PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Pass/ Weston Pass/ July 25

John
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
For those of us who have to work July 23 and 24 and cannot make the weekend camping event at Camp Hale (Where I would love to be) I suggest we hammer over Colorado's highest continuous pass road at 13,222 feet and check out the remnants of the North London Mine. We can explore the Leadville mining area and have a picnic lunch on the trail. We can explore Leadville,former home of the illustrious Horace and Baby Doe Tabor. Return by Weston Pass via 285 or those who live north of Denver can return via Copper mountain and I70. This is one of the great vistas in Colorado,looking west,and is an easy 4wd for any Toyota. Pam and I did this twice in 2009 and it is a great introduction to the high country of Colorado. Too bad the RAM bar in Leadville is long closed! I suggest we meet at a location near 285 and Hampden at 8am or at the Mosquito Gulch turnoff,just before Alma Colorado at 10:30 am and head west. This is a long drive,so mapquest from your home for time and check out www.traildamage.com for info.

marked
07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure if you'll be able to get over Mosquito pass by then. We tried yesterday from Alma and had to turn around less than a mile from the summit. There's still snow and ice blocking the road, probably at least 6 feet thick.

John
07-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the update, I will try to make sure it is open or reschedule as it is melting fast. I may have a chance to run up late next week. A closer alternate would be Georgia Pass/Glacier Ridge. Leave early and look for Moose!

Crash
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Somebody has to be the first through, even if it takes a little work! That stuff will be gone, or close enough to it, by the date that you have proposed, John. Go for it and bring your shovel!!

MDJ
07-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I’m in ill bring a shovel. My Dad is going to run with me too.

Jacket
07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Iím in ill bring a shovel. My Dad is going to run with me too.

Careful now - this wheelin' stuff is addictive..... :cool:

John
07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
This run is on,we can always let Crash crash the drift. I did the Marble,Lizard Lake,Crystal Mill, Crystal, Lead King loop this weekend,the temps were really high and the snow melting like crazy. My stock 60 is not too fast,so does 10:30 departure at the Mosquito Gulch turnoff,just south of Alma, sound like a reasonable start? I will leave DU at 8 or so. I bet it is ready.

MDJ
07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I was looking up the meeting location I didn’t see anything that said Mosquito Gulch turnoff. Is that 9 and Co Rd 10?

jimlime
07-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I will be there. I am looking forward to my first run with the club.

John
07-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Yes, there is a sign that says Mosquito Gulch at the intersection of Rt.9 and Road 10,right before Alma.

Ron Helmuth
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Mosquito Pass is now open-I made it through there on Sunday-the sign before Park City still said closed but some Jeep guys told me they punched through there.

So I loaded up their tire tracks with lots of rock and was able to go through and then a FJ40 dude and his son were behind me just a few minutes later and made it seem easy. Good thing cause then I realized I had left my shovel at home....

The Heep guys even led me astray on a side spur near the mine to a nearby lake, there was a couple of pretty deep water crossings that were fun to swim through in my newly body lifted 3rd gen.

Thanks Slava (formerly of IRBIS) that extra inch made all the difference!