PDA

View Full Version : Kaymar Bumper Question

LETSROLL
07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi All, I'm looking for some opinions on this Kaymar Bumper (see picture)

MAF has it online for $3,173. I'm assuming that's US Dollars?
TLC4x4.com has it online for $2,082.

First, does anyone have experience with this Bumper? I like the jerry can holders and short swing arms.

Second, does anyone have experience doing business with TLC4x4.com?

Thanks, John

farnhamstj
07-06-2010, 09:54 AM
You live in Boulder. Why not get a Slee? Shop locally.

LETSROLL
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I really like the Slee bumper, but it doesn't have the jerry can holder. If it did, it would be a no-brainer...

Corbet
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
My neighbor has had one on his truck for a long time. Its a nice bumper but very heavy. The side protection "wings" are not the strongest out there. For $3K I would look elsewhere. At $2K if that includes the swing outs OK. There are other rear bumpers with gas can carriers available. Hanna and 4x4labs. Both can be had around $2K with the gas can carriers.

simps80
07-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I really like the Slee bumper, but it doesn't have the jerry can holder. If it did, it would be a no-brainer...

ditto

thelal
07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Another option if you want a dual swing is:
- get a regular Kaymar or Slee (or get 2nd-hand one)
- shorten the regular swing out and 'move' where it connects
- get a short swing-out fab'ed so can hold a jerry can etc..
I would guess $500 would get that done at a local welders/fab shop

nakman
07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Kaymar is the perfect bumper for me, I still like it better than all other options, even years later. I got mine from Man-a-Fre, Slee didn't (and still doesn't) carry them http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/Kaymar%20Rear%20Tow%20Bumpers%2080%20Series.htm

But man those prices have gone up... I paid $1400 for the bumper w/ pivots and one tire swingout, probably 7-8 years ago.

LETSROLL
07-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Awesome feedback. Thanks. Does anyone have experience buying from TLC4x4.com? They're almost a thousand cheaper than MAF. Sometimes that means there's a problem...

Kaymar is the perfect bumper for me, I still like it better than all other options, even years later. I got mine from Man-a-Fre, Slee didn't (and still doesn't) carry them http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/Kaymar%20Rear%20Tow%20Bumpers%2080%20Series.htm

But man those prices have gone up... I paid $1400 for the bumper w/ pivots and one tire swingout, probably 7-8 years ago.

wesintl
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
what about the 4x4 labs. They have different configurations for a jerry can/cooler/fridge/etc. better departure than kaymar

84cruzer
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Have Proffitts Cruisers make you one. That Kaymar is way to much $$

84cruzer
07-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Here are some pics of my Proffitts rear bumper.

LETSROLL
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
That looks sweet. Too many options now. arrrrggghhh. What to do what to do!

Here are some pics of my Proffitts rear bumper.

DaveInDenver
07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Have Proffitts Cruisers make you one. That Kaymar is way to much $$
No kidding, for $2.5K~$3K I would seriously look at getting someone local to fab it instead.

baileyfj40
07-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I've a dual pivot Kaymar on the back of my 62 and love it. It has been drug over some tuff stuff over the years. I think I paid in the 1400 range probably 7 8 years ago.

nakman
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Best feature of the Kaymar IMHO is the latch for the tire- it stays shut, doesn't rattle much, and you can open it with one hand. In fact you can be carrying 3 grocery bags, a baby, and have a phone wedged between your chin and shoulder and still flip open the tire and get into the back... this situation may not come up for you, but for me it's a regular occurrence. Point being local fab may be your ticket, and my suggestion is look hard at how the thing will open and close, and what amount of latch flipping and pin pulling it may or may not involve. There's nothing worse than rendering a perfectly useful rear hatch and tailgate less useful because it's a pain in the butt to flip open the tire carrier..

Now as for keeping the tire open, the Kaymar system definitely falls short there. I have experimented with additional gas struts, a beefier flip-down bolt deal, but ultimately I have just resolved to using gravity or the tailgate, depending on which way the truck is leaning. After a few years with this method I'm not sure I need to go back to a mechanical way to keep the thing swung open, particularly if that requires a second hand to close it.

LETSROLL
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Again, awesome feedback. Thanks.

Best feature of the Kaymar IMHO is the latch for the tire- it stays shut, doesn't rattle much, and you can open it with one hand. In fact you can be carrying 3 grocery bags, a baby, and have a phone wedged between your chin and shoulder and still flip open the tire and get into the back... this situation may not come up for you, but for me it's a regular occurrence. Point being local fab may be your ticket, and my suggestion is look hard at how the thing will open and close, and what amount of latch flipping and pin pulling it may or may not involve. There's nothing worse than rendering a perfectly useful rear hatch and tailgate less useful because it's a pain in the butt to flip open the tire carrier..

Now as for keeping the tire open, the Kaymar system definitely falls short there. I have experimented with additional gas struts, a beefier flip-down bolt deal, but ultimately I have just resolved to using gravity or the tailgate, depending on which way the truck is leaning. After a few years with this method I'm not sure I need to go back to a mechanical way to keep the thing swung open, particularly if that requires a second hand to close it.

60wag
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Having to open a single swing out to open the hatch is a big enough pain already. I would hate to have a double swing out like some of the bumpers have.

The jumbo shot pins on my Slee are nice - when they aren't bound up with dirt or ice. If you pull and clean them frequently, they work well. After a long dusty drive, they collect a film of grit that makes them bind. And more than once, the pin was frozen and I opted to access the rear area through the side door rather than the tailgate.