PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Help Needed

baja1d
06-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Picked up a 4-speed (H42) a couple of months ago for a tranny swap. I've got all the parts but the rear shaft that slips through the T/C has very mared threads. It apears that it was slid across a garage floor and unfortunately I cannot get the nut started. For some reason I over looked this issue when I purchased it but if this wasn't an issue there would be another!!! Anybody know if I can get this re-threaded at a machine shop or do I need to replace the shaft? If replacement is in order, how difficult is it to replace this piece?

Thanks in advance,

Travis

powderpig
06-25-2010, 10:03 AM
You may be able to file it to be able to thread the nut on(small trianglular one comes to mind first, beside the thread file). This would be a metric thread that my be difficult for you to find at most machine shops. They may have a Thread file that could work(a file that is make just for cleaning up threads, they can come in metric sizes, usually 8 different thread pitches on each file) use full tool to have, and I currently do not have one.
Maybe some one else may.

RicardoJM
06-25-2010, 10:06 AM
If it the threads that the pinion nut goes on, you may be able to clean them up with a thread file or run a die on there to get them in shape. It all depends upon how buggered up they are.

With regard to getting a new shaft; I had a 4speed with significant wear on the output shaft (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=12771&highlight=output+shaft) splines. I briefly looked into getting a new shaft; SOR has them used for a pretty price. In my case, I bought another transmission which was in much better shape.