PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Plate 5" x 6" 1/4" thick

RicardoJM
07-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I am in need of a small piece of aluminum plate to be used in making a fluid heat riser for a 1F intake manifold. Does anyone have a small piece sitting around?

RockRunner
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I might have some, need to check the thickness.

Uncle Ben
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I am in need of a small piece of aluminum plate to be used in making a fluid heat riser for a 1F intake manifold. Does anyone have a small piece sitting around?

You can use 1/4" mild steel plate too!

RicardoJM
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I might have some, need to check the thickness.

That would be great. As I understand it, I could get by with 1/2" thick as well. The bottom of the F manifold is actually slanted and in one respect, thicker would allow for some "carve out" on the high side of the slant. I'm not sure it really matters, but I have noticed that the commercial fluid heat risers for the 1F are not flat plate but actually have a "bowl" in them.

You can use 1/4" mild steel plate too!

Yes. With the manifold itself already being aluminum, I'd like to have the type of metal be the same. No technical reason behind that, just the way I'm starting out on the project.

DaveInDenver
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Yes. With the manifold itself already being aluminum, I'd like to have the type of metal be the same. No technical reason behind that, just the way I'm starting out on the project.
Fair enough, coolant can become electrolytic as the corrosion inhibitors are depleted. That happens as oxygen dissolves in the cooling system or if you don't use distilled water. Anywho, dissimilar metals immersed in an electrolyte = galvanic corrosion. You can make your own small battery!

Uncle Ben
07-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Fair enough, coolant can become electrolytic as the corrosion inhibitors are depleted. That happens as oxygen dissolves in the cooling system or if you don't use distilled water. Anywho, dissimilar metals immersed in an electrolyte = galvanic corrosion. You can make your own small battery!

Very true and that 20 square inch plate combined with all the brass and iron fittings combined with the cast iron bock, stainless steel dowel pins, impeller and thermostat along with the aluminum water neck could really cause havoc!

frontrange
07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I have plenty of 1/4" in stock. Can cut any size with the CNC plasma, but I'm out of town all week. If you still are looking Friday when I get home PM me and I'll let you know for sure.

L43dean
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Attn. Dave in Denver and RicardoJM, Dave; I recieved from you an old part refered to as a "2 F header intake blockoff" years ago. There are two tubes welded through it and four mounting holes near the corners of the steel plate. Is this what Ricardo is after?

RicardoJM
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Attn. Dave in Denver and RicardoJM, Dave; I recieved from you an old part refered to as a "2 F header intake blockoff" years ago. There are two tubes welded through it and four mounting holes near the corners of the steel plate. Is this what Ricardo is after?

It could be. The pattern for an F intake (3 holes to mount) is different than the pattern for the 2F intake (5 holes to mount). I am running with an F intake. Click on this link (http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/heatriser.htm) to see both - I need to top one.

DaveInDenver
07-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I think so, but my FJ40 had a 2F.

L43dean
07-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Ricardo, I have an old version of 17171B-for the 2F. This based upon the MAF sight photo's. You can try it.

RicardoJM
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Ricardo, I have an old version of 17171B-for the 2F. This based upon the MAF sight photo's. You can try it.

Corsair23 also has 17171B and it is in my garage. I picked it up to get my hands on just how simple the setup is. I've checked and it will not work with my intake manifold because of the differences.