PDA

View Full Version : 74 fj40 electrical

Gator1
06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
My Fj40 is having some weird elect problems.

intermittently lose the whole guage cluster... just cuts out but comes back,
some lights in the cluster (high beam, left turn sig indicator, illumination lights) don't work or only work sometimes. looks like the whole back plate of the instr cluster is some kind of circuit board that the bulbs connect with.

and my guage lights and horn seem to come on only sometimes.

power at the fuse block and I put in all new fuses.

wierd how horn/guage lights seem to go out and back together.

anyone with an old fJ have similar kind of probs? tips? suggestions?

Doug

Chris
06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Check your grounds. ;)

TIMZTOY
06-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Don't just check your grounds. Unbolt them and clean them then put them back. Also any loose connection will cause this problem. Typically the battery + & - but also wiring harness connections anywere in the car. If your having several items go out at the same time. Locate that connection either + or - and wiggle it to see I they go out. And work your way back from the lights twords the battery

ttubb
06-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Don't just check your grounds. Unbolt them and clean them then put them back. Also any loose connection will cause this problem. Typically the battery + & - but also wiring harness connections anywere in the car. If your having several items go out at the same time. Locate that connection either + or - and wiggle it to see I they go out. And work your way back from the lights twords the battery

X2 - You will find this and fix it! T

Gator1
06-27-2010, 07:52 PM
grounds grounds grounds... Most electrical is original. this is gonna be fun. thank god it is a simple vehicle. lots of room.

treerootCO
06-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I had similar issues. Clean the grounds for sure but mine was caused by two things. OEM fuses that were old. I could pull on each end and they would come apart. The second was the fuses were replaced but the tabs were corroded. Cleaned the tabs that hold the fuse and it all worked again.

Gator1
07-19-2010, 08:47 AM
isolated and replaced horn regulator... Original part was bad.

Now to figure out the guage cluster...

cleaned every ground I could find, I think now it is all about the back of the cluster,not sure how to deal with that...

Really want it all to work ;-)

SteveH
07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Be sure to pull the battery wire before you pull the instrument cluster - lest you short the ammeter lugs against the chassis and have free fireworks in the dash.

You can use a .22 cal bronze brush, in a drill, to clean your fuse contacts on an FJ40. I heartily agree with removing each fuse, being sure the metal caps aren't loose, and cleaning the fuse sockets, tightening them if necessary by bending the contacts.

CardinalFJ60
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=SteveH;155906]Be sure to pull the battery wire before you pull the instrument cluster - lest you short the ammeter lugs against the chassis and have free fireworks in the dash. QUOTE]

Just did that. :rant: I had to have it powered to test things....just butter-fingered it and hit the chasis. damn.

Jacket
07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
me three. Fixed the fuel gauge, but fried the Ammeter in the process. :homer:

Gator1
08-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Put a new ground wire off - battery terminal to chassis and my instruments all started to work... guage lights too!

was told to ground it to the engine block too...

You guys were right about "grounds", I just needed to add another one!