PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of TIRES and now tickets..

PhatFJ
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I was just up at Harbor Freight and as I was leaving and climbing into my truck, a guy came up and asked me if I had received a ticket yet for having tires that stick out beyond my fender flairs. I replied that I have not at which point he stated that his son had just received one. So I asked him if it was in Jeffco, or which jurisdiction? He said that it was in Jeffco... Has anyone else received one of these tickets yet? Does anyone know more about this and can verify that they are indeed giving tickets for this? I know all the jurisdictions are hurting for money but this is ridiculous.. Oh, by the way he said that the reasoning for this is because the tires will throw more rocks into other cars. Seems to me that the only car that gets more rocks is my own when I am wheeling..

nuclearlemon
06-23-2010, 05:29 PM
he did something to piss off a cop probably.

TIMZTOY
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
i would second the pissing off the cop.. or possible he kid is 16 and hes just throwing the book at him.. as large of a 4wheeling community that resides in CO i doubt its illeagle, and if it is, its problly never enforced.

ScaldedDog
06-23-2010, 08:57 PM
It's illegal in Denver (and, I think, Greenwood Village), but there is no statewide statute. There's no way to find out now, but the kid's ticket should have the specific offense written on it.

Mark

RockRunner
06-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Mark is correct, it is illegal. I got a ticket for that reason a long time ago. Do not PO the cop, he just pulled me over and wrote the ticket.

BTW you will throw more rocks at other cars plus oncoming traffic, DAMHIK. With the current affairs of all the city's coffers I would not doubt it that the DA's are looking up all the infractions they can and sending them to the police departments to enforce, maybe lifts are next???

ScaldedDog
06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Tom, was your ticket in Denver?

Mark

RockRunner
06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
nope Boulder and one in Cherry Creek, they really did not like my old truck.

corsair23
06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Got pulled over years ago in my '82 pickup and the cop said he could write me up for the oversized tires as well...In the end he didn't...I guess he figured the speeding ticket of 72mph in a 55mph zone was enough :doh: - I didn't even know my truck could go that fast :hill: - That's when I learned the hard way about bigger tires and inaccurate speedometers...Truck said I was only doing 60mph, honest :D

powderpig
06-24-2010, 07:24 AM
You can always ask for the stature to be shown to you. I have done this several times when I have time to waste. If they do not like it, ask for a supervisor to come to the stop. I have done this as well.
I have been pulled over in colorado for lights being too bright(cop on a fishing trip), license plate too high(not illegal, cop on a fishing trip), license plate with no light(illegal). Never given tickets for this, but some conversations go on longer if I do not feel like the ticket is legal.
You may also want to see if this state requires mud flaps(I think it does). Yes the state also does not want tire out side the wheel well. So I think this is a state law, not just local law. I could be wrong.
Yes they are hurting and the revenue man is writing more unjust(meaning the laws my be on the books, but unjust in the sense they are laws any how) tickets these days.
Waiting to see the law man's response:D

Air Randy
06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
You can ask the officer to show you the statute, or the radar reading or whatever, but the legal precedent was set long ago that he does not have to show any of that to you. It's a matter of safety for both of you. None of the evidence or justifications needs to be presented until you go to trial. If that tactic worked for you in the past it must have been with inexperienced officers.

There is a state law that requires you to have mudflaps, but no state law about tires sticking out of fenders. There is a generic "altered suspension" law still on the books. It was deemed unconstitutional by the legislature as being too vague, but since it's on the books you could still get a ticket for it but if you contest it it will be dismissed.:rolleyes:

The bigger concern is city ordinances. I know Denver has one about tires sticking out but I've never bothered to look it up to see exacly what is or isn't considered legal. The story behind it is a Denver City Council woman's kid's car got his windshield broken by a vehicle in front of him. She got all spun up and eventually got a city ordinance passed making it a traffic offense and the Denver cops do seem to take it serious.

powderpig
06-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes it has worked, why should they not show the statute(you stated some legal precedent long ago). Who knows, they could be wrong(as in the case of the licence plate being too high). A speeding ticket is a speeding, but there are so many laws most of do not know about that these so called servants of the public claim to know more about. They should show you the statute. Most of these laws we do not know about until we get stopped is to allow the LEO to check us out to make sure we are not under the influence of some drug or other game they want to play.
If the state really had a interest in protecting people, we would go back to vehicle inspection, giving people time to take care of the problem. But then that creates a whole other can of worms. People would not like doing that any more then going to get the emissions tested. There is truely a lot of junk on the roads today that need to be retired.

Air Randy
06-24-2010, 09:03 AM
You're right, they could be wrong, though I think you are correct that the LEO may have used it as a reason to stop you but didn't write the ticket because he knew it wouldn't fly.

If he did write a ticket that wasn't supported by law the DA's office would toss it out and refuse to prosecute it, plus the cop would get read the riot act for writing it. Of course that assumes you choose to go to court versus just paying the ticket. I have actually seen the DA's office dismiss tickets and refund fines when people mailed them in. Most of the time though their case load is so heavy they don't review the tickets that people just pay.

powderpig
06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
OK, so after pursueing the statues for the state, There is no tire wider than the body as Randy states. We do not have to have splash guards (as the state calls mud flaps) on our trucks if under 10000 Gross VW. But the suspension law is interesting and most of us would not be allowed on the road the way it reads currently and if they wanted to enforce it, that statute is 42-4-233.
But real rub I guess is the city and county statutes That those LEO need to enforce. Just get more and more complicated the us As citizens.
Yes you are right. They have a big problem on their hands. I got a speeding ticket in Denver last year, They had over 500 people going to court the day I was assigned to go. I made the choice to not go that day and pay the fine. But in the future I will be going, How can they handle over 500 people in one day.
Not a easy solution at all, but I do believe there are too many laws that we as citizens do not know about, and the first time around we should not be fined, nor have to appear in court(waste of time for every one). A warning should be issued, logged in the computer system and then next time a ticket issued. It seems like they do not issue warning any more, just tickets.

DaveInDenver
06-24-2010, 10:32 AM
but I do believe there are too many laws that we as citizens do not know about
You Commit Three Felonies a Day (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842.html)

ScaldedDog
06-24-2010, 11:22 AM
But the suspension law is interesting and most of us would not be allowed on the road the way it reads currently and if they wanted to enforce it, that statute is 42-4-233.

Here's (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=70170) a thread I started a few years ago on Colorado4x4.org. The gist is that the law is still on the books, though rarely enforced. It is, however, probable cause for a stop, and is commonly used that way.

Mark