PDA

View Full Version : Question Abt Holy Cross Trail

davework
07-12-2010, 12:52 AM
I've got a pretty much stock '94 80 and we are planning a hike in the Holy Cross Wilderness early August. We want to enter the trail at the Hunky Dory TH which is at the end of the Holy Cross Trail.

Can anyone give me a good idea how far up I could make it before we'd have to hoof it the rest? Is there room to park anywhere on the trail (if this is even allowed, going to call the rangers tomorrow)?

Thanks all!

farnhamstj
07-12-2010, 09:43 AM
You can get as far as French's creek if your truck has locking diffs and you are a good driver. My estimate is that leaves you 3 miles from the trail head you speak of. There is some room to park there. If you are alone I'd suggest going by the Missouri lake trail head and parking it at the upper entrance to HC trail. You'll be walking an extra 3 miles but it could save you a great deal of headache.

Fancy Lake is one of my favorite hikes in the area. It's about 5 miles in on Homestake road.

RockRunner
07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I would think you can go up a mile or so but with a stock rig it makes it pretty tough.

What kind of tires do you have?

Are you still using your running boards?

Do you have a good spotter?

What level is your driving skill?

I am sure you can drive it up further but just remember the other folks behind you. If you get stuck on a section you should not have tried you may get some flack.

Others will chime in that have 80's with more vehicle knowledge, I am going of personal experience seeing other rigs going up there.

davework
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys, I think we'll just hike it up. The rangers said there isn't really a parking area on the trail. I've got stock size everything, no running boards, but do have factory locking diffs and some basic experience, no self-recovery gear though. I'll have a truck full of fellow backpackers as spotters, but I'm thinking it'll take longer to deal with the trail than it would take to head up on foot. Building a '79 40 that I'll take back up one day with different priorities. The hike should be excellent, we are doing the fall creek cross creek loop, can't wait.

farnhamstj
07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Enjoy the hike. I think you are making the correct decision. I'm in Vail if you need any help.

FJBRADY
07-13-2010, 08:42 AM
X2

Here's a trip report from last September if you need further justification on hiking.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10850