PDA

View Full Version : any value in sony vaio

nuclearlemon
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
i've got a 505 series vaio that has issues with it's windows system. was originally w95, but appears to have been upgraded to the ever so modern w98. any reason to look into getting it fixed, or is it pretty much scrap?

Old40Dog
07-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Nak,

My wife, Idelle, has used a Vaio, Model PGC 3F-3L laptop, which has Vista on it and has had minimal issues for personal use for over 1 1/2 years . Not bad for the money. Just my $0.02!

Hulk
07-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Just my two cents, but if it originally had Win95 on it, that puts it as a 1998 model or earlier. My guess is that even the schools won't take such an old PC as a donation -- it's just too old to be useful. I say take it to Best Buy and let them recycle it.

Or smash it with a baseball bat first for fun, then take it to Best Buy for recycling (free).

SteveH
07-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Goodwill recycles computers just like that one by wiping the drives, putting Ubuntu on them, and reselling them at their stores. Ubuntu is so lightweight that it works on older machines. This process provides training for their workers. They also still accept CRT monitors, so you could get rid of it that way. Take a tax deduction if you can.

Max street value strikes me as $20-50, so it's not really worth selling.

If you had the original Windows distribution disk, then it might be worth reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows, but even that would only be 'sorta' worth the effort.

RedCreeper
07-14-2010, 09:39 AM
My .02 is it wont have enough memory also to keep up with todays systems. Unless that has been done also. Also just like autos once you start to rebuild you open all kinds of problems that may be hidden.