldn't support a private effort when there is a risk of an oil spill in a creek. The effort to recover the ATV on Argentine pass a few years ago was sort of like this but there the vehicle was clearly abandoned an posed less risk to those who volunteered to try to remove it.

grntrdtaco
06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Wow pretty trail.. that looks like a fun recovery, are there any big trees nearby on the uphill side? Hopefully the extraction gets well documented, I'd like to see it.

nothing on the uphill side thats why i thought you would have to flip it over by attaching to the front bumper winching from the uphill side and then at the same time connecting from the downhill side and lowering it down on its wheels (by winching or driving) then pulling it out with the trees/snatch block on the uphill side

grntrdtaco
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Is there an official Forest Service policy regarding recovery of a vehicle like that? I expect that they wouldn't support a private effort when there is a risk of an oil spill in a creek. The effort to recover the ATV on Argentine pass a few years ago was sort of like this but there the vehicle was clearly abandoned an posed less risk to those who volunteered to try to remove it.

its already leaking all kinds of crap into the river

RockRunner
06-22-2010, 10:51 PM
I thought you blew up your transfer case, did you get it fixed?

That was after that trip a couple of days after to be exact.

BTW was that your manual we used to replace your gears? If so can I use it to fix mine? If that is what is wrong with it.:o

RockRunner
06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Snow has really melted since we were up there last. He must have tried to drive up there and slid to the left and back, sliding into the creek with some speed to flip over. We walked up that section, I could not get that far 3-4 weeks ago. Would be fun to go up there again but don't think I can, time wise that is.

Dr. Schlegs
06-23-2010, 12:39 AM
OK Less talkie-talkie, more action. :blah:

What do we need to do to get approval to recover this j$$p if any? Can we set a date to execute the recovery after the go ahead is given?

I would love to lend a hand on this project.

powderpig
06-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Roll it down hill into the trees, then recover it backwards out of the creek with the big trees from behind.
How was the steering? Did it look OK?

I do hope the FS fines the guy. This is what gives Offroading a bad name.

Hopefully the person is OK and learns a lesson.

bh4rnnr
06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I'd be down for a recovery. And yeah, that guy needs to be fined big time

MDH33
06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Did anyone look under the roof or in the trees to make sure the driver wasn't still there? Unless this was stolen, it's hard to believe someone would leave the rig and all the gear after a roll.

Air Randy
06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
BTW was that your manual we used to replace your gears? If so can I use it to fix mine? If that is what is wrong with it.:o

Go to TrailGear.com, at the top of the page select "Instructions" then select "Toyota 4.70Gears" then download and print it. Very detailed instructions with lots of pictures.

AxleIke
06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Go to TrailGear.com, at the top of the page select "Instructions" then select "Toyota 4.70Gears" then download and print it. Very detailed instructions with lots of pictures.

Better yet, go to marlincrawler.com and do the same.

This looks like a fun recovery. It may have been stolen. Should post up on co4x4.

FJBRADY
06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Anything being done with this? I am slamed this weekend, but if it's still there next weekend I would be willing to run down there if anyone else can help.

Air Randy
06-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Unless you guys track down the owner and have him present or have written permission from him, I wouldn't touch it.

Otherwise, technically, he could claim you inflicted more damage on the vehicle, you could be charged with criminal mischief, etc.

If it stays there, and I assume it is on Forest Service land, only the FS can declare it abandoned and order it's removal. But once they do that they are responsible for the vehicle and are charged with the care of it and it's contents.